Timbren Axle-less Suspension on Acorn ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #1

Name: Nancy
Trailer: Acorn
Wisconsin
Timbren Axle-less Suspension on Acorn ???

Hi: We will be replacing the axle on our 13 foot 1979 Acorn and we're wondering if anyone has ever used a Timbren Axle-less suspension System on their Scamp or Acorn. We talked to Scamp and they said that they knew of people who have used the Timbren System with no problems. We were wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this system. Opinions? Advice? Preferences, Etc. Thanks!
NancyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:11 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyS View Post
Hi: We will be replacing the axle on our 13 foot 1979 Acorn and we're wondering if anyone has ever used a Timbren Axle-less suspension System on their Scamp or Acorn. We talked to Scamp and they said that they knew of people who have used the Timbren System with no problems. We were wondering if anyone has any personal experience with this system. Opinions? Advice? Preferences, Etc. Thanks!
Would you be doing the work yourself? With the two separate axle halves it would be more difficult to assure correct alignment and wheel camber. Also not sure if this system comes with brakes, but this is an ideal time to add them. Would Scamp install an axle for you?

Edit:
I see brakes are available over 2000# . The biggest hurdle I see is reinforcing the frame so it wouldn't twist in reaction to bumps.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:09 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Nope, we'll have it installed by our local (trusted) mechanic. We'd love to take it up to Scamp, but it's about a 1,000 mile trip there and back.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyS View Post
Nope, we'll have it installed by our local (trusted) mechanic. We'd love to take it up to Scamp, but it's about a 1,000 mile trip there and back.
Too bad, that might be the least expensive option. What attracts you to this axle as opposed to ordering a Dexter or similar torsion axle?
Old 08-05-2013, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I don't think Scamp (actually Eveland's, the company) would necessarily be a great option for installation - they are not known for willingness to change, and this is not their normal axle. When they switched brands from Dexter to Al-Ko, they messed up a lot of trailers with structurally unsound installations, so I wouldn't count on the people doing the work to understand what they're doing when it is not exactly like the last one.

The alignment issue is significant, especially with the light Boler/Scamp 13' frame, and the easiest solution is to run a 2" square tube across the trailer through the suspension units. One challenge would be clearance; the original leading-axle setup was done by Boler (and thus copied for the Scamp/Acorn) to get around the dropped floor section, and perhaps a 1979 Acorn still has this configuration. The dropped floor could interfere with the square tube (depending on mounting height), but also with the suspension units themselves which are much wider than a Torflex or Al-Ko mounting bracket.

The previous major discussion of this Timbren product is http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ren-58071.html.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't think Scamp (actually Eveland's, the company) would necessarily be a great option for installation - they are not known for willingness to change, and this is not their normal axle.,.........
I wasn't clear. I was thinking Scamp could install new axle like the original, but with brakes.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:06 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I was thinking Scamp could install new axle like the original, but with brakes.
Ah... in that case, I agree. If a design change is not desired, the Scamp factory has the right part, knows how to do this, and does it at a reasonable price according to reports in this forum.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #8

Wisconsin
Thanks so much for your input. We crawled around and took a good look under the Acorn this afternoon. My husband had already decided that the Timbren system would not work because of exactly what was noted above, so we'll be going with the standard Dexter torsion axle or equivalent. The trip to Minnesota is still a possibility . . . we want to make sure that the correct parts are installed correctly (not to be redundant)

Thanks again!

Tags
axle