"they don't roll over too well"... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #21

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Robust, indeed! Impressive, although it would surprise me if the aluminum frame weren't tweaked enough to require replacement of portions <<< snip >>>
The frames are steel, not aluminum. But, the sucker is totaled... that's not the point.

Quote:
<<< snip >>> In spite of emerging intact, about the only advantage I can see here is easier clean-up of the accident site!
I would always prefer a product with more structural integrity over one with less.

Quote:
In any case, the ability to survive a roll-over accident is hardly a reason to favor one travel trailer type over another. The real question is how the different types of builds handle the little stuff that typically can be repaired: a hail storm, backing into a post, a fallen tree limb...
Oh, no, it is A reason (as it relates to structural integrity), but certainly not the ONLY reason. I would add to that: quality, floor plans, aesthetics, resale value, and a million-and-one other things that effect buying decisions. As for those things that CAN be repaired: that's why we have insurance.
Old 09-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by windgooroo1 View Post
One thing that nobody seems to want to talk about is what speed has to do with this type of accident. There's a reason why U-Haul has a max speed of 55 in their rental contract. .
Hummm I am willing to talk about it!

If fact I would be willing to bet that SPEED of towing is the number one reasons that many vehicles sold in Europe have a far higher tow capacity rating than the same vehicle found in North America. Europe has low across the country towing speed limits.

You could pull just about anything with a poor trailer/vehicle match or the trailer poorly set up without a problem if you never take it over 55 mph! ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
You could pull just about anything with a poor trailer/vehicle match or the trailer poorly set up without a problem if you never take it over 55 mph! ;-)
True, but you risk getting old and dying before you get there.

*please note the smilie face*

Have I mentioned (more that 50 times) that I would love to be retired and not in a hurry anymore?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Robust, indeed! In my mind, such robustness only makes economic sense when you are protecting people inside.

OR when you are planning on using the trailer for years and years to come. The more robust the trailer is built the longer it is going to stay intact through the wear and tear of travel.

Which trailer would you put your money on standing up to 20 -30 years of miles and miles of travel without any major structural issues. The sticky in the first photo or the Airstream or Fiberglass trailer?
Old 09-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #25

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
True, but you risk getting old and dying before you get there.

*please note the smilie face*

Have I mentioned (more that 50 times) that I would love to be retired and not in a hurry anymore?
Have seen your set up photos Jim and do not think I would class it in the poorly match category so suspect you will live long enough to retire!

Which btw I highly recommend
Old 09-19-2016, 02:13 PM   #26

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Stick-n-staple RVs rarely fare well in any accident.

I see dozens of travel trailers that are improperly hitched.I've also seen many wrecks due to it.I live very close to the interstate with a couple of popular stopping points.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:34 PM   #27

Name: Matt
Trailer: Hall GTC
California
Right. I live not too far from 101 in San Luis Obispo county, ca, which just happens to be on the way to and from Pismo Beach. Pismo is a magnet for RV's because of a couple of good RV parks and the Pismo Dunes so there are LOTS of RV's of all sorts passing through all the time. Most of the people pulling trailers and/or driving monster RV's, seem to be totally against travelling at a safe speed - especially going down the Cuesta Grade (a redundant name if you speak Spanish!). Because of this there are generally several horrific mishaps a year involving them, but it never seems to cause anyone to to slow down. 75 MPH going down a grade while pulling a trailer is not a brilliant plan! Remember when 45 was the limit?
windgooroo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:39 PM   #28

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post

Which btw I highly recommend
This is what everyone tells me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #29

Name: Ben
Trailer: None
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by windgooroo1 View Post
Right. I live not too far from 101 in San Luis Obispo county, ca, which just happens to be on the way to and from Pismo Beach. Pismo is a magnet for RV's because of a couple of good RV parks and the Pismo Dunes so there are LOTS of RV's of all sorts passing through all the time. Most of the people pulling trailers and/or driving monster RV's, seem to be totally against travelling at a safe speed - especially going down the Cuesta Grade (a redundant name if you speak Spanish!). Because of this there are generally several horrific mishaps a year involving them, but it never seems to cause anyone to to slow down. 75 MPH going down a grade while pulling a trailer is not a brilliant plan! Remember when 45 was the limit?
Yep.I live right on the SC/NC state line off of I-26.The gateway to the western NC mountains.People pulling travel trailers convoy through here by the dozens.I ride an adventure touring motorcycle most all the time,a small one at that.I have learned when,where,and what to avoid to keep from being caught in the middle of the carnage.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote