Thank God for safety chains! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2012, 01:22 PM   #21
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Jim, thank you. Good explanation on what to look for and what to do.

In this case this is a new scamp according to another thread here in the towing section. I would hope it left the factory fully adjusted??? Also I bet the brakes played a big factor in minimizing damage. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
Thanks to all for the input. And Carol, no apology please. Your experience and insights are always helpful. My apology if my post 'sounded' terse, it was not so intended. Rather, I hoped to create laser focus on the basic question I felt urgency to resolve. (I think I just said it was all about me ;-)

What I've learned is there are apparently no hard & fast numbers for adjusting or torquing the clamp. The link Dave provided, a call to Scamp, and other resources indicate it's a matter of what I'll call finessing the adjustment so that it's tight enough to prevent uncoupling, yet loose enough to allow the necessary swivel. The analogy that works best for me, though not exact, is a bicycle wheel quick release adjustment.

I intend to spend a bit of time with my ball mount/ball in hand (not attached to the tow vehicle) and adjusting the clamp by feel. I want the clamp as tight as possible without restricting the ball/socket action. Something I should have done before, but it simply was not on my radar screen.

Again, this incident was extreme. I'm confident the trailer was momentarily airborne. Imagine running over a half-round telephone pole at 60 mph and you'll have a good idea of the jolt. Chances are good it will never happen again ... then again it may happen tomorrow. If/when it does, I intend for the trailer to remain attached by more than tow chains!
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #23
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Having a trailer come is loose is not fun and it should be taken seriously.

Suggest the trailer be taken to a reputable trailer shop and have the tongue checked out by a professional. There may be broken, cracked, worn, or damaged parts. While it is there get them to make the adjustments if necessary.

For such a small investment you will know it is done right and you won't be going down the road continually wondering about it.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #24

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Would I be right to assume that using both safety chains and Equalizing Bars that my risk is not as high.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #25

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Mike, I would second W's idea of having it checked out. As it is a new trailer? & you feel sure it wasn't a false hook up situation its not outside the possibilities that something is not right with the coupling system. I know I would sure sleep a lot better having a qualified 2nd party take a look at it confirm its all good.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 PM   #26

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
Floyd said: "Prefire Scamp 13s had 1-7/8" hitches, post fire they have 2" hitches.
Do you have the right ball size?"

However, A friend just came home with a 2012 13' Scamp and he tells me he has a 1 7/8" hitch.

The Scamp manual currently available on the internet also says 13' have the 1 7/8" hitches. (16' have 2" hitch.)

Any other input??
RonMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #27

Registry
I can confirm that my 92 16' only has a 1 7/8" but the newer models (suspect pre fire) I have seen have a 2". Cant comment on the 13'.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #28

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMayo View Post
Floyd said: "Prefire Scamp 13s had 1-7/8" hitches, post fire they have 2" hitches.
Do you have the right ball size?"

However, A friend just came home with a 2012 13' Scamp and he tells me he has a 1 7/8" hitch.

The Scamp manual currently available on the internet also says 13' have the 1 7/8" hitches. (16' have 2" hitch.)

Any other input??
I suspect that the particular manual may not be updated, Your friend had better check his coupler ASAP!
Unless they have switched back for this year (doubtful) Scamp has been using 2" couplers on the 13s for several years now.
Especially if his trailer has a vertical tongue jack then it's likely a 2". As I said... better confirm the coupler size!
Does anyone here know if there is even a 1-7/8" coupler on the market designed to accept a vertical jack?
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:49 PM   #29

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arizona
New Scamp 13s have 2". And yes, the online manual for the Scamp site is outdated. I had to verify before I went to pick ours up in early July. Was also told manual and website for Scamp are currently being updated. Honestly, doing business with Scamp is a step back in time ... mostly refreshing, but sometimes a bit frustrating and quirky. Kind of like Hare's Country Store was in my old home town. No complaints about their product though; simple, functional, practical, time-tested.
morz4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #30

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Does anyone here know if there is even a 1-7/8" coupler on the market designed to accept a vertical jack?
Don't think so, Floyd.

But I have one as I had mine modified to accept a vertical jack.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #31

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
whew

I'm glad your chains held. I've seen chains on some trailers that are so thin they would have failed/broken under this kind of force/pressure. Slightly heavier chain then you think you need is good insurance.
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:16 AM   #32
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Would I be right to assume that using both safety chains and Equalizing Bars that my risk is not as high.
Yes, if you examine the WDH and observe how it applies weight/tensions you can see how it (as a result of design) tends to hold the tongue/ball together.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 10:18 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
Don't think so, Floyd.

But I have one as I had mine modified to accept a vertical jack.
Like this?...
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0095.JPG  
Old 08-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #34

Registry
I just talked with Scamp a few minutes ago.
I can confirm what I said earlier. Scamp 13's are built with 2" couplers.
Any Scamp 13 with a factory built vertical tongue jack is in fact a 2" coupler.
If you have any doubt, please check your ball and coupler before your next hook-up to see that they match.
If you look at mine you can see that the jack is behind the coupler and not through the flange of the coupler it'self. This is a modification which I did aftermarket. Mine is prefire and has a 1-7/8" coupler with a smaller flange.

Joy has a similar mod which, like mine, is not to be construed as implying a 2" coupler.

The brochure, website, and manuals are under review and new versions are expected to come with the new year.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Additional tips

Besides jacking the tongue up to test the coupler/ball locking, we also install a lock in the locking lever. This insures one of us has actually locked it down and that no one can fool with it when we're stopped.

Ginny and I each have responsibility for all parts of the tongue/coupler/lock/chains/break-away switch/anti-sway bar.

We used to grease the ball/coupler interface but now we give it a spray with silicon. It seems to work fine and keeps the grease off us and our clothes.

I also occasionally coat the contacts of the 7 pin plug with contact grease to insure continual good contact.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #36
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Correct ball size like Floyd mentioned is always a first check with a new trailer. I have seen a couple instances where the wrong size was used.

When hooking up you can have the ball slightly to one side, or slightly ahead of the hitch, and give the tongue a slight shove once you have weight on the ball to set it in place. You should never have the ball back at all from its final resting spot as you lower the tongue, or you risk it not connecting properly when you drop the weight on the closing mechanism in the coupler.

Adjusting is really easy the way I do it. Pull the hitch from the vehicle receiver and close the greased ball into the hitch, and feel for any play. It should move freely, but have no play at all. To adjust, leave the ball closed in the hitch and tighten the nut on the coupler just until the ball tightens up in the coupler, but it is still able to move freely in its full range. If it binds at all, just back off on the nut a bit. Open and close the hitch a few times to confirm adjustment. This is an easy 10 minute adjustment that should be done at a minimum of once a year, dependent upon towing mileage.

Keeping the ball lightly greased will limit the wear, and make the towing easier. I just keep the hitch locked in coupler when not towing.
Went and checked my coupler today. It is not adjustable. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
Went and checked my coupler today. It is not adjustable. Raz
Thanks interesting! Would it be possible to post a photo of your coupler?
Old 08-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
My coupler does not adjust either.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #39

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Thanks interesting! Would it be possible to post a photo of your coupler?
This is a typical kit which includes the internal parts of the coupler.
The nut on the bottom is the adjustment.
Look Here...

Compare Coupler Repair vs Coupler Latch Repair | etrailer.com
Old 08-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #40

British Columbia
Registry
Some are adjustable and some are not depends on what the manufacture used mine is an Atwood wrap around.