Tire monitoring - a pleasant purchase experience - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2015, 01:38 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Tire monitoring - a pleasant purchase experience

Prompted by comments from Norm and others on this forum regarding the safety benefits of a tire pressure/temperature monitoring system I decided to invest in one before next summer’s camping season. My web research led me to focus on the TST system. I was however frustrated that Amazon and other major sources offered only systems with four or more sensors and I only need two (my TV already has them). The TST website did offer a two sensor package but with very little information on what was actually in the package. I emailed them for more information (using their web-based “contact us” form so they should have received it) but never received a response.

In my web wanders I somehow found the website for “Plug It Right” plugitright@gmail.com a small family business in south Texas offering a miscellaneous selection of RV oriented products. Though they also only offered the four or more sensor TST product, I emailed for more information and also asked about the possibility of a two sensor package. I had an immediate and very informative response from Diana Irrgang, co-owner. She emailed me a detailed sheet of information (written by them based on their actual experience) and in both phone and email conversation she helped me figure out which model made most sense for my needs and offered to sell me whatever model I wanted in a two sensor version. Not only was her pricing very competitive, she included free express mail shipping. And it got better. A day after I ordered the unit, she emailed with an apology that she had mis-priced it and would mail me a $4 check to cover the difference.

During our conversation I mentioned there are likely others with small single axle RV’s that might be in the market for a two sensor package and she is now offering them as a regular item on their website.

Overall a very positive experience and I’m confident if I have any further questions or encounter any problems I will receive the same prompt response and courtesy.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
There has been debate on the use of tire pressure monitoring systems on this site. I used the green/red screw on and you just look at devices for a few years with absolutely no problems then a few years ago I purchased the electronic monitoring system and again, no problems. The speculation by some on this site that installing such devices would create another point of failure and that there would be a loss of air. That did not happen with the visual units and has not happened with the electronic units. The electronic units also monitor the tire temp and do it really well, so we'll that you can see the difference between the tires in the sun and the others. I highly recommend the electronic units because should there be a problem, you get an immediate alarm on your In Cab Reciever.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I didn't know there was a debate about their use. I've used them for probably 5 years and other than batteries wearing out and one sensor failure there have been no issues.

We have never had air loss due to a stem mounted sensor.

One advantage to the sensors on our trailer is that you can continuously see what's happening instead of like typical car sensors that announce failures or pending failures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Which model TPMS did you pick

I was looking at the few models (TST Brand) they carry and I was a little unclear of the differences. Which model did you pick? It is great to hear of such good service.
Don
Sacramento
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #5

Vermont
Don,
The major difference is that the 510 has long-life sealed batteries which can only be changed by sending back to the manufacturer and the 507 has user replaceable batteries that need to be changed every year or so and can be purchased locally. There is also some difference, though not significant, in the monitoring/display unit. Price is about the same. I elected to go with the 510. Diana at PlugIt sent me a good review of the various attributes of both. I'll try to figure out how to forward it to you.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Vermont
Don,
I should clarify my previous: batteries I was referencing are in the sensors on the tires. The batteries in the monitor are rechargable by plugging into the TV's 12V outlet.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Don,
...Diana at PlugIt sent me a good review of the various attributes of both. I'll try to figure out how to forward it to you.
Can you attach it to a post here? I would like to see it and others also would I think.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

Vermont
Don and Gordon - I'll send you each the info via email. Out of respect for the original author of the material I'd like to check with her and gain permission before making a general posting.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:05 PM   #9

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
I understand that, as with many products, tire minders with different names are exactly the same product.

Ours seem to work a day or so and then not so we are not happy with them. Have received a new sensor and bothered with them some but often can't get them working. When working, they are great as it is good to also have the tire temperatures.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:20 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Sorry to hear you did not get a response directly from TST, it seems unusual. I read a lot of great comments about their customer service on another forum, and I've experienced that CS. I bought a 4 sensor package from them and a while later I got too close to a very high curb and tore the sensor apart (also broke the metal valve stem). When I wrote them to ask if it was repairable or if I'd need to buy another (I explained that it was my fault), TST promptly replied that if I'd send the broken one to them they would send a replacement free of charge! And they did so. I could not be happier.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #11

Name: Teal
Trailer: Scamp 16
Arizona
In regards to wheels and tires... my brother suggests I check and ti check tighten my lug nuts....anyone else do this periodically? I will have unload my rear car and dig out my jack lug wrench to do it. I suppose bethere safe than sorry. Your experiences are always hlepful.
Teal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:17 AM   #12

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDavidG View Post
Don and Gordon - I'll send you each the info via email. Out of respect for the original author of the material I'd like to check with her and gain permission before making a general posting.
David I'd like to see that as well, as the replaceable batteries seem more practical.
TIA

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:12 PM   #13

Vermont
OK- for all who expressed interest - here is the information comparing the three different model options with a TST pressure/temperature monitoring system (note: it's not a comparison of other brands). I am posting this with permission of the source at "Plug It Right"
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TST Comparision Sheet.pdf (50.9 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #14

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Sorry to hear you did not get a response directly from TST, it seems unusual. I read a lot of great comments about their customer service on another forum, and I've experienced that CS. I bought a 4 sensor package from them and a while later I got too close to a very high curb and tore the sensor apart (also broke the metal valve stem). When I wrote them to ask if it was repairable or if I'd need to buy another (I explained that it was my fault), TST promptly replied that if I'd send the broken one to them they would send a replacement free of charge! And they did so. I could not be happier.
Mike,
I'm pleased to hear of this good service. My lack of a response from them is most likely an exception and not their norm. Good to know.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Forget all the "high tech" stuff and just invest in a quality tire pressure gauge. ..... And use it once a week.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:32 PM   #16

Name: Scott
Trailer: Escape
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Forget all the "high tech" stuff and just invest in a quality tire pressure gauge. ..... And use it once a week.

...Won't provide immediate feedback like a TPM when you run over a nail on the interstate. TPM and pressure gauge do related but different things.
Old 12-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The tire gage Will not help Wayne when he has a Bering gone bad, over heats and Ruins that axle. This is one high tech option that all vehicles should have, I guess that is why the government mandated it for all new vehicles.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 06:27 PM   #18

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Most places sell the additional sensors as 2 packs. We sell them individually for those of you that asked for an odd number to also cover the spare.

TST 507 tire monitor starter kit

Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:51 PM   #19

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Hi Jim
We've met at rallies, but I have a Bigfoot, so this is the first chance I've had to actually buy something from you. Just ordered a TST set.
I've had catastrophic tire failures on three of my fiberglass trailers, and look forward to the added security.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:12 PM   #20

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Walt,

Great to finally do business with you.
See you at Bluebonnet.

Cheers,
Jim
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote