Tire blowout/Andersen WDH - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-30-2016, 10:58 AM   #15

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
JUST FYI; I replaced the GoodYear Marathons with Rubbermaster ST 225/75R15 load range E tires, 10 ply, purchased in a small Montana town, with no other brand available at the time. Max PSI for the tire is 80 psi. Max speed 81 mph.

The trailer is now at home, but we expect to go out again in a couple of weeks. I will put 80 psi in the tires before I leave.

My truck tires are Michelin LT 275/65R18, Load range E, Max 80 psi. I have been running with 40 psi in front and 45 psi in the rear. However, I may increase to 50 or even 60 psi in the rear to level out the truck: That is, to have the distance from the rim to the pavement the same in the front and back after hooking up the trailer and loading the pickup box.

I probably will be installing air bags to help with leveling the trailer. Right now the loaded trailer is slightly tongue down. Pulls great as is however.
Be careful here. Your trailer wheels may be rated for less than 80 PSI.

Old 09-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
Your blowout occurred due to inferior Chinese/Asian manufactured trailer TIRES!

There are NO trailer tires currently manufactured in the USA and there has not been any for years. All currently available trailer tires for sale in the USA are manufactured overseas somewhere. This includes Goodyear Marathon tires.

This PROBLEM with offshore tire blowouts is so widespread that Jayco has entered into an agreement with Goodyear to exclusively install special Goodyear Trailer tires on their RV vehicles that Goodyear will NOW manufacture in the USA.

There will be ONE exclusive Goodyear tire dealer for these Goodyear tires supplied to Jayco however no information if these USA made Goodyear trailer tires will be available for purchase by the general public. This is the first time in many years that a trailer tire will be manufactured in the USA.

"I" now always install on my trailers "LT" or light truck tires in the appropriate size if available and suggest to anyone else they do the same. Since doing this per the "suggestion" from the Motorsports Director at one the major US tires companies I have never had a blowout or tire issue arise on any of my trailers. This includes all my trailers from a 40 foot triple axle trailer down to an light fiberglass RV trailer.

Prior to this "suggestion" I also had many trailer tire failures when running trailer tires of any brand on a trailer. On one trip Nashville to Dallas in 2010 with my 40 foot 2 car triple axle trailer loaded with only 1 car on the trailer I had 3, count em 3, Goodyear Marathon tires blow out all less than 3 months old with less than 1,000 miles. I arrived in Dallas at Mecum auction with tires on the front and rear axle and no tires on the middle axle. Good thing I had a spare tire and well built trailer!

Goodyear tires solution to this problem was to have me return to them the blown tires for inspection. Upon inspection their offer was not to replace the tires but a complete full refund for the full set of 7 tires as long as I signed a "Release of Further Liability" statement. Minor damage to the trailer that I did no receive compensation for damage. Makes you wonder what they know about their own overseas made tires????

I have since run USA manufactured "LT" light truck tires on this trailer and all my other trailers and have have never had a tire failure since on any trailer and this includes the triple axle 2 car trailer has been pulled "Coast to Coast" numerous times since that Dallas trip fiasco!

Here is a link to the article about Jayco and Goodyear:

https://rv-pro.com/news/jayco-will-b...)&utm_content=

Old 09-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #17

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've been towing with Goodyear Marathons for 9 years now towing at least 7 months a year and have never had a trailer tire blowout... Knock on wood.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Uhaul
Tennessee
That NICE light fiberglass trailer sure helps!!!
Old 09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #19

Name: David
Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
California
[QUOTE=Rzrbrn;611127]Just got back from a 3 month trip out west we left 7/5/2016. I have a 2013 Casita Spirit, pulled by a 2011 Toyota Tundra 4x4, 5.7L engine. The original tire blew out while going 60 mph in Nebraska early in the trip.

I heard a loud bang and felt a slight jiggle in the steering wheel. So slight in fact, that my first thought was that the propane tank must have blown. The bang startled my wife, who looked back and yelled flat tire, so I immediately pulled over. Even then I did not think it was a blown tire because of the way the truck was handling, way too smooth for a flat tire.

==============================================

When I read this I couldn't help thinking of all the folks who write in asking, " Can I tow my Scamp / Casita with my Sonata / Corolla / Mini / or other small car. ? " This could have come out very different with a very light car as the TV. Just sayin'. David in Fresno and Sonora
Old 09-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I think there is something wrong with the tires. My tires were checked for air pressure and air was added before I left home. I only drive about 55- 58 on highways, was only 1 1/2 hr. into my trip. Do we have to be aeronautical engineers to operate these lightweight campers or what. Just my thoughts. Carl
Old 09-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #21

California
Trailer problems ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I think there is something wrong with the tires. My tires were checked for air pressure and air was added before I left home. I only drive about 55- 58 on highways, was only 1 1/2 hr. into my trip. Do we have to be aeronautical engineers to operate these lightweight campers or what. Just my thoughts. Carl
-------------------------=====================--------------
I really believe it is a problem with trailer tires themselves, made worse by the fact that all are made in China. Most of us have had trailer tire problems. When is the last time your passenger car or pickup had a " Blowout " ? Probably never ! Car tires can get 60,000 or more miles on them. And they have more high speed ( 70-80 mph ) cornering, braking , spinning and stopping. It is not much of a problem with my Scamp 13' but I did have a tire failure late at night on " The Grapevine " pass north of LA. As well as odd wear patterns. I may try light truck tires next. David in Fresno and Sonora
Old 09-30-2016, 01:12 PM   #22

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
-------------------------=====================--------------
I really believe it is a problem with trailer tires themselves, made worse by the fact that all are made in China.
Along with your smart phone, computers and a gazillion other things that you buy and rely on.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:16 PM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Along with your smart phone, computers and a gazillion other things that you buy and rely on.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------- But not the Cheese !
Old 09-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Tire blowout/Andersen WDH

Funny how a relatively minor incident like this becomes a lightening rod for every controversial subject imaginable: WDH, trucks vs. cars as tow vehicles, ST vs LT tires, globalization,

I think the real reason the tire blew is because the trailer has a bathroom!
Old 09-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
"When I read this I couldn't help thinking of all the folks who write in asking, " Can I tow my Scamp / Casita with my Sonata / Corolla / Mini / or other small car. ? " This could have come out very different with a very light car as the TV. Just sayin'." David in Fresno and Sonora

I'm one of those people that towed mostly our 2600 lb Scamp 16 for 7 years with a 4 cylinder 2004 Honda CRV.. doing it with no tow vehicle issues, selling it after 250,000 trouble free miles.

I've now towed for 2 years with a Honda Odyssey, comparatively a beast to the CRV. Towing with either tow vehicle the Scamp 16 has towed beautifully.

Over the years our biggest issue was the trailer's receiver coming off the ball. Probably in part thanks to the anti-sway bar, it was not an issue and had no negative effect on the tow vehicle. (The problem was the result of a previous owner's modification of the ball receiver.)

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I think it's a small tire big pothole issue. To me it seems the road damage on the highway is far worse on the passenger's side of the right lane. In California we have to tow trailers in the truck lane and I run into severe road damage I can't avoid. The high pressure, stiff sidewalls and small diameter of our Scamp trailer tires doesnt leave much cushing of the blow to disperse the impact. They get bruised and abused and let go when they're tired of going roundy round.

I try to buy proper ply tires and not something like 2 ply tire 3 ply rated. Then you have the whole buying a tire sitting for a long time on the shelf due to the low turnover rate of trailer tires.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:27 PM   #27

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
My experience says that the majority of small tire catastrophic failures are the result of some sort of road hazard. Other failures usually give plenty of warning if regular inspection is done.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #28

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
If were me I'd make sure I weighed the trailer on next trip out. Weigh each wheel independently. I think you'll be surprised.