The pre trip - paid off this time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2011, 10:36 PM   #1

Name: Brett
Trailer: 05 Escape 17b
British Columbia
Registry
The pre trip - paid off this time

Hello all

Just a small success story for me. A couple of weeks age I put some new tires on our Escape trailer. When I picked them up from the dealer I asked that they were inflated to the correct pressure. Of course the guy at the counter said yes.

Jump ahead two weeks and this afternoon and I am preparing the truck and trailer for our trip tomorrow. Checked the tire pressure and it reads 32 lbs Drat I have a leaking new tire. It is 5pm on a Saturday what tire shop is still open? Better check the other tire as well, WTF 32 lbs as well, I have two leaking tires.

What are the odds of both tires deflating to the same amount.

Tire shop inflated them to vehicle pressure.

Pre trip paid off this time, with a trip coming tomorrow.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:34 AM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Yup. The shop tech's idea of correct pressure, the counter man's idea and your idea may all be different. And the latter two can only guess at what is in the shop tech's mind. I sure pays to check.

If I forget to tell the shop (at oil change time or whatever) to leave my Highlander's tire PSI at 38, they invariably let out air to the 30 PSI on the door sticker. Very irritating. I tow trailers every day with that thing and the tires are rated to 45 PSI; 30 is too low for conditions IMO. They all assume that 30 is plenty for anyone, and you know what they say about assumption.

Glad you caught it before the trip.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote