Tire/Wheel question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
Tire/Wheel question

Okay, each time I use the search tool for a quick answer to a simple question, I get too many useless answers, so I'm throwing this one out here. I have a '72 Tote n Tarry which has been sitting for over 15 years in the carport, and I definitely need to put on some new tires before I can get it back on the road. There are the standard 14 inch wheels on it now, but I'd like to just buy some new tire/wheel combos online which aren't much more expensive than just buying the tires alone and having them mounted. Now, can I fit a 15 inch wheel/tire combo in the same space, or will it be too large and rub against something? I also just bought a trailer hitch for our 2008 GMC Sierra which we'll use for the tow vehicle. It's a standard work truck, and no lifted at all, but I'd still like to raise the trailer a bit so it's doesn't look too dorky on the road. Thanks everyone!
Filbert
Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:16 AM   #2

Name: Ron
Trailer: Trillium 13 ft (green grape)
Ontario
You'll have to check the clearance in your wheel wells and see if you have enough clearance, remember the flex in the springs or axel.
Pictures would help.
RRJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
2 thoughts
Tire size does not equate with final diameters, the profile does.
I've shown 3 different 13" tires side by side in this post:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post133630
If original axle, it probably needs replacing. Doing so with stock or a higher down angle will also lift your trailer. Some simply raise the trailer by welding in a spacer between the axle and frame.

Be careful with what you do, some mods make the trailer look dorky all the time. Much worse than looking dorky when being towed.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:29 PM   #4

Thanks!

Thanks for you insight. Stupid me forgot to take in another consideration which is the spare hanging off the back which is also a 14 inch, so I'm going to stick to the stock size the trailer was built with back in 1972 in beautiful Petaluma, CA! I'm not sure how many Tote N Tarrys are left in existence, so I'll keep it as is. The frame is virtually rust free having always been in California, and either garaged or under a carport. So, trailer hitch being installed tomorrow, then on to updating the lighting, new tires and then camping,
Old 02-21-2014, 08:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Filbert, did you buy another Tote 'n Tarry... or are you talking about the one you posted here?: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-28700.html I think the windows are unique!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:48 AM   #6

Old!

Hello Donna! Hey, great memory. It's still the old me and the old trailer. My dad has been gone for 15 years now, and that's how long his trailer has been sitting here with me talking about getting it road worthy again. Back when I was young my parents and I hauled that thing all through Alaska, the Alaska Hwy where the tongue broke in half, and all through Mexico, where dad backed it into a palm tree. We'll we finally have a truck, the trailer hitch should arrive today, we'll change out the tire/wheels, and then work on the lights. I'll probably just keep the original lights, as the lenses are all in like new condition and original. Once complete, then we can take it to one of the local campgrounds for a test drive! And yes, I think we have the only trailer with yacht portholes. Filbert