Sway Bar Noise - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-26-2016, 03:41 PM   #29

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Sway Bar vs WDH

A noisy sway bar may just be too tight.
But, after many miles of use, the brake pad material bulds up on the flat bar.
That should be cleaned off, maybe once a year, by pulling the bar out and brushing off with a wire brush.
The friction adjustment should be loosened before reversing.

As others have said. A sway bar is NOT needed IF your ball mount fits tightly in the receiver, the ball is snug in the hitch socket, and you drive with a steady hand on the wheel -- avoid jerky steering.

A WDH (Weight Distributing Hitch) or Load leveling hitch should not be needed with most light weight trailers. They add dead weight which is contrary to the concept. But, if your TV sags too much with the trailer hooked up, they can help.
"You pays your money and takes your choice"

Old 09-26-2016, 03:49 PM   #30

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
Personally when I start out from home, campsite, or otherwise parked, if I don't hear the "groans" I stop and tighten the bar, but never enough that it's noisy once I'm underway.

Walt

Old 09-26-2016, 04:20 PM   #31

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
As others have said. A sway bar is NOT needed IF your ball mount fits tightly in the receiver, the ball is snug in the hitch socket, and you drive with a steady hand on the wheel -- avoid jerky steering.
At the least, your statement is an absolute one.. and there are few absolutes in this world.

Also, you might tell that to Toyota, who says
If the gross trailer weight is over 2000 lbs (907 kg), a sway control device with sufficient capacity is required.*

So even if the trailer drives fine and does not sway, one could be in a legal gray area if you have a collision and sway is a contributing factor.

---
* from 2015 Sienna manual.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:04 AM   #32

Name: Lee
Trailer: Looking
TN
Every interstate highway I travel has commercial trucks/ tractors/ semis pulling 53' trailers in excess of the 70 mph speed limit. 78 is the usual speed. People start getting tickets at 80.
Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 AM   #33

Name: Jacqueline
Trailer: Scamp
Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Davis View Post
Every interstate highway I travel has commercial trucks/ tractors/ semis pulling 53' trailers in excess of the 70 mph speed limit. 78 is the usual speed. People start getting tickets at 80.

Not on 13" tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 09-27-2016, 06:22 AM   #34

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
True enough.. there is no respect for speed limit law anymore.

But what is your point? Is it that you need to keep up while towing your fiberglass camper? Or are you comparing the commercial trucks to trailers with the 65 MPH speed rated tires?
Old 09-27-2016, 08:18 AM   #35

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLynn View Post
Not on 13" tires.

Also very large heavy tractors with humongous amounts of HP. and several wheels. Carl
Old 09-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #36

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Sway Bar Noise

Quote:
I have not observed that on our rural Arizona interstates. The speed limit is 75 for all vehicles. Most semis are going about 70. I haven't noticed particularly aggressive enforcement, but flagrant speed violations appear to the exception, especially among commercial vehicles. My opinion is that the CDL process has made a difference in the way commercial drivers operate.

I have observed more variation among drivers of pull-behind RVs. Some do blast along at 75, but most seem to settle in around 65-70.

Now California, with its 55 mph speed limit for trucks and trailers, is another story. No one goes 55.
Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 AM   #37

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
I have never heard anything out of my friction sway bar. Maybe it is silent, maybe I am deaf or can't hear it way back there, maybe I play CCR tunes too loud, or maybe I am just really good at ignoring it. I do not have it very tight, although tightness on these things is pretty subjective.
Don't underestimate the ability to ignore ambient noises. Consider people who live near interstates or railroad tracks and never notice the traffic.
Once a sound is normalized in your mind you tend to block it out.
I collect antique face wound clocks and have 18 of them running throughout my house, without deliberately listening I seldom hear any of them. In fact there are times when I have determined to listen on the hour to enjoy the sound and check for synchronization only to notice that it is 10 minutes past the hour and I forgot to listen!
It is weird though to come home after an extended absence to an errily silent house, that is until "quiet" is restored by starting all the clocks again.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #38

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2000 17' Casita Freedom Deluxe...Tow vehicle 2015 Toyota Tacoma Dble Cab V6 Prerunner
California
Keep in mind that most truckers are semi professional and have in many case attended some type of training and most have many hrs under their belt.... While in many cases a very large number of campers only take their trailers out a few times a year
A just cant believe anyone feels safe towing a trailer at 75 mph
Just because you can and others do it , it makes no sense to me

You can find me in the slow lane

Old 09-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #39

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Keep in mind that most truckers are semi professional and have in many case attended some type of training and most have many hrs under their belt.... While in many cases a very large number of campers only take their trailers out a few times a year
Maybe it is that I have hordes of experience, and am towing some kind of trailer almost every day, speed has absolutely no bearing on me feeling unsafe at all. I find a properly loaded trailer tows up to 75 mph, no problem.

I usually am travelling at the speed limit, unless all traffic is doing a bit more, and never over 75 mph. I only pass on two lane highways when someone is well under the speed limit.

Folks definitely have to be comfortable and confident whatever speed they tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 07:22 PM   #40

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post

You can find me in the slow lane

"Semi" professional, and "Road" scholars too!
Old 09-28-2016, 03:37 PM   #41

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
Why is it that no U-Haul rental trailers have anti-sway devices or equalizer hitches? They seem to trail just fine.
Old 09-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Why is it that no U-Haul rental trailers have anti-sway devices or equalizer hitches? They seem to trail just fine.
Don't know if they still do, but they used to have a warning on the trailer not to exceed 45 mph!

This is one of several hits I got by googling "UHaul trailer accident":
http://www.uhaulsafetyalert.org/UHaul_problems.htm