Tekonsha controllers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
I'm looking to replace my linear brake controller with a proportional one. The old style Prodigy can be had for $88 now! Wow - was $125 when I got the trailer about a year ago. However, the new style, P3 is widely available for around $135.

I'm not sure that I need whatever is extra/new on the P3 - but wondered if any of you have had a chance to touch both and would offer an opinion?

-Kyle
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
I don't think you need (or even want) the P3. It is for electro-activated hydraulic brake systems that are never used on small travel trailers.

I'd go with the Prodigy -- and thanks for the link. I may order one myself to replace a very ancient Tekonsha unit!
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Wow, that is cheap. I paid substantially more (CDN) for my prodigy this spring. I have no problem recommending it. I have not tried the P3 but I can't see how it could work much better than the prodigy.
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I bought a P3 from Mantelli on ebay.

Tekonsha says it's their best, even though I've only got e-brakes, for a few dollars extra to potentially tow something with multiple axles or electro-hydraulic in the future is was not outrageous. You never know what the future will hold.

The price was better than stated above and it included a 2nd vehicle kit plus free shipping to the lower 48. Mantelli was great to deal with, highly recommended. (A big thank you to Steve L for the assistance in installing it)

I've never used a brake controller before and was amazed at how well it adapted to different braking situations. Maybe it is over kill, but whats a few dollars when one considers the cost of a trailer and tow vehicle and their contents.

IMO adding brakes and a controller took a lot of concerns off towing with my 94 Ranger that has weak brakes to begin with. The RABS valve only seems to hold up to a single hard braking situation before failing and shutting down the ABS system. I've replaced that 3X [at] $175 plus labour before giving up.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:30 AM   #5

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
It is my understanding that the "controller" part of the P3 and the Prodigy are pretty much the same. The P3 offers a different display and more diagnostics than the Prodigy. If you already have a Prodigy (I have two) it's probably not worth moving to the P3. If you're buying new, and the price difference isn't much, get the P3. If there's a lot of difference in price, get a Prodigy. Both will do the job well... and for a very long time.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote