Thank God for safety chains! - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #61

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Thanks Carol. I was kind of thinking that more rules and regulations might lie buried in the various state's codes. Why do they make it so difficult for the average guy or gal? I'll give this some more thought.
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:53 PM   #62

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Kathy, if the rest of your coupler is still good and functional, it would be really quite simple to add something to make it to where you could put a lock pin or a padlock on it. I could take a photo of my coupler if a visual would make it easier to think of something to add.
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #63

Washington
Registry
George, that would be great! My husband is pretty handy and has already suggested a couple of fixes that either he or the shop could do. I think I'd rather go that route if we can than have to cut off part of the tongue to weld on a new coupler.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #64

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Here you go, this is what mine looks like in various open and closed positions, including a wasp that was curious what the heck was going on. He gave it his approval.

gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:41 PM   #65

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
[QUOTE=gmw photos;330923]Yep, Michael, you are correct about the Atwood. That is what is on my Funfinder, and I'm not real impressed with it. The Bulldog couplers are made from steel forgings, and the 'clamp' comes in from the side. They are very strong, and cost about double what the Atwood does.
QUOTE]

When I re-built my Scamp, I had a shop install a Bulldog hitch. The original one was rusted and would not stay on. I'm really impressed with the construction and concept of the bulldog. The way the mechanism fits and locks on, I don't think it's possible to have it not attached correctly when the collar is locked. I feel very secure that it's on correctly with this setup.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:42 PM   #66

Washington
Registry
Thanks George. Our coupler is more like the one shown in the thread "Updating a hitch" that Rick n started here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tch-54112.html

We don't have any hole to put a padlock through. We'd have to drill a hole and then fabricate something like your "ring" for it to go through. I do see how yours works though.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:08 AM   #67

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
The coupler on our 2003 16' Scamp seems to have a problem. I noticed that the fit was loose when latched. It has some considerable rattle. I tightened the adjuster bolt until it had just enough working clearance and no rattle. After unlatching the coupler it would not release from the 2" ball. To get it to release I had to back off the adjuster quite far. Perhaps my coupler is a 1 7/8" ? I'll inspect it when I get back home. This trailer is really low hours, so I doubt this condition was caused by wear. If the coupler turns out to be a 2" I will probably take a light cut with a grinder along the ball end of the holding pawl until I can get the ball on AND have the adjuster tightened sufficiently to eliminate play. Anyone else experience this?
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #68

Washington
Registry
Taking yet another look at our coupler with both my husband and the shop technician to see if we could modify it for some sort of locking pin we discovered that there was indeed a hole through which such a thing could be inserted. We think it was a modification made by a PO, however the couple we bought the trailer from never mentioned using it and it was totally obscured when the coupler latch was open because it slid back obscuring the hole. We'll put a carabiner, bolt or padlock through it and that should do the trick. The coupler will then not be able to either slide back nor come up. Here are some pictures so you can see what I mean. Thanks for everyone's input on this.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8532.jpg   IMG_8534.jpg  

Old 09-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #69

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I hit railroad tracks on the Southern Nevada Cali border with my Trillium and literally busted the pin that holds the bottom lever in place. After looking at it I realized that it was pretty beat up probably from some past abuse, and should have been inspected earlier. Be Careful and always use safety chains.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #70

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
Kathy,
I had the same coupler like yours on a tent trailer I built. It had the same hole location. I just hung a padlock there as I remember.
Russ
ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #71

Washington
Registry
Thanks Russ. So I guess it was there all along and we just never noticed it before.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:22 PM   #72

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Kathy get out there and have a good time with your WDH I see little chance of problems and you will build confidence in no time.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote