Tire blowout/Andersen WDH - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-01-2016, 12:44 PM   #43

Name: Dave (AKA John)
Trailer: Scamp 16 SD std
Georgia
Registry
I've never had a tire blowout on our Scamp, although I have experienced total and partial tread separation and a flat tire or two.
Our first tread separation was Goodyear 13" Marathon, which appeared fine at the gas station 10 miles before the tire failed. Only way I noticed it was the belly band was just a little lower in my mirror on the passenger side. (I suspect the previous owner only inflated these to 32 lbs like her car)
Our 13" D rated Loadstar got a golf ball sized bubble on the inner sidewall, noticed by an alert driver following me in stop and go Atlanta driving.
Our 14' Taskmaster Provider started showing steel belt on our Alaska trip, but did not come apart. I suspect that was a tire that was not built just right as it continued wearing on the outside even though I rotated it (the other tire did not have any unusual wear pattern even after rotation)
On one trip, drivers came alongside and pointed to the back. Twice I pulled over to look at the trailer tires but couldn't find any abnormalities. After pulling back on the highway after the 2nd check, the truck started wiggling a bit on acceleration and that's when I realized it was the Michelin truck tire that was the issue. Picked up a sliver of a seashell somewhere that allowed air to escape.
We also lost a truck tire on the Alaska trip, punctured by a sharp piece of gravel on the Tok cutoff road.
A common thread is that I never felt any of these tire issues initially, and all the trailer tires were made in China except the Goodyear that was made in Thailand.

We now have some 14" Carlisle load range D ST tires, made in China, that have "81 MPH" marked on the sidewalls. We never come close to that but I'm hoping the extra testing required to meet the 81 MPH rating results in a stronger tire.

08 Subaru Outback 2.5 (alternate TV)
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 01:27 PM   #44

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sensor and Display Questions

[QUOTE=gordon2;611205]Every time I read a thread like this, with the mention of driver's hardly being able to tell when a trailer tire went bad, or when it does, the large amount of damage that can be done, I am happy that I invested $155 for a tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). In case of a slow leak, it will insure that I do not continue driving with under-inflated tires. In the case of a sudden pressure loss, it will instantly alert and, if I can stop in time, then damage to the camper might prevented or at least minimized. Of course a sudden blow out at 65 MPH is still likely to do some damage so the TPMS is no substitute for proper tire maintenance, regular inspections, etc.

Gordon,

Do you require the repeater the supplier offers to use these sensors?

Does the display show the pressure of both tires at the same time?

Does it display the temperature at the same time as the pressure?
With my Sensors you have to push a button to see the temperature.

Thank you. My present sensors are beginning to fail after 5 years and need replacing..

Thanks

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #45

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

[1] Do you require the repeater the supplier offers to use these sensors?

[2] Does the display show the pressure of both tires at the same time?

[3] Does it display the temperature at the same time as the pressure?
With my Sensors you have to push a button to see the temperature.
1. I have had no problem with the display receiving data. I have even had the display (receiver) in my house a good ways from the trailer and still got reception.

2. No, it alternates the display for each tire (or scrolls though all the tires if you have more than two sensors).

3. It shows the pressure and temp on a single tire for five seconds at a time. You can "fast forward" to a tire and it then will display for ten seconds but with only two tires I have always found it easier to just wait for (no more than) five seconds to see the next tire data. There is a icon that shows which tire is being displayed.

The sensors sample the pressure and temp every six seconds but only transmit updates every five minutes (to conserve battery life). My first thought was that this was not frequent enough however in practice it seems to be a good way to to do it. However it is a bit disconcerting when you put the sensors on the valves and it takes up to five minutes to get a reading on the display.

There is also a "fast leakage alert" function that triggers when there is a rapid pressure loss however I do not know exactly what it takes to trigger it. Sudden pressure loss is reported almost immediately (for example when I remove the sensors). It would be interesting to test this function by dropping the pressure at different rates and to different levels to see when it triggers.

Battery life on the display is good. I charge it up before a trip and carry the charger with me, but have not had to plug it in while on the road.

I also choose to remove the anti-theft device from the sensors. That way I can just unscrew them without any tools and they are slightly lighter. Of course they are then subject to be stolen but since I routinely take them off theft is not really a concern.

I should emphasis the need for metal valve stems but they are cheap and Discount Tire put them in for me with no installation charge.

Your other choices include the flow through models (you can add air without removing the sensors), and the internally mounted sensors. To me, the former do not seem to offer any real benefit. The later (internal sensors) might have some advantages that make them worth considering but I am OK with what I have.

Here is one source for the manuals (but not where I bought mine from).
Old 10-01-2016, 08:27 PM   #46

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
Our 13" D rated Loadstar got a golf ball sized bubble on the inner sidewall,...
Exactly what happened to the tire I had on my pre-Scamp pop-up. I saw it when prepping the camper in the spring. I'm sure glad I found it before hitting the road. It might have even been a Loadstar (aka Load-of-crap) tire.

This reinforces the need to also visually inspect your tires on a regular basis in addition to all the other tire maintenance and storage guidelines which you should be following.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #47

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Thanks for the info. I agree that flow through sensors are unnecessary as well I never used the anti-theft feature on our present sensors. In 5 years we've never had one stolen.

When we get home I plan to buy a set for our Scamp. Beyond notifying us of active problems, it also reminds us of the need for pressure maintenance. We keep our tires at 50 psi cold and as we travel from South to North it reminds us to add air.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #48

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver 23.5
Boerne, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
A few months ago I put metal valve stems on my trailer's wheels and ordered the TST 507 RV (non-flow through model) from this retailer who is a couple who full time RV and have a small business selling a few products. I was happy with the seller and I am still happy with the product.
I have the same TPMS from the same vendor. It works well. Customer service from Plugitright is among the best I've encountered. Mike
The Lonestar Oliver #135 | Ram 1500 5.7L
Carol and Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #49

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have the TST 510, which has heavier screw-on sensors than the 507. Yet TST CS told me (when I asked) that I would be ok with high pressure valve stems; they have enough metal in them to maintain rigidity.

My tire shop showed me another trick, though; they had a piece of metal they could put on the rubber stem, like a sleeve, to stiffen it. This came up because a rim I bought had a stem hole just a hair too big (outer end of spec tolerances?) to maintain proper seal on their other valve stems and I kept losing 3-4 psi per week, but the rubber stem sealed just fine.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #50

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
If you read in the papers of a Casita or sometimes on the wheel well it says not to tow above 60MPH unless you change the tire pressure. Brand of tires is an issue also. Marathons are not good tires. We got rid of ours within 2 years because of bad wear. Age of tires on trailers or RV's should be replaced if 7 years old.
Old 10-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #51
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Pressure I get but how does a valve stem sensor read the tire temperature of a tire without being inside the tire?
Old 10-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Pressure I get but how does a valve stem sensor read the tire temperature of a tire without being inside the tire?
Same way any air gauge does; depresses the center pin and the sensor body fills with air.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 07:12 PM   #53

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Iowa
Marathons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
If you read in the papers of a Casita or sometimes on the wheel well it says not to tow above 60MPH unless you change the tire pressure. Brand of tires is an issue also. Marathons are not good tires. We got rid of ours within 2 years because of bad wear. Age of tires on trailers or RV's should be replaced if 7 years old.
I did not have any problem with the original Marathons on our Escape
Ran them 45,000 miles and still had 4/32. Put new ones on last spring.
Have 13,500 miles on them this summer. No problems. I am religious on tire pressures. Even loading, proper torque on the bearing thrust washer.
Dave
Old 10-09-2016, 07:16 PM   #54

Name: Glenn
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Same here. Ran my Marathons for almost eight years. Replaced them for age. Lots of tread on them.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:18 PM   #55

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Iowa
Attention to detail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Same here. Ran my Marathons for almost eight years. Replaced them for age. Lots of tread on them.
Hi Glenn,
I believe that whatever the system being considered it pays great dividends for the owner to fully understand the operation and maintenance of that system. I failed to mention that tire balance, axle alignment, attitude of the trailer at the hitch, tongue weight, all contribute to the wear and tear on the trailer and the
tires it runs on. I never knock another person's equipment, rather I spend my time on routine maintenance and going camping.
Dave
Old 10-09-2016, 09:02 PM   #56

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That is a very good question and one reason that I suggested that an internal sensor might have some benefits. The air in a stem mounted sensor would not be flowing so I don't see how it could get a accurate temp reading from the tire's air. I must assume that the temp reading is through conduction via the metal valve stem. All I can tell you is that the temp readings I have seen seem to be very reasonable. If one tire is in the sun, the reading is higher. The temps increase about the amount you would expect when traveling. If I saw a rise that I thought was excessive, I would stop and investigate.