Tire pressure - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 10:06 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Boler 13' 1973
British Columbia
Registry
Tire pressure

What is the recommended tire pressure for trailer tires for a 1973 boler 13'? Thanks in advance just getting the old girl ready for its 8000 km trip in two weeks. Thanks in advance.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

British Columbia
Registry
I should note that they are west lake St 175/80r13.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Old 03-15-2015, 11:32 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Jason the tire pressure should be listed on the sidewall for max pressure. The date code of the tire for age is also listed there.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:52 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I have Maxxis M8008 175/80-13 tires on my Compact Jr. The sidewall information says maximum inflation is 50 psi and loads rating is 1360 lbs. The trailer weighs 1200 lbs. I inflate the tires to 40 psi and never had a problem. Any tire information provided by a trailer manufacturer 40+ years ago is about as current as flowered bell bottom pants and leisure suits.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:08 PM   #5

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Hey.... I just got my flowered bell bottoms out of the closet to wear with my Leisure suit aloha shirts..... Be Nice......
Old 03-16-2015, 06:06 PM   #6

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Jason, I personally would go with the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

Bob, I think I found an older photo of you in one of your outfits. Lookin' good.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:35 PM   #7

California
Wow, that is very close, I tried to post one of my pics from the 70's and the webmaster's webmasters webmaster rejected it..... Something about "Cultural Obscenities" being prohibited. And it even goes with my early 70's FGRV....cooooool

Now if only I could remember the 70's, all I have is pics, stories that I don't really believe myself, and a box of bail bond receipts. (LOLOLOL0L)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #8

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
This is way off topic, but here is a link to the original cushion fabric in my 1973 Compact Jr. The original fiberglass was lime green. The '70s were colorful.

Original Cushion Covers Photo by tomNjo | Photobucket
Old 03-16-2015, 10:21 PM   #9

California
I haven't got the literature for the Compact Jr. but the Compact-II was done in a 70's correct Gold fabric with piping. I've got a complete original set if anyone is looking.
Sorry, the shag carpeting is long gone, took to long to rake out after use....
Old 03-17-2015, 06:14 AM   #10

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Since you don't know what your ACTUAL axle weights are I suggest the maximum pressure molded on the tire until you get your trailer weighed somewhere and you can check the infl/load tables. Of course you are assuming that the tire on there has sufficient capacity at its maximum load/infl but you've got to start somewhere.

The max 13' Boler on Fred's list (I haven't looked at the list in months) was 2200 pounds or about 1100 per tire. However, the tire inflation should be set according to the individual tire load not the axle/2 so I don't know if that tidbit is much help.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:57 AM   #11

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks all for the info, currently I am inflated to 42 psi with the max being 50 psi listed on the tire itself. I think I will bump it up by the sounds of it. I am actually planning on weighing it at the start of the my trip next week as there is a DOT scale that is open 24 hours a day at no charge about and hour away.

Thanks again, Jason
Old 03-17-2015, 12:41 PM   #12

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgetboy View Post
Thanks all for the info, currently I am inflated to 42 psi with the max being 50 psi listed on the tire itself. I think I will bump it up by the sounds of it. I am actually planning on weighing it at the start of the my trip next week as there is a DOT scale that is open 24 hours a day at no charge about and hour away.

Thanks again, Jason
good plan I run mine at the tires max psi. More than a few have been surprised as to what their trailers loaded up for camping actually weigh.

Don't forget to add the tongue weight into the total weight calculation as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 07:17 PM   #13

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
[QUOTE=Jim Bennett;510238]Jason, I personally would go with the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

NOT! only if the actual weight on the tires is at the maximum allowed do you want to use max pressure (50 psi). with lower weights you may reduce air pressures. Try to find a "LOAD/INFLATION" chart for you tires. An on-line search may help. But, a simple rule of thumb is - Adjust air pressure so that you can just see a small amount of sidewall bulge where the tire sits on the ground. That should give the trailer a softer ride, less bounce. STOP after an hour of driving at highway speeds and FEEL the tire sidewalls with your hands. If you can hold your hand on it, or a just a bit warm, you are good to go.
A tire with too much air will feel cold. The walls are not flexing.
Our 16 ft SD DLX Scamp weighs about 2800 lb or 1400 lb per tire. I run them between 30 and 35 psi. the original factory tires went 10 years with no problems. I replaced them with the next size wider tires, which had a little more load capacity, but still use the same pressures.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
[QUOTE=Wayne Collins;517266]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Jason, I personally would go with the maximum pressure listed on the sidewall.

NOT! only if the actual weight on the tires is at the maximum allowed do you want to use max pressure (50 psi). with lower weights you may reduce air pressures. Try to find a "LOAD/INFLATION" chart for you tires. An on-line search may help. But, a simple rule of thumb is - Adjust air pressure so that you can just see a small amount of sidewall bulge where the tire sits on the ground. That should give the trailer a softer ride, less bounce. STOP after an hour of driving at highway speeds and FEEL the tire sidewalls with your hands. If you can hold your hand on it, or a just a bit warm, you are good to go.
A tire with too much air will feel cold. The walls are not flexing.
Our 16 ft SD DLX Scamp weighs about 2800 lb or 1400 lb per tire. I run them between 30 and 35 psi. the original factory tires went 10 years with no problems. I replaced them with the next size wider tires, which had a little more load capacity, but still use the same pressures.
Look carefully... Load/inflation charts on most tire sites are MINIMUMS to avoid tire damage.