Tire Valve Recall - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #1

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
It’s Official. Consumer Reports the Tire Valve Recall in the Sep 08 issue.

Models TR-413, 413ch, 414, 415, 418, 423 manufactured between July 2006 and Nov 2006. (All models have the TR- preceding the number)

The model number is on the inside of the tire rim and the tire must be opened to see the model number. They advise to inspect the stems for cracks on the outside and to inspect inside the tire if you have had tire work done after July 2006.

I suggest that if you have to open the tire, just go ahead and replace with the all metal, bolt on stem.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Thanks for the Heads Up!
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Thanks for the Heads Up!
So does this mean only if you had the valve replaced it might be bad? With new tires it should be good?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We were coming home from WV to Ohio, yesterday, on those two lane roads traversed by speeding coal trucks. Fortunately my husband decided to stop at the first service station and check the tires for air. We have a 2007 with the original tires and valve stems. While filling one of the tires he discovered a crack in the valve stem leaking air.

We have been checking on tires to replace the ones from the factory but thought they were new enough that we would be fine until we arrived home. Wrong!!!

Check those stems.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #5

It means that you should check to insure that you do not have the bad one's installed on your tires. If you had the metal ones installed you would know at a glance that your's are OK.

You might want to print the recall list and go back to your tire people to see if they have any of the bad ones in their stock. That might give you some ease of mind should you not find any.

B4 you ask to see what they are using you might want to ask them if they are aware of the recall and find out if they know what to look for. Should they not know, ask if they will install the metal ones for free. You can purchase the metal ones at Advance auto and other parts store.

Me, I'm just going to pull the wheels and take them in to have the metal one's installed and the tires balanced because it's just one other thing I will not have to worry about.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #6

Registry
They said they could check, so I'll run up and let them check. But it says it is replacement valve stems that are the problem.

Bobbie
Old 08-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #7

Quote:
They said they could check, so I'll run up and let them check. But it says it is replacement valve stems that are the problem.

Bobbie
Every time I have had a tire removed from a rim, they replaced the valve and ofcourse, charged me for it.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #8

If they don't know about the recall then they likely have a big box of stems that may or may not be good.

Personally, recall or not, I would have the higher rated stems (usually metal) installed anyway. The automotive-rated stems are just too close at upper limits to trailer tire pressures so any little thing that is wrong may have a large effect.
Old 08-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
If they don't know about the recall then they likely have a big box of stems that may or may not be good.

Personally, recall or not, I would have the higher rated stems (usually metal) installed anyway. The automotive-rated stems are just too close at upper limits to trailer tire pressures so any little thing that is wrong may have a large effect.
Even for my 13' with 35psi max pressure tires?
Old 08-11-2008, 04:58 PM   #10

Registry
Well, the valve stems were fine, they were the all-brass ones. But it was a good thing I went in as the passenger side tire was starting to separate. They pro-rated it so I got a new one on for $22. But the guy thinks my axle might be slightly bent as the driver side tire is getting somewhat uneven wear...I'll have to watch that. It could have been before the leaf spring brackets were fixed or it could be something else. He thought the tire was still fine to use, though.

Also, he said that although the trailer tires were rated for 80psi max, that was with 1200 lbs on each tire. With 500 or 600 per tire he thought 50 was as high as I should go (I'm pretty sure the last guy said 60.)

Bobbie
Old 08-13-2008, 12:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Even for my 13' with 35psi max pressure tires?
Indeed, using a Load Range B tire would be about the only exception, since the TPs stay right down there in the automotive ranges.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:32 PM   #12

This is what I found out about tire valve stem assemblies from my local tire dealer:

1.The metal stems have a tendency to rust out the rim hole in a short period of time (2yrs or so).
2.All his normal car valve stems have the recalled code on them so without knowing when they were manufactured you cannot tell if he has old stock even if he just purchased them.
3.He recommended a High Pressure Truck stem that has the brass all the way through the stem end to end. The normal car stems only have the brass part way.

I installed the high-pressure truck stem and had the tires balanced at the same time.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 PM   #13

Yah! You want to see the actual psi rating for the stem, not just what they are made of -- Hadn't heard about the rim rust problem, so it looks like brass or nickel or SS is the way to go.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...Three new stems installed $10.00ea. Not bad insurance. They were all cracked... installer saved the base(inside of wheel) piece with #'s on it but said "No Recall in Canada" HHHMMMM???
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote