Tire replacement - Balancing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #1

Trailer: 17.5 ft and 25 ft FB Bigfoot
Tire replacement - Balancing

I need to get new tires for my trailer. I phoned one company and they said most people do not have the tires/wheels balanced for trailers. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Tamid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamid View Post
I need to get new tires for my trailer. I phoned one company and they said most people do not have the tires/wheels balanced for trailers. Is this something I should be concerned about?
It is true , most people do not get trailer tires balanced.
It is true, it is not something to be concerned about.
Get them balanced anyway! If one is way out of balance you will save on wear and improve on smoothness.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have a light weight aluminum ATV trailer that I replaced the tires on last summer.
It was the first trailer tire I thought needed a wheel balanced as I could feel the vibration in my PU.
I took it back and found it was an out of round tire. They apologized, replaced the tire and I did not need to have it balanced.
I personally have never felt the need to balance trailer tires. Some people do.
It's like a lot of things involving travel trailers, if it gives you peace of mind and makes your travel more enjoyable, do it.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
IMHO; wheel/tire balancing on a motor vehicle helps the ride of the vehicle and may hellp prolong tire life. On a trailer though, with no one (supposedly) riding in it, comfort is NOT too much of an issue. Having the wheels/tires not bouncing while rolling down the parkway will probably make for a more comefortable tow (no viberations transferred to the trailer hitch). It would therefor seem benificial to have them balanced. Most tire dealers around here automatically balance wheels/tires as part of a 'new tire sale'.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:57 PM   #5

My quote from Blaskin & Lane is $90 per tire mounted and balanced. That doesn't seem too bad of a price compared to Kal-Tire and Champion Tire.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
I had my new tires balanced when I purchased them. My cabinets no longer fly open, the screws no longer loosen, and "stuff" doesn't jump off the bed anymore.
I was driving alongside a trailer the other day and could see one of his tires bouncing enough that it (the tire) left the highway every bounce. I would imagine it was either not balanced, or it was out of round.
I personally think balancing trailer tires is a good idea to reduce wear an tear on the trailer and suspension.

John
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
anyone not believing in tire balancing should go outside and yank the ones off their car or truck too....let me know how that works out for you...Bruce
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Burro 17 ft / 2001 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
I had to drive around 2000 miles on an unbalanced spare tire when I got a flat on a long trip, I didn't really notice a difference. That said, when I ordered 2 new tires online, I had them balanced. The place I took them to had a fixed price $17, for mounting, balance, valve stem.
ThomasE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:54 PM   #9

One thing I can say is that when parking my unit I use one of those manual tongue trolleys to position it in its parking stall. With the axle re-bent, bearings re-packed, new tires that are balanced it sure rolls easier with less effort.