Tandem or Single Axle? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 PM   #15

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I recall when looking for a trailer, one seller with a tandem bigfoot said it was easier to back up since it was not as sensitive to turns by the TV as a single axle trailer is. Any truth to that statement?

Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Deb & Chuck
Trailer: Bigfoot, Boler, Trillium, ECO, U-Haul, Burro, Escape, Trailswest, Compact Jr., Casita, Scamp
Washington
Quote:
Interesting topic.

We are in the process of trying to find a Bigfoot 5th wheel, we would prefer the dual axle but there seem to be fewer of them. Our preference for the dual axle is as Frederick says, we have never had sway with a dual axle trailer (Though I know it can happen I've seen it). Plus the idea of spreading the load over four high rates tires seems safer to us. I tend to pack "the kitchen sink" too it seems as our 13 ft Boler is one of the heaviest Fred has weighed.

We have never found there to be enough scuffing while turning to be a bother. Our tires age out before wearing out.

I'm interested to see what others have to say about this.
Lizbeth,
We bought a 1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel trailer dual axle in Edmintion, Alberta Canada last summer. You may find more in Canada than the US. I pull it with a 2005 Toyota Tundra pickup. We really like the room and sleeping areas. I just replaced the tires with 195R14 load range D tires.
Chuck

Old 03-27-2009, 06:43 AM   #17

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
I recall when looking for a trailer, one seller with a tandem bigfoot said it was easier to back up since it was not as sensitive to turns by the TV as a single axle trailer is. Any truth to that statement?
Well, yes and no... typically trailers with tandem axles are longer trailers. The longer the distance between the ball and axles, the less 'turn' you experience for unit of steering input (if that makes sense). Longer trailers turn more slowly, and are therefore more difficult to jackknife than a shorter single-axle trailer. That said, I doubt there's much difference in backing between a 25' single axle trailer and a 25' tandem axle trailer. Probably easiest of all to back was my 34' Airstream tri-axle. Nothing happened 'fast' while backing with it. As a matter of fact, I usually attracted a crowd when backing it into a tight space as folks wouldn't believe I could do it... and it was actually quite easy.

Roger
Old 03-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #18

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
I agree with what Roger said. I can see no reason that tandems would be any less sensitive backing up, and I have reversed with many a different configuration of trailer. The longer the easier if you have the room, and even easier if they are a 5th wheel.

The Escape 19' I am getting is tandem. They could have gone with a single axle (dry weight 2,600 lb). Some of the negatives to tandems for me are increased weight, increased maintenance costs (though a set of tandem tires will usually last longer then those on a single axle), and potential 'scuffing' turning real sharp while reversing (though this can usually be avoided.) Positives include more stability on rough stuff and in wind, safety in the case of a blowout, potential carries more weight (though this really is not required for a lightweight trailer.) It is one of those things where there are good points either way, you just have to decide which you prefer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #19

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape 5.0TA
Southern Alberta
Don't foget tandens tend to ride a little smoother on rough roads.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:54 PM   #20

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Quote:
Lizbeth,
We bought a 1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel trailer dual axle in Edmintion, Alberta Canada last summer. You may find more in Canada than the US. I pull it with a 2005 Toyota Tundra pickup. We really like the room and sleeping areas. I just replaced the tires with 195R14 load range D tires.
Chuck
If only it was that easy! There are about 10 for sale up there now. I know you had problems bringing the trailer back. I've been researching what it takes and it seems to be not that simple. Ahhh, for the lack of a simple sticker!

Tags
axle