Tekonsha RF Brake Controller - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #15

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
I have InSIGHT controller in my TV. I even do not want think about a different controller design. Separate base, display and control units is the only right way to go.

Old 04-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
That Insight Flex Mount is at a nice price point. Comparable to other proportional controllers.

I would not be concerned about the RF unit failing. The inertia sensor is on the trailer so it seems like they are not counting on RF to do anything but store and send the settings when you start or do manual brake activation. I guess I figure anything can fail, would test the same way I would wired unit or lights. Does this work as I start out? Ok then off we go.

Now the $300+ price tag that is a non starter for me. Nearly twice the price that one can purchase a very good wired system. If my TV was critically tight on room or this lotto ticket thing I got going works out then maybe...

Old 05-10-2014, 10:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
Ontario
Registry
Well, we got the Tekonsha RF installed on the trailer and brought it back from Welland today. It was a bit of a PITA to get set up and paired with the controller, and it does have to be installed exactly as per the video, on the frame. But once we got the hand held talking to the unit, it was all good - got the settings right in a decommissioned Canadian Tire parking lot, and it was all smooth sailing back to the city. Mad props to Denis at Seaway RV! for getting us set up, and for caulking the belly band - for the first time, no must smell from small leaks over the winter.

We are very happy with the new car as a tug. The side views on the Santa Fe XL are big enough so that no tow mirror need be added. It's all good. See you at eggfest and bolerama!
Old 05-11-2014, 09:08 AM   #18

Name: Nate
Trailer: 1981 Casita 13. TV: 2011 Honda CR-V
Wisconsin
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Thomson View Post
Well, we got the Tekonsha RF installed on the trailer and brought it back from Welland today. It was a bit of a PITA to get set up and paired with the controller, and it does have to be installed exactly as per the video, on the frame. But once we got the hand held talking to the unit, it was all good - got the settings right in a decommissioned Canadian Tire parking lot, and it was all smooth sailing back to the city. Mad props to Denis at Seaway RV! for getting us set up, and for caulking the belly band - for the first time, no must smell from small leaks over the winter.

We are very happy with the new car as a tug. The side views on the Santa Fe XL are big enough so that no tow mirror need be added. It's all good. See you at eggfest and bolerama!
Thanks for the update, Pat! I'm considering using the same controller on our CR-V. It has no built in charging or brake wires, so I'm thinking if I use this controller (and power it from the trailer battery), I can avoid having to run/route wires. So good to hear the feedback!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:21 PM   #19

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate R View Post
Thanks for the update, Pat! I'm considering using the same controller on our CR-V. It has no built in charging or brake wires, so I'm thinking if I use this controller (and power it from the trailer battery), I can avoid having to run/route wires. So good to hear the feedback!
Hey Nate,
You could power it from the trailer, but I would consider going to the trouble of running a dedicated charge line from your CR-V. It is not that tough to do. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself you could sub out the work. A relay switched from your ignition run tap could be used to energize the charge line. Use wire that you think is too large and go up one size to get as many volts way back to your battery as you can. Use a fuse or breaker installed near the tug battery to protect the wire.
Russ