Tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Tires

I have a 2006 scamp that has the original tires. I need advice on what size tire to get. I am all confused about 13 vs 14 inch tires, and ST vs D tires.

There was a different set of tires, and the originals were hardly used, and now they have been put back on the trailer. Supposedly, the pair that were on was 14, and now it's back to 13 inch tires. I want to be as safe as possible on towing, and don't want to use older tires.

If you could be specific and tell me the number of the tire and any recommendations on where to buy them online, I could use the help.

Thanks,

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth G View Post
I have a 2006 scamp that has the original tires. I need advice on what size tire to get. I am all confused about 13 vs 14 inch tires, and ST vs D tires.

There was a different set of tires, and the originals were hardly used, and now they have been put back on the trailer. Supposedly, the pair that were on was 14, and now it's back to 13 inch tires. I want to be as safe as possible on towing, and don't want to use older tires.

If you could be specific and tell me the number of the tire and any recommendations on where to buy them online, I could use the help.

Thanks,

Ruth
First ... be specific as to which Scamp and with what options.
"ST" is the designation for trailer specific tires.
"D" could be the designation for "load range", but it could also be the designation for "Bias Ply".
Example "ST205/75D14" would indicate a "BiasPly" tire.
"ST205/75R14" would indicate a "RadialPly"tire.
Load range is designated elsewhere , some times at the end of the size, but more often stated directly as "(Load range C)" or "(load range D)" spelled out on the sidewall.
While larger wheel size usually indicates a larger diameter tire and usually a higher load capacity. This is not always true. What's best for your application involves factors such as speed, trailer weight, etc.
Wheel size really only becomes a factor once the appropriate tire size is determined.(Tire must fit the rim)
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:38 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ruth, Standard tires on both the Scamp 13 and 16 are 13 inch tires. Many users have upgarded to 14 inch tires for increased load capacity.

Changing from 13 inch tires to 14 inch tires requiring changing rim sizes.

Most trailer tires have the designation ST. ST stands for Special Trailer and are designed to be used only on trailers. This rating limits trailer speeds to 65 miles per hour.

Usually 13 inch ST tires come in two sizes ST175/80R13 and ST185/80R13. The ST175is capable of carrying a load of 1360 (2 tires 2720 lbs) and the ST185 is capable of carrying a load of 1480 lbs (2 tires 2960 lbs). These load capacities are defined at a tire air pressure of 50 psi.

Like 13 inch tires, 14 inch tires ST tires come in different sizes and correspondingly higher load capabilities, upto 1870 lbs (2 tires 3740 lbs).

Remember larger tires require larger rims and may require minor fiberglass modification.

As Floyd said the size Scamp is important to know because it helps us define the weight of your trailer. If you have a Scamp 13 any of these tires should be adequate.

I have a Scamp 16 that weighs 2400 lbs and I use Goodyear Marathons, size ST185/80R13. I have been using these tires for 5 years without any issues.

Hope this helps and please let us know the length of your trailer. I bought my tires at Discount Tires. 5f you buy your tires locally you can also have them grease your wheel bearings while there.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:40 AM   #4

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Tires still looking

Thanks for the continuing advice.

I just bought a 2006 16 foot side dinette scamp, deluxe. The previous owners had put on ST205/75R14 tires. They had enlarged the wheel well a little.

I tend to be a pack rat, and want to get a tire capable of a heavier weight. It currently has the original factory tires. My plan is to get the 14 inch tires. I have the rims for the fourteen inch, so just need to buy the tires, and have them put on the rims, and then have it balanced.

Marathon tires? Or kenda tires? Or??

I probably will buy them on the Internet, and have a local company put them on. I doubt whether I can find the tires in stock locally.

Thanks for the help

Ruth
Ruth G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Tire option

On the S-19's a lot of people upgrade to the Kumho ST tires from Tire Rack. I have not been able to find them locally. The Maxxis ST 8008 is available locally in Va. and they have given me good service and are about $20 less expensive than the Kumhos. I order the 6 ply tires which usually take an extra day to get.
M8008 ST Radial
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires