Thank God for safety chains! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 03:00 PM   #41

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
This is a typical kit which includes the internal parts of the coupler.
The nut on the bottom is the adjustment.
Look Here...

Compare Coupler Repair vs Coupler Latch Repair | etrailer.com
Yup Floyd thats the type I am use to but we have two people saying they cant adjust theirs...... how is that?
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #42
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H

Thanks interesting! Would it be possible to post a photo of your coupler?
Yup
Attached Thumbnails
image-3956672893.jpg   image-3509744693.jpg  

image-3704915457.jpg   image-2540448130.jpg  

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:26 PM   #43

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

We used to grease the ball/coupler interface but now we give it a spray with silicon. It seems to work fine and keeps the grease off us and our clothes.

I also occasionally coat the contacts of the 7 pin plug with contact grease to insure continual good contact.
Norm mentions spray silicone. I too keep a can of this handy dandy lube in the tool bag in the camper. My latest "find" of this handy multi-use spray lube is "Liquid Wrench" brand, and can be bought at Lowe's. Great stuff, and as Norm points out, it's a whole lot "cleaner" than other greases if (when, in my case ) you get it on your clothes. It's great stuff for general purpose use around the camper, like drawer slides/hinges, etc.

As for the hitch couplers themselves, my favorites are the bulldog brand couplers we have on a couple of the horse trailers. If I ever have occasion to replace the coupler on the camper, that is what I will use.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #44

Registry
Thanks Raz.

Is the type that Raz posted photos of a Bulldog? I am looking at the photos and trying to figure out how it locks on - obviously when the top latch section is dropped down over the front something happens underneath :-) . hummmm
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #45

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
George,

Silicoln also works well on the window sliders.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:02 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
That is an interesting looking coupler, I have not seen one like it. Having no adjustment does not seem like a great idea, but I guess if it is holding good with little or no play, there is no issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:17 PM   #47

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
I have the same type as Raz just a different manufacture they are called wrap around couplers.

They do lock in place the latch slides forward when on locking around the ball.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:19 PM   #48

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Think is is an Atwood 80071 video on etrailer as to how it works. if not the same mfg definitely similar. also similar to Bulldog which has more fans on other forums.
Michael J.
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:38 PM   #49

Missouri
Yep, Michael, you are correct about the Atwood. That is what is on my Funfinder, and I'm not real impressed with it. The Bulldog couplers are made from steel forgings, and the 'clamp' comes in from the side. They are very strong, and cost about double what the Atwood does.

And yes too to Norm on using the silicone spray on the windows ! My camper has the "bus style" slider windows, and that spray lube is nice and clean, and works well on the sliders and the locking latches too.
Old 08-31-2012, 02:45 AM   #50
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Yes, the coupler is an Atwood. When you lift the lever and push forward, the "hood" moves forward and drops down. It in turn pulls the clamping mechanism forward against the lower back of the ball. The tabs on the handle and the locking pin hold everything in place. When the trailer is pulled, the ball pushes on the locking mechanism which is held in place by the wrap around hood.

At one time I used Super Lube, a Teflon lubricant on the ball but it didn't last long enough. Now I use grease and cover the ball with a tennis ball. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 12:36 PM   #51

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We have a 1987 17' Bigfoot and the coupler on our trailer looks similar to the one in the pictures posted by P. Raz, although I don't think ours has any kind of hole to put a locking pin through. It might be more like the one pictured in this post by Rick N, titled "Updating a hitch": http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tch-54112.html. I can't go physically examine it because the trailer is at the shop at the moment getting a new water heater installed. All of this talk of the trailer coming unhitched while going down the road has me a little spooked. Maybe this would be a good time to update our coupler?

My husband had the same thought as Daniel A. about a weight distributing hitch adding to the security of the set-up. We have WDH but have never used it, but maybe it would be a good idea to start doing so? Would that be just as good an option as getting a new coupler? Any thoughts and suggestions on this would be much appreciated. Our trailer has towed with absolutely no difficulties on the trips we've taken it on so far, but we leave on a 4-6 week trip in about 10 days and I sure don't want anything happening on the road.

Mike, I'm really glad that no one was hurt in your unfortunate - and scary - incident.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #52

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
At one time I used Super Lube, a Teflon lubricant on the ball but it didn't last long enough. Now I use grease and cover the ball with a tennis ball. Raz
I too much prefer grease to a dry lube. I just leave the ball locked in the coupler when not towing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:34 AM   #53

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
The WDH will be more than enough Evergreengirl, it pulls the coupler and hitch ends level. I've never really been concerned with my coupler it is good to know that such things can happen for awareness sake though.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #54

Washington
Registry
I went to the shop and looked at our trailer and talked to the guy who does a lot of the hitch installation work there. He seemed very knowledgable. He looked at our coupler and judged it OK. He told me that to replace it they would have to cut off part of the tongue to weld on the new coupler. With shop time and the cost of the new coupler the job would add up to maybe $150 - $200. He thought that using the WDH which we already have would be a simpler way to insure peace of mind - and we'd not be out of pocket any money either.

I agree with you that a coupler coming off the ball is probably not an everyday occurrence, but I also agree that it pays to check everything out before you go rolling down the road. We will check our hook-ups more carefully from now on.

Oh, BTW, when I went to the shop the first guy I talked to showed me a coupler and how it would work and why it couldn't come off. The fit on the ball seemed really sloppy to me and I kept questioning him until he suggested we talk to the technician/installer. Turned out the first guy was showing me a coupler that was the wrong size! No wonder it was so sloppy. Sometimes the people working the "front office" just don't really know their stuff. I think this just goes to show that it pays to keep asking questions - and find the right person to answer them - until you're satisfied.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #55

Registry
I have no idea what the fine might be in various places for towing without a hitch pin where its law but it may be worth looking into just in case the fine is greater than the cost of a new coupler. Not to mention that having a hitch pin is not a bad thing to have for safety reasons.

I know it was suggested on another thread here that if the trailer coupler did not come with a way of installing a hitch pin that due to its age it didnt need to be upgraded the same as Collector cars dont need seat belts...... only problem with that is that in not all places are all Collector cars permitted to run without seat belts just because they didnt have them originally. In my province any car manufactured or assembled after December 1, 1963, must have seat belts installed even though they may not have come with seat belts originally.

Not a big thing but it might be worth looking into.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #56

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
I don't think ours has any kind of hole to put a locking pin through. .
Double check that and look closely. I can't remember ever seeing a hitch coupler that did not have a provision for putting a lock or hitch pin in, although I suppose some have been made that way ?
I have a little 3 rail motorcycle trailer that I bought in 1971, and even it has a hole to put a lock thru.

As far as making sure you don't have a "false hitch", it's mostly just a case of good visual inspection. Get it hitched to where you know it is correct, and get down there with a flashlight and look at it closely, and it will be obvious to you what it looks like when it's right. Make that step part of your pre-flight checklist, and you'll be good to go.

I use a written ( laminated ) checklist each and every time before rolling. Last thing on my checklist is "Schipperke in ?!" LOL....don't wanna leave the dog behind !!
Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 PM   #57

Registry
George I didnt think there was a hitch out there any more either that could not be locked ..... that was until I saw this recent thread here.
Old 09-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #58

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
George I didnt think there was a hitch out there any more either that could not be locked ..... that was until I saw this recent thread here.
Hmmm......yep sure enough. That coupler is the same basic design as what is on my trailer, except mine has a welded tab with a hole, and corresponding holes in the sleeve that a lock or pin passes thru. And yes, I'm with the rest of you on this deal..... I like having the hole for a pin just as one more safety check.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM   #59

Washington
Registry
Hmmm - I'll look at ours again, but I'm pretty certain there's no provision for a locking pin. I suppose one could be made.

I did some searching online and this site, Trailer Hitch/Signals | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws, from AAA/CAA has a comprehensive summary of towing laws in all the states and provinces. Looks like only Maryland has a law requiring "a suitable locking device". Virtually every other state or province just mentions having safety chains in addition to the hitch and coupler, except North Carolina which says that with a locking pin no chains are required.

Of course this is just AAA/CAA's summary of the laws, but I did search for the rules in WA and OR and as far as I can tell no locking pin is required in either of those states, the ones we travel the most in. I'm not saying it isn't a good idea mind you, just that as far as I can tell only one state actually requires it.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:06 PM   #60

Registry
Kathy I think you will find there are *a lot* more than just Maryland. Actually read the other day on boating list that officers where checking the trailers at a boat ramp (in either North or South Carolina) to make sure they had hitch pins. Virginia does have a law as well under SB 646 which reads in part: "be provided with a locking device that prevents accidental separation of the vehicles."

In BC its buried deep in the laws and its actually under #9 Misc - and funny enough its not on their nice little Towing Rules PDF or handout. LOL In BC it reads: "A tow bar shall not have a locking pin missing and shall not be cracked or broken."

The towing law websites are great for fast simple answers to the basics but many of the states/provinces if you search their full laws you will find lingo such as "device to secure the coupling" or a "secondary device" - some don't use the term locking pin. Maybe they just like confusing us!

Oregon may have something in their fine print someplace as well who knows! - but maybe not - Their little towing hand out found here - reads in part "The draw bar then slides into the hitch receiver on the tow vehicle and is secured with a locking pin. " They also show 2 photos both with couplings with holes for a pin.... go figure! LOL

Then again it may be that some states are assuming that everyone is using an approved classed coupling which are manufactured under SAE Standards that have been around for a large number of years and as such have provisions for hitch pins. They are used to dealing with mostly stick trailers so maybe they dont think anyone has a trailer older than the SAE standard

As mentioned either way it really is a safety feature that you will be thankful for spending the money on whether its the law where you tow or not. Just ask anyone who has ever had a coupling pop off a ball.