Swaying Scamp 16' - HELP - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #15

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
I have the same problem. Our 16 is the same model. Ours starts to sway around corners when there is a dip in the road. Hitch is correct and weights are right. I ordered a Andersen wd sway control even though I do not need the wd it will help with sway and bounce
Ken

Old 08-11-2013, 04:17 PM   #16

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
I have the same problem. Our 16 is the same model. Ours starts to sway around corners when there is a dip in the road. Hitch is correct and weights are right. I ordered a Andersen wd sway control even though I do not need the wd it will help with sway and bounce
Ken
You would be better off with just a sway control like this:

Curt Friction Style Sway Control System Curt Weight Distribution 17200

Old 08-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Ours starts to sway around corners when there is a dip in the road.
I don't see any reason for a properly loaded Scamp 176' to sway under these conditions. Our 17' Boler doesn't... without any sway control device.

Quote:
Hitch is correct and weights are right.
Even if the fraction of weight carried by the hitch is suitable, weight distribution can still be bad for stability if the mass is out at the ends of the trailer - a bunch of stuff on the rear bumper or under the back of the dinette playing teeter-totter with a bunch of stuff stacked on the tongue is balanced, but not well distributed. I'm not saying this is your rig, Ken, just that what many people think is properly loaded is not.

Another factor, of course, is the tug. If the tug allows the ball to move side-to-side to easily, the trailer could sway in conditions which a more stable tug would not have a problem with. The FJ Cruiser is strong, more than heavy enough (2 tons) to handle this size of trailer, and has a good chassis; however, it's not very long in wheelbase, and typically has tall mushy tires.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:55 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Wow, I don't recall hearing a peep about any sway issues with Scamps until this month. But someone from MN posted a thread on rv.net about their brand new Scamp 16 swaying. Now this thread comes up, and several people with 16s are talking about experiencing sway. This is weird!!!
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #19

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Wow, I don't recall hearing a peep about any sway issues with Scamps until this month. But someone from MN posted a thread on rv.net about their brand new Scamp 16 swaying. Now this thread comes up, and several people with 16s are talking about experiencing sway. This is weird!!!
It is like UFO sightings. They come in waves.
Old 08-11-2013, 06:12 PM   #20

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
We have tried packing differently some ways worst than others. We can not carry any water at all. The bed is made up all the time with bins under but all light stuff. The FJ squats about an inch when the trailer is hooked up and handles and ride like no trailer on the back. The trailer rocks and sways mostly on turns and uneven roads. All air psi are correct. I had a 1976 Scotty 15 ft with original suspension that just floated like a dream. I miss that. I will get this worked out. We only picked the Scamp up in Backus 7/5/13 but already put a lot of miles on her.
Ken
Old 08-11-2013, 06:20 PM   #21

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
If most of the swaying 16s are relatively new builds, is it possible that a design change has been made by Scamp that is causing this? Ken's is a 2013, the OP's is a new 2013, and the one on rv.net was a 2013 just picked up from Backus. I wonder.

A sway control unit will cover up the symptoms (and you may have to get one), but it sounds like there is a problem that should be isolated and fixed. A 2200-2500 lb trailer with a positive tongue weight of 200 lbs or more really should NOT sway. If your tongue weight is 200+, IMO Scamp should be notified.
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #22

Alberta
I think Tom is on the right track - when someone mentions a problem, people who had been keeping silent speak up with their similar problems... or start looking for the same problem and find it.

Quote:
If most of the swaying 16s are relatively new builds, is it possible that a design change has been made by Scamp that is causing this?
It's pretty rare for Scamp to change even trivial details - a change which would affect sway seems pretty surprising. Did they get jacked up in suspension height?
Old 08-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #23

Alberta
Quote:
The trailer rocks and sways mostly on turns and uneven roads.
Rocks? Is it rolling from side to side, like it is leaning through a rapid series of alternate direction turns? That can indicate uneven loading side-to-side, and the reaction of the trailer and tug to this rolling can cause sway.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ken and David, Like other Scamp owners I know, we've never experienced sway with ours or with the Casita 16 we towed for a year.

One thing you could do is to cut down the number of potential variables. It might be interesting if you towed a friend's Scamp to eliminate you're tow vehicle's setup as the source of the problem cutting the problem in half.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #25

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Every instance of sway with our 16' Scamp has been corrected in a few minutes of weight shifting. It has always responded favorably to forward weight shifting. One instance that seems to amplify sway is when we carry a half full fresh water tank which is in the far aft location. There are times when you just need to import water to your dry campsite and carrying water is unavoidable. The half full tank sloshes amplifying the sway. I also have a rear rack that carries a small fire pit and plastic tub filled with hoses and sewer fittings. That weight located so far back is also a recipe for sway, and has to be counter-balanced by adding weight up front. If you can't get the trailer to stop swaying by weight shifting you next need to verify tire pressure on trailer and tug. Don't be afraid to air up the tug tires a little higher than the door jamb sticker calls for, as you are carrying more weight. Just don't exceed maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall. Also, make sure you are not overloading the trailer. 7 people with luggage in a highlander is using up a lot of the GVW capacity. A trip to the scales is a good idea to give you an idea of the correct limit. Keep us posted on how you make out.
This problem is not a Scamp specific issue, as all these trailers have similar torsion sprung axles solidly mounted to the chassis. Any trailer that is improperly loaded will sway.
Russ
Old 08-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #26

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Russ
We always carry a half tank of water and a rear bumper box.

We do substantially increase tire pressure. Tow vehicles rears at 39 compared to Honda's suggested 26, fronts at 36 lbs. Trailer tires at 49-50.

Tongue 190-200 lbs.

Most of the trailers heavy weight except water is near the axle. No roof air or awning.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #27

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
The former owner of my ParkLiner used an anti sway bar and I did as well as a weight distribution hitch because of my Rav4's soft rear end.

Im sure the 60-70lbs on the rack on my backside doesnt help stop the sway but I do have a 90 some pound generator inside the doorway, and 7 gallons of water in the front bathroom and moving my 18lb rocket stove to the forward closet has to be adding some weight back onto the tongue to counter the rear rack. I also travel with full water tank because I boondock and not always is water availible so I take my parents good tasteing well water with me...about 28 gallons(15 tank, 6 gallons water heater, 7 gallon portable tank)

Since adding the anti sway bar and weight distribution hitch only once have I felt the trailer swinging behind me and that was while driving over 72mph passing someone while a bit windy out. I felt it pushing me to the left almost off the shoulder but takeing my foot off the gas, whit kuckling it I was just reaching for the break controller when my speed decreased enough and she slid back behind me nicely and just kept my speed around 60 was fine the rest of the ride... funny when it happened, I was coming home with a mostly empty water tank and totally empty grey tank so not much weight behind the axle... probably was the speed. Ive learned a lesson and will keep the speed down as much as i can.

I have thought of adding a small water tank on either side of the water heater to help balance the load a bit (left to right)and to increase my water capacity since I dont use paper plates for environmental reasons so I am washing some dishes and do drink at least a gallon of water or more a day from the water tank. I do daily short military ish showers to conserve, but adding an extra 10-14 gallons would make me happy for longer excursions....especially when friends ask me to do their dishes too, or to take a shower lol.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:04 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:

I think it's because new to towing and increased towing speed. All trailers will go into sway at a high enough speed.