Tire pressure for 13ft boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #1

Name: Nolan
Trailer: Boler 13ft 1972
British Columbia
Tire pressure for 13ft boler

Hi. I am struggling to find proper inflation pressure for my boiler. Assume 1400 lbs or 1500 lbs spread over 2 185-80R-13 tires (maxxis). According to their website, inflating them to just 25psi would allow load of 990 lbs each. The table doesn't go lower. And this pressure seems really low. Could this be? We plan on driving cross country. Trailer has brakes, not that it makes a difference I think. Tires are new. Any input on your inflation pressure would be welcome.
nolan krombein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:30 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Tire pressure for 13ft boler

I run my Scamp 13, which is probably a little heavier than yours, at 40psi. I like having plenty of margin.

Running at the minimum required to support the weight is just asking for trouble. For one thing, trailers tend to gain weight over time as you add one more tool or gadget into the storage compartments. For another, a slow leak can more quickly turn into a blowout if you're running at minimum pressure.

There's actually nothing wrong with running at the full sidewall pressure. Some tire manufacturers advocate that, but I suspect they're thinking of utility trailers, where the weight can vary dramatically from one day to the next.

Some make the mistake of trying to compensate for a harsh ride by decreasing tire pressure. A good axle, appropriately rated for the weight of the trailer, should not need any help from the tires.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Given that the OP is rejecting advice about towing with a Mazda 5, I have no plans to respond to any other queries about trailering.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan krombein View Post
Hi. I am struggling to find proper inflation pressure for my boiler. Assume 1400 lbs or 1500 lbs spread over 2 185-80R-13 tires (maxxis). According to their website, inflating them to just 25psi would allow load of 990 lbs each. The table doesn't go lower. And this pressure seems really low. Could this be? We plan on driving cross country. Trailer has brakes, not that it makes a difference I think. Tires are new. Any input on your inflation pressure would be welcome.
25PSI is the MINIMUM TIRE PRESSURE to prevent tire damage with a 990pound load.
It is really low and it can't be true because it isn't!
You don't say, but assuming they are "C" rated tires, run them at 50PSI cold inflation pressure.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Given that the OP is rejecting advice about towing with a Mazda 5, I have no plans to respond to any other queries about trailering.
Nice one Glenn. Could you have made your point better by just not replying

Now, lets be nice again. Lets say I will be towing with an F150. Does that help?
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #6

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
We always run our tires at max, they roll easier......... less fuel to tow, and handle potholes better less sidewall damage. When you pull over, at tea time, just walk around the rig, and put a hand on each tire, if a tire is getting hot it is either overloaded or under inflated.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:11 PM   #7

British Columbia
Thanks Floyd. They are c rated.
Old 03-19-2018, 09:15 PM   #8

British Columbia
Im getting a sense to run them at max which is 50. But wont cold 50 + driving = higher warm pressure. Beyond max? Yhey probably factor that in...
Old 03-19-2018, 09:18 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ahhhh, tire manufacturers know more about their tires than what the tire is being mounted on... what does the side wall say? Do you really think a boler trailer that is loooong out of production can tell you what a new technology tire should be for tire pressure?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #10

British Columbia
Donna, my tires say "max 50 psi at 1650 lbs" or something like that (I'm not there now), so I wanted to know that if 50 psi was for 1650 lbs (or whatever), what would it be for half that which is more like my Boler would weigh. And then give it a margin of error.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:22 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolan krombein View Post
My tires say "max 50 psi at 1650 lbs" or something like that (I'm not there now), so I wanted to know that if 50 psi was for 1650 lbs (or whatever), what would it be for half that which is more like my Boler would weigh. And then give it a margin of error.
Interesting thread but I think you may be "splitting hairs" Nolan. No idea of why you want to run lower pressures because trailers are rolling earth quakes for their ride. Running your tires at half or so of the rated max pressure isn't going to give you any real advantage that I can see. If anything the temps may end up being higher because of sidewall flexing more. Personally, I wouldn't air down more that 5 psi from max stated pressure. There are many Boler owners here that can tell you what they run also. We do have a member here that comes from the tire manufacturing world, hopefully he will chime in for info on your question.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:02 AM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
air in tires

we had been running 50lbs for our 13f scamper around 1,000lbl stuff would be scattered all over the trailer when we stopped. I reduced the pressure to 40lb now things are normal and I think the trailer tows better.

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 AM   #13

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
jon my 95 scamp has a new axle under it. at 50lbs the ride for the trailer is really rough by going to 40 like you did everything much better!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:29 AM   #14

Name: MEX BOB
Trailer: Perris pacer
California
I have a 13 ft Perris Pacer ! No bathroom ! I run my tires at 40lbs ! Happy medium ! Runs smoothly ! Not to hard !
mexbob5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:11 AM   #15

British Columbia
Scientifically (Newton-ally ?!?) speaking...

I have yet to find the size of the contact patch of 185 x 13 tires, but I'm guessing around 50 square inches over the 2 tires. If the trailer weights 1400 lbs, and 200 of that is on the tongue, then 1200 is on the trailer tires. To balance the downward force of 1200 lbs over an area of 50 inches, each inch of the contact patch needs to exert an opposite force of about 24 psi. so thats where we get our minimum pressure in the tire. Add the inertial difference from the suspension and uneven roads, and one wants to add more pressure.

I don't have all the numbers, but 40 sounds like a good compromise between a soft ride and cool tires. But with all things, trial and error esp with an educated starting point, will win the day.

Any tire experts out there to debunk my theory?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Contrary to those who advocate maximum pressure per the side wall,
And those who think that the tires are not part of the suspension system: They are!
You only need enough air to carry the load, to where you can just see a slight bulge in the sidewalls. That way you have full width tread contact on the road, and the ability to deflect when rolling over rocks, curbs, etc.
An over inflated tire is susceptible to breaking the cords inside if it hits a sharp object.
With 900 lb per tire maybe 30 psi would be a good compromise.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Here's a little clarity. At 50 PSI, the tire can carry a 1650 lb load. Or less. But 1650 is the max. You don't need to lower the tire pressure if your load is less.

I normally run my trailer tires at max unless a big bump would launch it. I once had a mobile home axle under a utility trailer, a gross mismatch. I drove over a railroad track one day and saw about a foot of sky under the trailer tires! Those tires were spece'd at 95 PSI. I took them down to 50 and the trailer rode a lot better.

But in a designed trailer like a Boler, Max that Tire Pressure Out, Baby!
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:04 PM   #18

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
And as Wayne says, a large mismatch between tire pressure and trailer weight can lead to issues. They will puncture easier at full pressure. But we are not talking a large mismatch here.
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 02:11 PM   #19

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
Contrary to those who advocate maximum pressure per the side wall,
And those who think that the tires are not part of the suspension system: They are!
You only need enough air to carry the load, to where you can just see a slight bulge in the sidewalls. That way you have full width tread contact on the road, and the ability to deflect when rolling over rocks, curbs, etc.
An over inflated tire is susceptible to breaking the cords inside if it hits a sharp object.
With 900 lb per tire maybe 30 psi would be a good compromise.
I seem to remember the Ford Explorer where lower than tire manufacturer pressures were recommended by Ford. I also remember roll over and deaths as a result.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #20

Name: Bob
Trailer: Scamp
South Dakota
The BEST way to figure the inflation pressure is to load your trailer like you do to go camping and have it weighed, each tire and total and go from there. My 16' Scamp has a factory decal above the wheels that not to inflate the tires beyond 35#. Too high of pressure will cause the tires to bounce and like a previous poster stated tires are part of the suspension.
Stubbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler