Sway Bar recommendations - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-14-2003, 01:48 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Also, the cooler you keep your tranny fluid, the longer it lasts. Even if you keep it 5 degrees cooler that is conciderable life of fluid. Personally I think if you only have $100 to spend on a trans, you are way money ahead to change your fluid and replace it with a good synthetic (no mixes) than to add a cooler but thats just me. Make sure to get a "full" fluid change too, not just a drop of the pan and away you go.

If you have the money, do both, of course but chances are you need a fluid change anyway so upgrade to the good stuff. For those with a deeper pocket: full fluid change, www.redlineoil.com, and a trans cooler.

Rich

Old 05-14-2003, 07:10 AM   #16

Drill vs weld

I'm not sure how this would do, but it may be an answer to the drill vs weld question. The only thing it says is that it is not to be used with surge brakes. Best I can figure out is that surge brakes are the ones that do not use controllers..Like UHaul uses on the larger utility trailers.

Adapter Kit

Old 05-17-2003, 12:33 PM   #17

sway bars overdrive etc

:wave I tow with a Toyota tundra that so far I haven't had to take out of overdrive, the astro is one other that can tow in overdrive, Now let me clarify my statement. Any vehicle should be able to tow in overdrive until it gets to:O hunting where it should be,:sad then by all means take it out until you are on safe ground, if you've owned & towed with your vehicle for any length of time you will know from experience when to down shift.:r My tundra has a 4.7 V8 in it which is very close to a Ford 289 and altho I have not towed in the Rockies yet and that will probably be when I have to eat crow,:red but rest assured I will be ready to push the button. I'm not trying to be disagreeable at all but if you are driving a standard shift you certainly know by experience when to downshift and so with auto's. I own a sway bar but haven't seen the need to use it as yet. On a lighter tow vehicle I would as would I the dwh which to this point I haven't used
Old 05-17-2003, 05:20 PM   #18

Sway bar

A sway bar is kinda like wearing a life vest in a boat...when the time comes that ya KNOW ya need it, it's too late.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:03 AM   #19

Installation

It seems that all the sway bars are designed to go on the passenger side. I have noticed that some say either side, but handle would be upside down.

Has anyone installed theirs on the driver's side, what kind was it, and are there any problems with doing that?

Thanks.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:42 PM   #20

Indeed, surge brakes are the kind used on UHaul and boat trailers, and a sway control (not sway bar, BTW everybody, those are bars on the front and rear of your truck/SUV that keep the chassis flatter during turns by transferring weight between wheels) would interfere with surge brake operation.

Remember, *before* putting on a sway control, be sure your trailer is properly balanced with enuf (not too much) tongue weight and the tow vehicle can handle the weight, otherwise you are only applying a bandaid to cover the problem and it will resurface dramatically (and expensively) at higher speeds. A sway control is not a Silver Bullet for a bad setup...

Pete and Rats

PS For the forces involved on these Eggs, the bolt-on stuf is sufficient. Best way to do the tongue ball would be to design a pair of plates that would go *around* the tongue, with the ball plate bolted to it, to avoid welding or drilling altogether. I've used one of the ball mounts that mounts on the hitch ball shank with a heavier trailer and it worked fine.
Old 05-19-2003, 02:51 PM   #21

Pete

>>A sway control is not a Silver Bullet for a bad setup...

I totally agree. My unit seems to function very, very well together. There was only once that I encountered even the slightest 'wiggle' and there were many, many contributing factors.

Thought for me, it might just be cheap insurance before heading out on a long trip.