Tire pressure - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #15

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
More here
So you have had the new tires for about eight months now? From your blog it sounds like maybe you have put very few miles on since replacing the tires but as you add milage, please keep us posted... I really think that by 20,000 miles you will see similar wear on your new tires (because the cause is not the tires themselves). That is my guess.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #16

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
Tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
So you have had the new tires for about eight months now? From your blog it sounds like maybe you have put very few miles on since replacing the tires but as you add milage, please keep us posted... I really think that by 20,000 miles you will see similar wear on your new tires (because the cause is not the tires themselves). That is my guess.
Less than 2,000 miles on the tires so they still look new.

I agree, the same abnormal wear will probably happen again as I haven't changed anything. Wish I could figure out what caused both shoulders to wear off.

Trailer has rubber torsion axles, seems like if camber was off just one shoulder would wear, if wheels weren't parallel (toe in or out) the whole tread width would wear. ???

First set of tires were not balanced but I don't see how imbalance would cause the problem. Second set has been - just in case I'm wrong about that.

Old 08-07-2016, 09:05 PM   #17

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
One of mine was wearing like that. The wheel bearing on that side was loose. I adjusted the bearing and swapped the tires around on the wheels so the wear is on the outside. We have 16,000 on the trailer. So far it is wearing ok. If I get 20,000 on these cheap 14" tires I will be satisfied.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Old 08-08-2016, 03:57 PM   #18

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I have seen trailer tires that had significantly deeper tread in the center than near the edges. Those tires may be wearing evenly, considering what was there to start with. Not sure. You'd have to measure the tread on a new NT tire to know if that's the deal.

BTW, I had a tire store put some tires on my Hauley and they wore like iron. I was very skeptical when they told me they were selling me "the good tires," since I never heard of them before: AKURET brand. But I got over 40,000 miles out of the one (the other wore on one side too much at about 30K due to a bearing issue). Best trailer tires I ever had.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:35 PM   #19

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
We have st radials and they are working great.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:24 PM   #20

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
What brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
We have st radials and they are working great.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #21

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
What brand?
Hercules, Power STR, Steel Belted Radials ST205/75 R14 load range c
load range b would have done the job just the c did as much as the axle.
The Earlton sticker has the max recommended loaded weight with original bias ply tires as only 3000 lbs and we would not load it that heavy so b rating would have done the job. We also do not inflate to max on tire but use the amount on the closet door sticker recommended by Earlton boler works

p.s I repack the bearings, new cotter pins each time, check the breaks and lights before every long trip, just want no surprises.

We custom ordered our tv with extras Dealer wanted.

We have items like a full size spare "great as unable to tow with a regular temp spare and we would not like to leave the trailer at the side of the road" upgradeded hitch to a class 3 hitch later needed for the wd system recommended on boler sticker, the class 2 would have done the job, trans-axle cooler. electric brakes and more.

We wanted no warranty problems and checked with the local MTO on requirements as well for our trailer with our tv.

Hope this helps