Tacoma-Scamp 19 question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: Northstar
Iowa
Tacoma-Scamp 19 question

Is there any problem mounting Scamp 5th wheel hitch to a late model Tacoma bed which are now composite (plastic) and not metal? Outer skin is metal but bed floor is composite.
msethsmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Original hitch was bolted to the wheel wells on sheet metal boxes.
You might consider making brackets which mount to the frame using the existing box mounting bolts. Or you could simply drill through your box floor and mount the hitch to the frame using a plate and u-bolts or simply attach directly to the frame.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Could be wrong, but I think the hitch Scamp uses now attaches to rails on the bed floor, more like a regular fifth wheel.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:24 PM   #4

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
I have done it on my 2013 4-door short bed Tacoma and posted it in excruciating detail. Trying to find it - here it is:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post436102
I wanted to avoid any drilling or welding on the frame, I consider that a no-no.

Somebody else had done it by bolting two rectangular steel plates inside the bed, using the bed mounting bolts (three on each side) and bolting the rails to those. A picture of that is also somewhere on the forum. That way it is also connected to the frame. Mine worked out so that the front rail is directly bolted to the frame.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 09:19 AM   #5

Iowa
Paul O.--
Saw thread. I envisioned the old(?) method of two angle iron attached at wheel wells. New method is a Reese and better. Old way looks sketchy on composite bed.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:02 PM   #6

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
Paul O.--
Saw thread. I envisioned the old(?) method of two angle iron attached at wheel wells. New method is a Reese and better. Old way looks sketchy on composite bed.
That's correct. The old Scamp hitch was also harder to remove, the Reese one just lifts out and the bed is clear (pretty much). I still have to use a wrench, because I replaced the simple pins with 1/2 inch bolts and large washers that I bent in order to eliminate play and resulting rattle when drving around with the hitch without 600 pounds weight on it. I could take pictures and post them, if you are interested.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:32 PM   #7

Iowa
No thanks--had a Reese before. Just use pins.

Tags
scamp