tire pressure monitoring systems - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-04-2012, 06:32 PM   #29

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
One thing that has not been mentioned is that the add on sensor system not only gives you a read out - It Alarms when there is a certain amount of decrease in pressure or a certain amount of increase in heat.

That will give you enough time to find a spot to pull over and check.
That is unless it is a blow out.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:11 PM   #30

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Doesn't it take audacity to call everyone who disagrees with you "STUPID"
It might if that were even close to what was done,please reread my comment...Slowly this time.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:28 AM   #31
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
When I replaced my tires the tire shop did a TPMS service which included new caps. I didn't realize the valve stems we aluminum until corrosion occurred and in trying to remove the new metal caps I cracked the stem. I called several shops who could replace the sensor (stem and sensor is all one piece) but I would have to go to the dealer for programming. It cost $175. I was told to expect to replace the other 3 within two years ( five years from new). If the battery didn't fail the salt used on the roads would cause corrosion failure.

Since the TPMS is part of the safety system it must be working to pass inspection. The original TPMS systems used the speed data from the antilock brake system which was pretty much no maintenance. It apparently was not accurate enough. The new system comes with a rather high price tag that must be paid. Replacing the sensors will cost about the same as replacing the tires and the batteries are just starting to fail more likely than not with the second owner of the vehicle. Something to bear in mind when buying a used car. Raz
Old 10-24-2012, 07:12 AM   #32

Name: Tim
Trailer: Class B for now
NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
When I replaced my tires the tire shop did a TPMS service which included new caps. I didn't realize the valve stems we aluminum until corrosion occurred and in trying to remove the new metal caps I cracked the stem. I called several shops who could replace the sensor (stem and sensor is all one piece) but I would have to go to the dealer for programming. It cost $175. I was told to expect to replace the other 3 within two years ( five years from new). If the battery didn't fail the salt used on the roads would cause corrosion failure.

Since the TPMS is part of the safety system it must be working to pass inspection. The original TPMS systems used the speed data from the antilock brake system which was pretty much no maintenance. It apparently was not accurate enough. The new system comes with a rather high price tag that must be paid. Replacing the sensors will cost about the same as replacing the tires and the batteries are just starting to fail more likely than not with the second owner of the vehicle. Something to bear in mind when buying a used car. Raz
As far as I know in our state of NY TPMS is not part of the inspection, but its not far away I'm sure. TPMS along with Anti-lock brakes is bad enough, I want to go back to having points again.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:30 AM   #33
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wood View Post
As far as I know in our state of NY TPMS is not part of the inspection, but its not far away I'm sure. TPMS along with Anti-lock brakes is bad enough, I want to go back to having points again.
Be careful. There are some that would like every car to have a crank.

I checked. As of now it appears few states require the TMPS to be working to pass inspection. Here all safety equipment "must be in working order". I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the rest of you catch up.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #34

Trailer:
Quote:
There are some that would like every car to have a crank.
Heck, no - my Dad shared with his brothers an old Bentley (it was already old by the 1930s when they had it) that had a manual advance/retard lever on the steering wheel. If left unused for less than a day, the cylinder sealing was good enough that flicking the lever from full advance to full retard would probably cause a spark in the one cylinder that was ready to fire, whereupon the engine would turn over enough to start firing on all six.

Not surprisingly, my Dad used to say that any driver who needed an automatic spark advance/retard control wasn't competent enough to have a driving license. The comical side of that was that he had learnt to drive sooo long ago that they hadn't introduced driving tests by then and he got a driving license by going to the post office and buying one......
Old 10-24-2012, 08:50 AM   #35

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We've found that who you go to for an inspection matters. We do not look to an inspection for the nitpicking, simply want to pass quickly.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 10:06 AM   #36
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
We've found that who you go to for an inspection matters. Wedo not look to an inspection for the nitpicking.
You live in the "Live Free or Die" state. People travel long distances to New Hampshire so they can ride their motorcycles without a helmet. Do you think you will need to worry about required TPMS?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #37

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
One thing that has not been mentioned is that the add on sensor system not only gives you a read out - It Alarms when there is a certain amount of decrease in pressure or a certain amount of increase in heat.

That will give you enough time to find a spot to pull over and check.
That is unless it is a blow out.
Trailer systems actually make more sense than TV TPMS. Just this past week I had a friend who tows a small enclosed trailer behind his motorhome. After doing a pretrip checkout he went to the dumpstation. As he returned I flagged him down to inform him of a flat on his trailer which had just occurred. He said he felt or saw no indication.
His trailer is narrower than the MH. An aftermarket trailer system would have caught that and informed him.
Nice feature, but it hardly warrants the heavy hand of a government mandate.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #38

Florida
Live Free or Dies States

Actually the three states with the highest per capita state ownership of motorcycles are all live free or die places, Montana, South Dakota and New Hampshire.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #39

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Actually the three states with the highest per capita state ownership of motorcycles are all live free or die places, Montana, South Dakota and New Hampshire.
LOL no doubt they also have the highest per capita rate of deaths or head injures as a result of that live free or die philosophy as well. What I have always wondered about is who pays to look after someone who is totally incapacitated as a result of a head injury if they don't have their own insurance? That BTW is not meant as a provocative question, simple something I have often wondered about when a see riders without helmets, due to not fully understanding the US system in regards to long term care etc.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #40

Florida
I believe it's absolutely foolish to ride a motorcycle without a helmet. Obviously the state pays meaning me and my neighbors.

Fortunately most riders wear helmets, the ones that don't are .......

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 10-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #41

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL no doubt they also have the highest per capita rate of deaths or head injures as a result of that live free or die philosophy as well. What I have always wondered about is who pays to look after someone who is totally incapacitated as a result of a head injury if they don't have their own insurance? That BTW is not meant as a provocative question, simple something I have often wondered about when a see riders without helmets, due to not fully understanding the US system in regards to long term care etc.
If they are employed, or have been, then they have insurance, under Social Security disability.
This is insurance for which the individual pays the mandatory premium and has it deducted from wages.
If they have never worked or earned wages,then it would likely be covered by others under a welfare program paid for by some form of Medicaid.
There is no ligitimate principal in law of which I am aware, which would give the government the right to prohibit bad habits or dangerous activity as a requisite to recieving benefits from state funded mandatory programs. Nearly everyone of us knows at least one(or more) person(s) who are on government provided disability due a chronic drug habit or some similar problem.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:16 PM   #42

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Be careful. There are some that would like every car to have a crank.

I checked. As of now it appears few states require the TMPS to be working to pass inspection. Here all safety equipment "must be in working order". I'm sure it's only a matter of time before the rest of you catch up.
Embracing the concept and use of an electric starter does not mean that one must embrace every conceivable device which has been subsequently offered. If you have ever replaced or have ever paid to replace a blend door on a climate control system, then you might begin to eschew the Rube Goldberg school of engineering and feel content with a simpler A/C system which gives good results with a satisfying parsimonious touch.