Sway Bars and Electric brakes - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2018, 07:32 AM   #61

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Every stop I touch the tires for temp and the hubs as well for the same reason.
Cool hubs are a good thing!
I have trailer brakes and a WDH with built in sway control (Reese Mini 350) and I think it is not overkill, but merely being cautions and sensible.
As to extra cooling it is a good idea to have the recommended system for the vehicle.
In the case of my Chrysler Town and Country the factory provides a towing package which includes extra cooling for the engine, transmission and oil and self leveling rear shocks.
We are just back from towing 9000 miles through the country in the mountains and plains and I checked the temps fairly often, especially in the mountains.
I found the highest water temp was towing up to Mt Rushmore in creeping traffic up hill where there was little air flow from movement.
Even then the water did not get hot enough to start the radiator fan in high.
I was mostly bugged when the transmission would shift into a lower gear to make up a little speed where I really did not care if I were a little slow!
Personally think that the Chrysler engineers have a pretty good idea about towing and the T&C seems to do a pretty good job of it.
Tires at sidewall pressure
WHD
Sway control
Towing package with self leveling shocks and OEM hitch.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #62

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by daver View Post
ALL states have trailer towing laws which vary widely. Follow the laws in the states you intend to visit. Check here for updated trailer towing laws by state:

https://trailers.com/state-laws/

California has some of the most restrictive laws (surprise) so if you follow theirs you will be covered for most states. In California all trailers of any size or weight made after 1982 require brakes on at least two wheels.
Reading the California laws it says:

Quote:
California Trailer Lighting Laws
A motor vehicle towing a vehicle or trailer must be equipped with mirrors on both the left and right side which provide a view of at least 200 feet of the highway.

California Trailer Mirror Laws
Maximum speed for any vehicle towing another vehicle is 55 mph.

California Trailer Speed Limit Laws
Maximum speed for any vehicle towing another vehicle is 55 mph.
I was under the impression that you were limited to 55 mph when pulling a trailer. However, reading this, if you are pulling another "vehicle" (not a trailer?) you are limited to 55 mph. It does not say ""trailer" as it does in the quoted section "California Trailer Lighting Laws." I find this wording confusing.

In California can I pull my trailer (camper or 5th wheel) at 65 mph?

Thanks,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:23 AM   #63

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I was under the impression that you were limited to 55 mph when pulling a trailer. However, reading this, if you are pulling another "vehicle" (not a trailer?) you are limited to 55 mph. It does not say ""trailer" as it does in the quoted section "California Trailer Lighting Laws." I find this wording confusing.

In California can I pull my trailer (camper or 5th wheel) at 65 mph?

Thanks,

Perry

I believe that a trailer is still considered a "vehicle".
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:02 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I believe that a trailer is still considered a "vehicle".
Someone from California will answer this question. I have a feeling there might be a few FG owners from California here.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Old 08-23-2018, 11:37 AM   #65

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Trailer towing laws change from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

The laws of physics do not.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:54 AM   #66

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
On the other hand, few of us are qualified to discuss the laws of physics.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 12:41 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
On the other hand, few of us are qualified to discuss the laws of physics.

And virtually none of the law makers who make these laws are qualified to discuss the laws of physics.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #68

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Agreed! A smart lawmaker should be willing to listen to those who know. Sadly, not always the case.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:13 PM   #69

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If you decide to set up your towing with the right equipment you can save some money by going to a Harbor Freight Store and purchasing a combination swaycontrol and weight distribution hitch package. That and a brake controller and you will be riding safely and in total control.
The Highlander will serve you well on all your camping adventures.

Happy Safe Camping !
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:31 PM   #70

The speed limit in California for any vehicle towing a trailer, no matter the configuration, is 55mph. The speed limit on the same highway for single vehicles, motorcycle to 10 ton truck, can be as high as 70mph.

Conflicting vehicle speeds do increase the number of accidents but that is a topic for another day.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:36 PM   #71

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Someone from California will answer this question. I have a feeling there might be a few FG owners from California here.

Enjoy,

Perry
"Autos with trailers, trucks, 55 MPH" in CA. "Trucks" means three or more axles.

I assume the laws of physics are the same in Nevada as in CA, but in NV there is no separate speed limit for trucks or other vehicles while towing.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:47 PM   #72

Florida
One should be careful o not install a Weight Distributing Hitch that is heavier than is necessary or you could get into the area where Toyota warns that damage might occur.
I had a little problem finding a light duty WDH for my Town and Country,
Since the weight limit is 3500 lbs the Harbor Freight WDH is rated 10000 lbs the rate of the bars is most likely too high for most of our trailers or at least for any that can be towed safely by a Town and Country.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM   #73

Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
for my Casita, with my Tacoma, I used a Eaz-Lift that was rated for max 600 lbs tongue weight, as that was about the lightest WDH I could find... It setup for that tow+tug rig quite nicely

the complication with the eaz-lift + Casita was the 'saddles' needed to go right where the propane tank support was welded, and they simply didn't feel secure clamped to the casitas small A frame, so we opted to MIG weld them on.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 02:58 PM   #74

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
One should be careful o not install a Weight Distributing Hitch that is heavier than is necessary or you could get into the area where Toyota warns that damage might occur.

I don't disagree with using a correctly sized WDH, but I'd like to see this warning that you claim Toyota claims damage might occur. Can you provide the source and a direct quote please? Would also be helpful to note the exact vehicles, model and year, to which the warning applies.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:00 PM   #75

Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion View Post
What I have stated are the rules I tow by. No BS. Do as you wish but you will have to accept the consequences.

Ion
State or Federal "rules", or personal "rules"? BS is always open to interpretation by the reader. Declaring someone will have to "accept the consequences" if they don't follow someones else's rules, is a good "conversation" starter by someone who's BS meter may be out of calibration.

"Sway is caused by speed" and I can prove it. I parked my trailer in the garage all winter and never once had a sway problem while it was sitting there. Proof. Then, I tested out my other anti-sway system: my headlights. I turned on my headlights on every trip and never had a sway problem. Proof again. Turns out, my headlights are the best, and cheapest, anti-sway system I've ever seen. Well, that is, next to leaving the trailer parked in the garage. And that's no BS. You will have to accept the consequences of turning off your lights.
Old 08-23-2018, 03:08 PM   #76

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Someone from California will answer this question. I have a feeling there might be a few FG owners from California here. Perry

If you're towing "anything" it's 55MPH, no matter what it's called or how it's connected, from 5th wheels to a cement mixer. OK Perry, that's from a Californian .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
If you're towing "anything" it's 55MPH, no matter what it's called or how it's connected, from 5th wheels to a cement mixer. OK Perry, that's from a Californian .
Finally an answer from someone who actually lives there! However, my mama told me to never trust someone from California.

Enjoy,

Perry

Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 PM   #78

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Finally an answer from someone who actually lives there! However, my mama told me to never trust someone from California. Perry
No problem Perry, the friendly CHP that pulls you over can explain it in more detail .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:40 PM   #79

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't disagree with using a correctly sized WDH, but I'd like to see this warning that you claim Toyota claims damage might occur. Can you provide the source and a direct quote please? Would also be helpful to note the exact vehicles, model and year, to which the warning applies.
Well it is not my original quote, but from others on this thread, but it has been mentions several times.
Basically I don't necessarily agree or disagree but I still think that too heavy is not good
Old 08-23-2018, 08:31 PM   #80

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Well it is not my original quote, but from others on this thread, but it has been mentions several times.
Basically I don't necessarily agree or disagree but I still think that too heavy is not good

And, that's the problem with the interweb. <_<

Tags
brakes