Thinking about towing with vintage wagon. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 08:46 PM   #1

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
Thinking about towing with vintage wagon.

I've been given a 1954 Ford station wagon and am thinking of using it as a tug for my LiteHouse. I've found a company that will build a hitch for it. I'm worried about the brakes in the wagon. They will be rebuilt before I try to tow but I worry that they won't be powerful enough to handle the added weight of the trailer. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Compact II
Send a message via AIM to Chuck H
A disc brake conversion and dual master cylinder would be a giant step in brake performance. Most old classics only had a single master cylinder and if you broke a brake line you lost brakes (I speak from experience with my 1956 chevy) and it ain't fun using a e-brake to stop. Chuck
Chuck H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Can brakes be added to the trailer?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 09:22 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
When I'm towing, I'm looking for safety and comfort and to being relaxed, knowing my vehicle is going to get me there.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Registry
Yes- My Tacoma is a much better TV. I just like the coolness factor of the old Ford.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:25 PM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Can brakes be added to the trailer?

Dave & Paula

It has a dry weight of under 1000 pounds and a torsion axel with 8" tires. I'm not sure but doubt it.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:39 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie B View Post
Yes- My Tacoma is a much better TV. I just like the coolness factor of the old Ford.
Back the Ford up to the trailer so it looks like it's hitched up, and take a picture. Way cheaper.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
An guy I know drove from California to the Adirondacks in NY in his 59 Ford wagon pulling a camper, and then back. Chuck has a good idea with the disc brakes and dual master cylinder. A 54 would have all wheel drum brakes with no power assist. At least it has a real frame so building a good hitch would be easy. I once had a 53 Ford wagon, but that was the last year for the flathead V8. Is your 54 a 6 or 8 cyl. With that year car, if it breaks down, it's much easier to fix. Carry a set of points and condenser with you. Another thought, 54 will be a 6 volt system, Ford didn't switch to 12 volt until 56, so that will be an issue with trailer brakes. I would convert the car to 12 volts.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #9

Registry
Yes. One of my first tasks will be the 12 volt conversion. It's a Y-block V8.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:15 AM   #10

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Maybe check to make sure the Y block is oiling the rockers and change the differential oil.

I really like the idea of disk brakes and dual master cylinder. 12 volt too, with trailer brakes.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:48 AM   #11

Name: Mike and Linda
Trailer: 1980 BIGFOOT 17'
Ontario
Registry
Thumbs up Vintage Tug

Great idea and should create lots of attention at any campground that you visit.

We own a 1980 model Bigfoot and are currently seeking a tow vehicle of the same vintage.

Cheers!
woodm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:08 AM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Sounds like a cool idea to me.

Maybe check to make sure the Y block is oiling the rockers and change the differential oil.

I really like the idea of disk brakes and dual master cylinder. 12 volt too, with trailer brakes.

The last engine I worked on was a 1968 VW. I have a lot to learn.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:19 AM   #13

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Chuck suggestion about the dual mastercylinder and disk brake upgrade is what I would do.

Add power assist. I did that on a Chevy years ago. Start with JCW.com to find the part and if they do not have anything and internet search does not turn something up, check with a local vintage car club.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #14

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The pic was taken on the beach at the south end of Carsbad Ca, we live in the BC interior. This car is of unibody construction, drum brakes on 4corners, dual master cylinder and the trailer loaded would be closer to 1500 lbs.
We made this trip in 2014.
As stated above, discs and dual master should be high on your list, the drums were put to the test once, did the job but discs would have been better.
Way cooler than my minivan but a little more stressful cause that red thing is my baby that I have been the caretaker of for 43 years and counting.
Fred
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_00001777.jpg  
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #15

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Definitely worth it. We all make our own decisions on how comfy we want to be. So long as you aren't risking anyones life who wasn't part of this decision, I see no problem with it. There is something to the vintage thing. It's not for everyone, but for those called by it, why not?

Until last year, I had never owned a vehicle with airbags. Now that I have them, I suddenly feel as though I'm not safe driving in a car without them. How'd that happen? It's absolutely a great thing to take advantage of modern safety equipment. But it's also ok not to.

I watched a documentary on motorcycle builders a few years ago. One of the guys, I think in Italy, made some comment about how anyone could buy a new BMW and decide to drive to a town 300 miles away, and know they're going to make it there with no problems. Where's the fun in that? With an old, classic bike, you're most likely going to have to stop and fix something, possibly even pull into some small town and find help at the local garage, meeting new people. That's the kind of trip he wanted. Again...that kind of trip is not for everyone. But it definitely is for some people.

I put 20,000 miles on a 1978 motorhome over a two year period. Doing tuneups and minor repairs down desert roads, ordering parts in to the nearest Toyota dealership down the road the direction I was headed, all that was part of my travels.

It's also really nice not to have to deal with that kind of stuff. Just depends on the kind of trip you want.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Well said, Zach!

I know myself, and when it comes to the mechanical side of travel, uneventful suits me just fine...

But I love to cross paths with vintage vehicles of all kinds and the folks who nurse them along!

To the OP I will just caution: know what you're getting into, and how much time and money you're prepared to invest. It can certainly be done, and it would be fun and attention-getting, but it won't be the cheapest or easiest way to get there.

How about a picture?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #17

Registry
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3536.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	103005Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3535.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	103006

This is it. It's lived in this shed for the past 20 years. I'm expecting to do tires, hoses, brakes and fluids first thing.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #18

Name: jim & mary
Trailer: scamp 13 1999
Washington
Registry
towing with vintage vehicle

do it and have fun. Would convert to disc brakes in front and a dual power assisted master cylinder Have been towing a 13 foot scamp behind my 1947 ford street rod for many years,and also my 1934 dodge street rod. They both have modern drivetrains as well as some creature comforts.good oodluck and have fun.

Jim Ellis
jim ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #19

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
Nice Ford! I had a 49 Tudor Sedan, V8 flathead, 3-on-the-tree with overdrive. It was my grandmother's car at one time. It had the old 6V positive ground system. Never used it to tow anything, although it had a trailer hitch installed by the original owner.

I think the brake upgrade is a great idea, also fresh springs and other running gear. Is it an automatic? Not sure about the reliability of the old 2-speed autos, but the manual trannies are indestructable.

These old cars are body-on-frame, just like a pickup truck, so they have the structural integrity, assuming rust etc. hasn't taken a toll.

My 49 had manual steering, and the old kingpin front-end. Yours may be a more modern design, but cranking that wheel would build your arm muscles.

I recommend seatbelts and headrests, if you don't have them. Whiplash injuries are bad.
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #20

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
People who have more experience with true vintage vehicles and not just 70s & 80s trucks like me would know better, but the "sitting for 20 years" thing is a concern.

Without oil circulating around the engine, a lot of seals will dry out, shrink and become brittle. That means once oil is circulating again finally, it's going to have a lot of escape routes...

I'm sure you'll take it all into account. I would just say that before you start planning any trip and getting too excited, get that thing running and driving around town and see how it does. No matter what, it looks like it's worth the effort.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin