Sway Bars - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I plan to tow a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe with my 2000 Honda Odyssey. Rather than a WDH, I plan to install air bags in the rear coil springs for the necessary lift-and-leveling.

There seems to be some disagreement about whether I will need a sway bar with this combination. And, the possibility of noise and grinding in rainy weather leads me to wonder if it is desirable to install a sway bar. Please let me know what your experience has been in a rig like this. Thanks. h

Old 01-27-2010, 04:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
I would go with a WDH over airbags. The airbags won't distribute the weight any better, they'll just fight the weight that's already there. I have a self-leveling suspension on my van and I'm still thinking about getting a WDH. I had a lot of power steering noise last time I took the trailer out, even with the self-leveling suspension.

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Curtis:
Total trailer weight 2960 lbs, of which 160 lbs is tongue weight.

Trailer(1982 Fiber Stream) and tow vehicle (1999 Toyota 4Runner) are essentially perfectly level. The wiggle incidents all had similar components:

1. downhill, just leaving or setting up for a turn
2. speed at or above 60 mph
3. decelerating

The solution in all cases was to accelerate, and then apply trailer brakes, and very slowly decelerate to 55 mph or lower. some of thw wiggles were pretty wicked.

Vic
Until you add at the minimum 140 pounds to your tongue weight your an accident waiting to happen.
Sway controls are band aids meant to control minor sway caused by road surfaces or the semi that passes you.
In my younger days as a Sheriffs Deputy I investigated many trailer accidents and most of them were caused by improper loading resulting in not enough weight on the tongue.
I'm 67 and have been towing rec trailers, horse trailers and boat trailers all of my life and have never had the need for a sway control
I tow my 16' Scamp with my 07 Tacoma with Airlift air bags, a standard hitch and no sway bar. I love Nevada and Colorado because I can tow at the maximum speed limit of 70 MPH.
If I seem blunt it is only because I have been towing for about 45 years, know what I am talking about and want you to enjoy you trailer as much as I have..
Go to a welding shop and ask about having enough 4"X 6" solid steel stock welded to the tongue of your trailer to get the weight up.
Be safe,
John
Old 01-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #18

Trailer: Cloud 13 ft and Compact Jr
Minnesota
Perry really is correct. You need toget tounge weight up to about 300 pounds. Next deal with how your tow vehicle handles 300 lbs on the tail, either air bags or WDH. When you have that we could talk about sway bar.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #19

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I plan to tow a 17' Casita Liberty Deluxe with my 2000 Honda Odyssey. Rather than a WDH, I plan to install air bags in the rear coil springs for the necessary lift-and-leveling.

There seems to be some disagreement about whether I will need a sway bar with this combination. And, the possibility of noise and grinding in rainy weather leads me to wonder if it is desirable to install a sway bar. Please let me know what your experience has been in a rig like this. Thanks. h
Because the Odyssey is front wheel drive, you'll need a WDH.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #20

Name: William
Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
Florida
I gotta add my 2 cents worth, I'm going to suggest adding weight to the tongue as has been suggested but nobody has mentioned the fact that these axles may have to be aligned as well. In our area we have a bunch of folks who manufacture tandem trailers to haul cars, mowers, motor cycles etc and they are good at what they do. Find yourself one of these places in your area and go talk to the foreman or an engineer and get an education. Those folk are just like us, they love to tell you what they know, they may even do the alignment for you and make more suggestions to improve your towing experience. Like Perry I have been towing a variety of trailers since the mid fifties and he is spot on, more tongue weight to bring it up to about 12% of the trailer weight. The problem with depending on a friction anti sway in your case is that the manufacturers of these things recommend you loosen them up in slick weather, rain sleet, ice and snow, that would put you in a real pickle if your already having problems. Good Luck and pull safe
Old 01-28-2010, 08:50 PM   #21

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs down

There are two separate situations being addressed in this one topic. I am pretty sure that [b]Victor is well aware of his need to increase his Fiber Stream's tongue weight. The manufacturer of Fiber Stream tried to pull every trick in the book in order to build a 16' trailer that towed like a 13' trailer. The stock that the Fiber Stream's frame is made out of is half the size (and therefor half the weight) of the stock of a Casita's frame. This flimsy frame was compensated for by going from a single axle to a double axle. Most factory original Fiber Streams have only a 7% tongue weight, due to the placement of the axles in relation to the distance from the hitch ball. This was done to get the tongue weight low enough for the small cars of the 1970's (Audi, Toyota, Datsun, Volvo, or VW Rabbit according to the original sales brochure that I have.). [b]I think we all know better today. I haul a LOT of camping gear around, loaded toward the front of my Fiber Stream because I would rather weigh my tongue down with usable stuff than dead-weight steel.
Quote:
I plan to tow a [b]17' Casita Liberty Deluxe with my 2000 Honda Odyssey. Rather than a WDH, I plan to install air bags in the rear coil springs for the necessary lift-and-leveling.

[b]Henry OTOH, revived the discussion but his situation is quite the opposite of Victor's. My experience weighing trailers at FGRV rallies show me that 17' Casitas tend to be tongue heavy. 400+ Pounds is a quite common tongue weight on the average 17' Casita. Victor was towing with a rear-wheel-drive Toyota 4-Runner. Henry is towing with a front-wheel-drive Odyssey. Instead of redistributing the whole rig's weight balance (with WDH), he just wants to lift the back of the tow vehicle (with air bags). Apples and Oranges in my book.

To add a sway bar, or not to add a sway bar, that is Henry's question.

I say Henry doesn't need a sway bar, due to his much heavier tongue. But he DOES need a WDH.