Sway Bar Noise - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #43

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Why is it that no U-Haul rental trailers have anti-sway devices or equalizer hitches? They seem to trail just fine.
No small fiberglass trailer comes equipped with a friction sway device.

Just fine is subjective, but U-Haul was built to rent and so it was kept simple, like limited water systems and equipment. No brakes (or surge brakes?), sealed wheel bearings, etc.
Renters are commonly rookies without the skills or incentives to maintain complex systems, so the U-Haul had to be tough and simple.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:54 AM   #44

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Why is it that no U-Haul rental trailers have anti-sway devices or equalizer hitches? They seem to trail just fine.
Floyd answered this well but I would simple like to add that all trailers if set up correctly, stowed correctly and matched to the right vehicle should tow just fine without a anti-sway devise. If it does not then something is very very wrong and it needs to be fixed.

An Anti sway bar should simple be added as an extra insurance policy in the event of a one off situation that results in a big wag. If it actually will stop a big wag in an emergency one off fast maneuver situation is a whole different story

The majority of equalizer (WDH) hitches are not anti sway devices although some of the newer types do have anti sway built into them.

A equalizer hitch or a weight distribution hitch which ever term one would like to use to describe them are commonly used when the trailer being pulled results in the vehicle towing it ending up with its front end sitting up to high. Which will result in a very unstable tow. It would be a pretty good bet that U-Haul tries their best to avoid having their customers rent trailers that are to heavy on the tongue for what ever vehicle they are intending to tow it with and they give their customers clear instructions on how to load the trailer to avoid overloading the vehicle's back end.

I would add that yes I have seen some pretty scary looking U-Hauls being towed on the highway but I would like to think that the better U-Haul dealers give their customers some guidance to try and avoid those situations. But sadly I suspect it is just like folks who own their own trailers, some simple choose to ignore best practises when it comes to towing.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #45

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Floyd answered this well but I would simple like to add that all trailers if set up correctly, stowed correctly and matched to the right vehicle should tow just fine without a anti-sway devise. If it does not then something is very very wrong and it needs to be fixed.

An Anti sway bar should simple be added as an extra insurance policy in the event of a one off situation that results in a big wag. If it actually will stop a big wag in an emergency one off fast maneuver situation is a whole different story

Again "just fine" is subjective.
Last winter we were on our way to Sebring. Driving on I-24 in TN, traffic was down to one lane at about 30MPH. The left lane and the shoulder had about 8-10" of refrozen snow. We were doing fine until a tractor-trailer decided to pass the line of traffic. When he got his tractor just passed our rig, he started to loose control and decided to take back our lane.
He forced us off onto the shoulder which was extremely rough. In a moment he had cleared our truck. I returned to my lost lane but only after suffering the worst sway I had ever experienced, as well as having the rear of my truck slide and requiring correction in both directions.
After the trailer had wagged back a forth hard enough to blow the end cap off my bumper, ejecting my sewer hose, we were able to continue without further incident.
Now whether it can be proved or not, I strongly contend that my friction sway device was instrumental in saving us from a catastrophe.

Of course it is flattering to argue that it was entirely due to the right tow vehicle perfectly matched to a correctly set-up trailer and superior driving on my part.
but the sway bar adds an additional margin of control when all of the above is just not enough.

Still I like the sway control for the small additional comfort it provides when driving on a dry roads on sunny days.
Old 10-04-2016, 01:56 PM   #46

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Over on the Casita Forum I was told to tighten our friction anti-sway bar (which came with the trailer) as tight as I could. That made quite a racket just starting out, so I backed it off. Curt (the manufacturer) says no threads should be showing. Here's their instructions:

https://www.curtmfg.com/masterlibrar..._17200_INS.PDF

And here's a video from e-Trailer:

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 02:01 PM   #47

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Again "just fine" is subjective.
Last winter we were on our way to Sebring. Driving on I-24 in TN, traffic was down to one lane at about 30MPH. The left lane and the shoulder had about 8-10" of refrozen snow. We were doing fine until a tractor-trailer decided to pass the line of traffic. When he got his tractor just passed our rig, he started to loose control and decided to take back our lane.
He forced us off onto the shoulder which was extremely rough. In a moment he had cleared our truck. I returned to my lost lane but only after suffering the worst sway I had ever experienced, as well as having the rear of my truck slide and requiring correction in both directions.
After the trailer had wagged back a forth hard enough to blow the end cap off my bumper, ejecting my sewer hose, we were able to continue without further incident.
Now whether it can be proved or not, I strongly contend that my friction sway device was instrumental in saving us from a catastrophe.

Of course it is flattering to argue that it was entirely due to the right tow vehicle perfectly matched to a correctly set-up trailer and superior driving on my part.
but the sway bar adds an additional margin of control when all of the above is just not enough.

Yup all very subjective.

But I think you have just confirmed what I said.

An anti sway bar is a good thing to have in those one off situations that you never know when there going to happen - such as being forced off the road by a truck. ;-)

Glad to hear it worked for you. As we both know having an anti sway bar is not going to guarantee that you are saved 100% of the time in some not so normal towing situations/incidents.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #48

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Our sway bar is silent at least 90% of the time, only making a sound when the trailer is not in line with the tow vehicle. The reality is turns are rare part of driving. There's no doubt that too tight is bad.

When I leave a campsite and the sway bar does not make a sound, I stop to check to see if I tightened it before leaving.

When a Newbie I asked on a forum if I should install an anti sway bar. The response was that it is inexpensive insurance. In our 16 years that insurance returned value twice.

We have also towed without an anti-sway bar, the year we borrowed my son's Casita and the year we bought our Scamp, towing the Scamp up the east coast without a sway bar.
We never experienced sway and we tow with a very light tongue, about 200 lbs.

We keep weight low and axle centered in our trailers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote