sway with a 16" scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Dawn
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
sway with a 16" scamp

We have just got a "new" to us 16 foot scamp with side dinette (weigh in at 2340 loaded for light camping, including the hitch weight (195lb))
Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester (rated at 2400lb and 200lb hitch weight), so we are only just inside our specs
We have a class II hitch and a sway controller bar
between 55 and 60 we get a sway, any suggestions?
we love the 16 foot and the Subaru but thinking we may have to go with a 13 foot or a new tow vehicle.
Dawn HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Do you have a sway bar and / or weight dist hitch.... Also have you checked tire pressure and is trailer loaded properly
Alot of things can cause this

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Ops did not read very carefully i now see you did mention a sway bar

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:11 PM   #4

Name: Frederick / Janis
Trailer: Previously Scamp 13 2002,2016. Scamp 16 on order
Michigan
Side dinette is always a bit harder to make balance, side to side. Might check your loading and arrange to weigh each wheel to see how close you are.

Also, be sure you have proper "slope" down to the hitch, just slightly tilted toward the tow vehicle, not tilted downward toward the rear bumper.

Longer tow vehicles, like longer pickup trucks seem to be better at towing than short TV's like a Forester, although I don't think I could give a good explanation of the physics.

And, yes. You're much too close to max on everything, imho. Way too close.
bpfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 03:12 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Sounds like you need a new, capable tow vehicle.
Can't add tongue weight, which would probably solve your problem.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #6

Alabama
how do I weigh the loading of each wheel? we went to a CAT scale yesterday to check we were with in the specs for the forester. and have been using bathroom scales to get the hitch weight
one of the tires as a little low (4psi) will air it up and check again
Old 02-15-2016, 03:28 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Ideally, you would want 12 to 15 per cent of the trailer weight on the tongue.
12 per cent of 2340 is 280 lbs, well over your tongue limit.

Have a read of this useful guide: http://www.sherline.com/lmbook.htm
Old 02-15-2016, 03:34 PM   #8

Alabama
the Subaru manual states 8 to 11%
but in saying that we are not happy with the stability we have, just disappointed that we are with in the specs (just) and can seem to get it to work.
will try and check the weight on each wheel and then park it up till we find a solution
any one with a 13 foot interested in an exchange?
Old 02-15-2016, 04:00 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn HSV View Post
the Subaru manual states 8 to 11%
but in saying that we are not happy with the stability we have, just disappointed that we are with in the specs (just) and can seem to get it to work.
will try and check the weight on each wheel and then park it up till we find a solution
any one with a 13 foot interested in an exchange?

You'll have to decide which way to go. Either sell the 16, (an easy move), and buy a 13, hard to come by, and you'd be set with the Forester.

Or, keep the 16 and upgrade the tug.

Heartily agree that you need 250 lbs on the tongue to remove the wig wag.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:38 PM   #10

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
new tire ?
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
I'm sure you calculated the tongue weight percentage, but you are just inside the Subaru specified minimum 8% tongue weight.

I agree with the suggestion to either downsize the trailer or get a bigger tug. Tow limits are just that, limits. Right now you are pushing the limit both in trailer weight and in minimum tongue weight. If you look at the rig crooked, you'll likely throw something out of wack.

By the way, you will notice that I am towing a Little Joe with a 2014 Outback. Tow rating with trailer brakes is 2700 lb with a 200 lb tongue limit. Loaded, ready to go the Joe is 1760 lb with a 180 tongue weight. I believe that if I am going to take the rig on the highway, I owe it to others out there to have a bit of a safety margin, say 20%.

Good luck with your search, whatever your decision.
Old 02-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
sway with a 16' scamp

Some categories of trailers, such as boat trailers, are inherently more stable with a lower tongue weight percentage. Conventional wisdom is 8-10% TW for a boat, 10-15% TW for a camping trailer. Unfortunately your Scamp is not a boat.

A sway bar is not meant to tame an unstable set-up, but to add an extra margin of safety in an emergency.

I don't see an easy solution here. Good news is that both the Subaru and the Scamp are popular choices, so swapping out one or the other should be less painful.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:27 PM   #13

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn HSV View Post
We have just got a "new" to us 16 foot scamp with side dinette (weigh in at 2340 loaded for light camping, including the hitch weight (195lb))

Our tow vehicle is a Subaru Forester (rated at 2400lb and 200lb hitch weight), so we are only just inside our specs

We have a class II hitch and a sway controller bar

between 55 and 60 we get a sway, any suggestions?

we love the 16 foot and the Subaru but thinking we may have to go with a 13 foot or a new tow vehicle.

If you love the 16, you should probably get a new tow vehicle. Actually, you are "pushing" things. Many vehicle manufacturers will tell you for longevity, you should not exceed 80% of the vehicles rated towing capacity. At 2340 lbs, you are making the Subaru work to its capacity all the time you are towing.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:42 PM   #14

Alabama
We have only had the 16 ft a week, but do like the space (camped in the backyard a couple of nights, got it here with my father-in-laws truck). We have been tent campers and as lives got busy we weren't going out as much, figured with a Scamp we could have it set up ready to go for the weekends and in Alabama we have pretty much year round camping possibilities. So I guess it is backyard camping till we replace the Subaru.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:06 PM   #15

Michigan
Agree that BOTH the Scamp and/or the Subaru are top sellers. While a bit of fussing around making the change, the good news is the high resale value of either. It'll be a move you'll enjoy for a long, long time.

As things stand? You dislike it now and that concern will not go away by itself. There's no "fun" in the status quo.

Agree with Jon that a friction type sway bar is NOT intended to "fix" a normal setup but merely to provide a slight measure of extra security. Well said. These sway bars use with Scamps is widely misunderstood on Scamp oriented internet chat/FB, etc.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:54 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
My question is how did you get the tongue weight on a S-16 SD to under 200 lbs. I tried to lighten up the tongue weight on a S-16 SD. After removing one LP and going with a single tank the best I could do was 230 lbs. Is your water tank full of water? If so dump the water see how it tows. Storage box or bike rack on the rear? Others I have spoken with say about 230lbs. is as light as they could get their S-16 SD tongue weight.
FWIW: I have always suggested an S-13 for an Outback the S-16 is bit much.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #17

Alabama
We had a hitch box on the back, with just few light things in it. We took the gas tanks (not a long term practical solution) and the hitch box off, to get the weight more centered, and we still get sway.
Old 02-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
No LP tank is more than likely the issue. I know a lot of people that run with a Single tank on a S-16 SD and have no sway issues, but most pull them with light trucks. With the tank then that overloads the car specs. I own a Outback and I would not want to have a swaying trailer behind it.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:27 PM   #19

Alabama
Eddie - Do you pull your Scamp with the Outback?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:37 PM   #20

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Since you have been tent camping all this time I have to ask, how many are camping. If it's just the two of you a 16 is a big step up from a tent.

Tags
scamp