Sway control - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-21-2017, 04:13 PM   #29

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perry View Post

A properly designed and loaded, mechanically sound trailer with properly inflated, sound tires does not need a sway bar.

I'm done!
John
There's the variable; "properly designed and loaded". It's easy to say something will always be fine or work correctly if it's "properly designed and loaded", of course it will, but it's difficult to expect everyone to always properly load their rig, or never have a leaking tire, or some other variable. Nobody knows how close or far they are from an unstable situation. I've seen so many trailers with generators or other equipment hanging off the rear bumper, cargo tied on top, poor or under inflated tires, brakes that don't work or tow vehicles that were way undersized. All variables that are not "proper" and drivers that didn't realize the possible stability problems they had.

Maybe it's better to have an additional safety feature that can compensate for a mistake, or new situation, or a lack of understanding, than it is to assume every rig will always be set up right and therefore not need it.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #30

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Perry View Post
How close to level is your trailer when it's being towed?

John
The trailer rides very slightly nose down.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #31
CPW

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Registry
Girl I knew bought a "knock-off" Aliner type trailer which had a bathroom and front storage compartment into which she only put four folding Camp chairs and a propane fire pit. No sway problem, but when hitched, the tongue weight was well in excess of 400 lbs, and exceeded the tongue weight allowed for her Honda Pilot. She had to fill the fresh water tank which was behind the trailers axle in order to drop the tongue weight. That, to me, indicates somewhat of a design flaw. I'm not sure I would consider having to fill the fresh water tank is an exercise in proper loading. Just saying that with some trailers, the weight distribution wouldn't seem to be proper to begin with.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:14 PM   #32

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Elite 2
Northern Nevada
CPW,

I agree.

I had a 20' toy hauler with a 100 gallon water tank right in the front. That thing could vary it's tongue weight by almost 800 lbs by just filling or draining the water tank. Ridiculous and definitely not proper in my book. Of course, it also had the batteries and propane tanks on the tongue too! Sheesh. I needed a load leveling hitch even on my 1 ton Ram.

Bottom line: Not everything is set up right even at the factory. It didn't sway, but it was terrible to tow and put a lot of stress on the hitch.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #33

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
CPW,

I agree.

I had a 20' toy hauler with a 100 gallon water tank right in the front. That thing could vary it's tongue weight by almost 800 lbs by just filling or draining the water tank. Ridiculous and definitely not proper in my book. Of course, it also had the batteries and propane tanks on the tongue too! Sheesh. I needed a load leveling hitch even on my 1 ton Ram.

Bottom line: Not everything is set up right even at the factory. It didn't sway, but it was terrible to tow and put a lot of stress on the hitch.
A toy hauler is really just a utility/Cargo trailer with a place to sleep, proper factory set-up means something a lot different from an RV trailer.

An RV trailer on the other hand is pretty consistent and much easier to balance, especially something like the Scamp13 which is the best inherently balanced trailer I have ever towed.Of course anything which includes improved handling and stability can be argued to be a "safety device".
I didn't buy my friction sway device primarily for safety though, but as a device to improve comfort, handling, and security.
Like the Nittos on my Mustang, the friction sway on on my trailer was added to improve my driving experience, the added safety is merely a bonus.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:13 PM   #34

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita FD17
Texas
Double axle trailer sway

We currently have a Casita FD17 and we are buying an Escape 21 (double axle). I currently use a mechanical anti-sway bar. I've been told that double axle trailers have less need for anti-sway bars. What do others think?
Old 03-23-2017, 06:17 PM   #35

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We currently have a Casita FD17 and we are buying an Escape 21 (double axle). I currently use a mechanical anti-sway bar. I've been told that double axle trailers have less need for anti-sway bars. What do others think?
What will you tow it with? Will you be using weight distribution hitch?
Old 03-24-2017, 05:57 AM   #36

Name: Richard
Trailer: Casita FD17
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What will you tow it with? Will you be using weight distribution hitch?
Probably a Tundra. No WDH.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #37

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
You will likely find somebody towing with that exact combo if you post your question on the Escape Forum.
Escape Trailer Owners Community
Old 03-25-2017, 11:36 PM   #38

Name: Charlie & Renée
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Charlie & Renée,

There are a couple of good videos posted on this site that dramatically illustrate the effect of weight distribution on model tow and trailer combos. There is one on this thread:

Trailer sway

One very knowledgeable and experienced member had difficulties with a small (Compact) trailer after he added better stabilizer jacks on the rear, perhaps adding some 25 lbs additional.

Bikes can sway or bounce on the rack, and the connection between the rack and the trailer may have some additional play. This can amplify the impact that the bikes moving will have on the trailer.

I suggest reviewing some of the posts here and elsewhere online regarding this subject, checking if the bikes can bounce, and weighing the tongue. From there, you will have to make some decisions and try some changes.

I suggest initially focusing on the loading as you may be able to get everything under control just by doing that.

And, final counsel, don't ever decelerate! (OK, just kidding!)

Thank you for taking time to respond! This site is so very excellent! I'll weigh the trailer once loaded and report back to this thread in May or June.
Old 03-26-2017, 11:34 AM   #39

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1999 Casita 17' SD
Ohio
Thirty five posts and no one has mentioned what proper tongue weight is that I could see

without knowing the trailer's weight a random number is worthless

Tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of the trailer's weight

My 17' Casita SD weights a tad under 3000#'s loaded and I have 400# tongue weight or 13.3% and never had the slightest hint of sway but I do have an anti sway bar and WDH.

Joe