tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2012, 08:45 AM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
That law only applies to cars sold in the US not the law in Canada, although a number of car makers offer them. If the car came with them we are even allowed to disable them. Which if they fail one might want to do as they are not cheap to replace - I had to replace one last month and it cost $135 including labour for just one.
Just one more reason for my recent purchase of my 1966 Falcon.
Image sharing the road with a nation full of driver's who have been judged too stupid to check their own tire pressure, by people too stupid to run their own lives. The unmitigated audacity is staggering....Geeesshhh!
BTW, We had a battery failure after less than one year on a TPMS sensor.
Warranty was denied because we had switched to aftermarket wheels.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:13 AM   #22

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Image sharing the road with a nation full of driver's who have been judged too stupid to check their own tire pressure, by people too stupid to run their own lives. The unmitigated audacity is staggering....Geeesshhh!
Floyd just add it to the list of one more reason to move to Canada. Apparently it was dedided that although legal procedings were flying in the US over the Bridgestone tire failure issue (and yes we had the same tires here at the time) the Canadian government felt the tire pressure sensors where not the answer & wouldnt stop it from happening again. Or at least thats what I was told by a few tire folks here.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #23
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
As I recall it was a Ford that started it all.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
The issue is NOT whether or not they sense a low pressure, that I'm sure there will just fine. It's whether or not they will create a leak and thus the increased need to send low pressure information. Thereby creating the exact situation they're supposed to warn of.
They remind of the toddler that drops his class on the floor on purpose then says "oh oh". It doesn't happen all the time but the possibilities are there.

Any nicks or dings on valve stem end are very likely to cause leakage.

Darwin, my point was that air tries to blow apart the seal around the rim of the valve stem, and the sensor defeats air pressure improving the seal of a Schrader Valve.

I imagine they will work properly much of the time, but I think there's just too much opportunity for the sensors to create the problem they're meant to detect.

Automobiles built 2007 and newer all have tire pressure sensing systems, required by law. There's two major places they put the sensors. One inside the valve stem, between the Schrader Valve and the where the stem enters the rim, or attached to the inside of the wheel. In side the tire is where I would the sensor/sender to be located, not on the valve stem.
I simply was answering the original question, is anyone using a TPMS. Not sure why you chose to take exception to my post.

I did follow the mfr's recommendation to install metal valve stems. The monitors seal onto the stems. I am happy with my system. TST is Truck Service Technologies, and their monitors are used on plenty of 18 wheelers, with scads of miles of successful use. If they caused leaks, truckers would not use them.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
uneducated

Quote:
You are sharing the road with a lot of people who don't check their tires,oil level , transmission fluid level , brake fluid level ETC ETC. Most people I know just stick the key in the ignition, start the engine and if the car moves everything is okay, I am not sure they are "stupid" but are probably uneducated on how to maintain a vehicle. There is no requirement that you have to be mechanically knowledgeable about a car to own and drive one.
If I recall correctly the tire monitor system on new cars is part of the CAFE standards (under inflated tires lowers gas mileage) Doesn't it take audacity to call everyone who disagrees with you "STUPID"
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:11 PM   #26

Trailer: Helite
Mike Said: I simply was answering the original question, is anyone using a TPMS. Not sure why you chose to take exception to my post.

The thing Mike is that some people will never embrace progress. If it was not for progress we would still be riding around on horses and be waist deep in manure.
Art VanDelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:07 PM   #27

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
The reality is that TPMS does provide useful information particularly for the portion of the poplulation who don't or can't or won't measure their tire pressures. They do seem to work. They do add to the cost of our vehicles and are an example of government intrusiveness in our lives.

As I've aged I've come to recognize that I can't change many things (or fix anyone) however I can live at peace with what is.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #28

Trailer:
Drifting some way off topic here, but my brand of car (Mini - yeah, laugh now...) has two different forms of flat tyre protection. To sell it in the US it has to have a dedicated TPMS with sensors attached in the wheels.

But in the rest of the world it achieves much the same effect by using the ABS brake sensors - if one tyre is going down, it will lose height and so that wheel will turn faster than the others. It's not very sensitive, needing a 5-10 psi difference to trigger it, but then doing the job using only existing components and a few lines of code in the ECU is a lot cheaper (and more durable?) than adding a dedicated system. My experience with a slow puncture was that the ABS system detected the pressure loss before I could. Full marks for effective lateral thinking by the manufacturer.
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:32 PM   #29

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
One thing that has not been mentioned is that the add on sensor system not only gives you a read out - It Alarms when there is a certain amount of decrease in pressure or a certain amount of increase in heat.

That will give you enough time to find a spot to pull over and check.
That is unless it is a blow out.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 09:11 PM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Doesn't it take audacity to call everyone who disagrees with you "STUPID"
It might if that were even close to what was done,please reread my comment...Slowly this time.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:28 AM   #31
Raz

When I replaced my tires the tire shop did a TPMS service which included new caps. I didn't realize the valve stems we aluminum until corrosion occurred and in trying to remove the new metal caps I cracked the stem. I called several shops who could replace the sensor (stem and sensor is all one piece) but I would have to go to the dealer for programming. It cost $175. I was told to expect to replace the other 3 within two years ( five years from new). If the battery didn't fail the salt used on the roads would cause corrosion failure.

Since the TPMS is part of the safety system it must be working to pass inspection. The original TPMS systems used the speed data from the antilock brake system which was pretty much no maintenance. It apparently was not accurate enough. The new system comes with a rather high price tag that must be paid. Replacing the sensors will cost about the same as replacing the tires and the batteries are just starting to fail more likely than not with the second owner of the vehicle. Something to bear in mind when buying a used car. Raz
Old 10-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #32

Trailer: 1991 17 ft Horizon
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When I replaced my tires the tire shop did a TPMS service which included new caps. I didn't realize the valve stems we aluminum until corrosion occurred and in trying to remove the new metal caps I cracked the stem. I called several shops who could replace the sensor (stem and sensor is all one piece) but I would have to go to the dealer for programming. It cost $175. I was told to expect to replace the other 3 within two years ( five years from new). If the battery didn't fail the salt used on the roads would cause corrosion failure.

Since the TPMS is part of the safety system it must be working to pass inspection. The original TPMS systems used the speed data from the antilock brake system which was pretty much no maintenance. It apparently was not accurate enough. The new system comes with a rather high price tag that must be paid. Replacing the sensors will cost about the same as replacing the tires and the batteries are just starting to fail more likely than not with the second owner of the vehicle. Something to bear in mind when buying a used car. Raz
As far as I know in our state of NY TPMS is not part of the inspection, but its not far away I'm sure. TPMS along with Anti-lock brakes is bad enough, I want to go back to having points again.
Tim Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:30 AM   #33
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
As far as I know in our state of NY TPMS is not part of the inspection, but its not far away I'm sure. TPMS along with Anti-lock brakes is bad enough, I want to go back to having points again.
Be careful. There are some that would like every car to have a crank.

I checked. As of now it appears few states require the TMPS to be working to pass inspection. Here all safety equipment "must be in working order". I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the rest of you catch up.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #34

Trailer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
There are some that would like every car to have a crank.
Heck, no - my Dad shared with his brothers an old Bentley (it was already old by the 1930s when they had it) that had a manual advance/retard lever on the steering wheel. If left unused for less than a day, the cylinder sealing was good enough that flicking the lever from full advance to full retard would probably cause a spark in the one cylinder that was ready to fire, whereupon the engine would turn over enough to start firing on all six.

Not surprisingly, my Dad used to say that any driver who needed an automatic spark advance/retard control wasn't competent enough to have a driving license. The comical side of that was that he had learnt to drive sooo long ago that they hadn't introduced driving tests by then and he got a driving license by going to the post office and buying one......
Andrew Gibbens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:50 AM   #35

Florida
We've found that who you go to for an inspection matters. We do not look to an inspection for the nitpicking, simply want to pass quickly.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've found that who you go to for an inspection matters. Wedo not look to an inspection for the nitpicking.
You live in the "Live Free or Die" state. People travel long distances to New Hampshire so they can ride their motorcycles without a helmet. Do you think you will need to worry about required TPMS?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:23 AM   #37

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned is that the add on sensor system not only gives you a read out - It Alarms when there is a certain amount of decrease in pressure or a certain amount of increase in heat.

That will give you enough time to find a spot to pull over and check.
That is unless it is a blow out.
Trailer systems actually make more sense than TV TPMS. Just this past week I had a friend who tows a small enclosed trailer behind his motorhome. After doing a pretrip checkout he went to the dumpstation. As he returned I flagged him down to inform him of a flat on his trailer which had just occurred. He said he felt or saw no indication.
His trailer is narrower than the MH. An aftermarket trailer system would have caught that and informed him.
Nice feature, but it hardly warrants the heavy hand of a government mandate.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #38

Florida
Live Free or Dies States

Actually the three states with the highest per capita state ownership of motorcycles are all live free or die places, Montana, South Dakota and New Hampshire.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #39

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Actually the three states with the highest per capita state ownership of motorcycles are all live free or die places, Montana, South Dakota and New Hampshire.
LOL no doubt they also have the highest per capita rate of deaths or head injures as a result of that live free or die philosophy as well. What I have always wondered about is who pays to look after someone who is totally incapacitated as a result of a head injury if they don't have their own insurance? That BTW is not meant as a provocative question, simple something I have often wondered about when a see riders without helmets, due to not fully understanding the US system in regards to long term care etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:58 AM   #40

Florida
I believe it's absolutely foolish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Obviously the state pays meaning me and my neighbors.

Fortunately most riders wear helmets, the ones that don't are .......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16