Tires - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #61

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I have a question for you... Did you copy&paste that quote from the PDF,or did you read it and type it? For some reason I can never Copy/Paste from a PDF and I sure would like to know if/how it is possible.
I do it all the time Floyd, but I have Acrobat Pro. Copy and paste into Notepad first before tying to paste into another application. Don't know if the same rules apply with Reader...

SOME PDFs you can't copy and paste from because they're not text based but graphics based... there has to be something to hang on to...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #62

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I have a question for you... Did you copy&paste that quote from the PDF,or did you read it and type it? For some reason I can never Copy/Paste from a PDF and I sure would like to know if/how it is possible.
It depends Floyd if the PDF is a separate document or are trying to cut in past it off the web?

In Adobe Reader, click on the SELECT tool in the toolbar to change your cursor. In most PDF's, you can select text to cut and paste by using this. The is assuming the party who generated it didnt protect it to prevent you from doing so.

If on the web you should be able to just highlight and copy it but again if the webpage has been protected you may not be able to. If there is an option to download the PDF if you do so and then open it in Adobe you may get away with using the SELECT tool as above to copy.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #63

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
Carol,
not to put too fine a point on it, but for you to say these tires failed because they had weather cracking, is actually incorrect. If you read good years service bulletin, they actually have a measurement for tire cracking ( sometimes called weather cracking ) and in that spec, there is a limit below which it is not considered a reason to take the tire out of service.
LOL George trust me it was a lot more than weather cracking! The tires were separating right apart between the treads. In both cases it was very visible from where I was standing about 12' away while pumping gas into the tug. Nothing like weather cracking you commonly see on side walls. I have no doubt that even the most frugal amongst us would have agreed on seeing it that in both cases the tire was done and not felt good about going any further than the nearest tire shop with it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:14 PM   #64

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
And for anyone who thinks it is incorrect to use LT tires on a trailer, then I would suggest you research good year g614 tires. They are a LT tire that good year reccommends for trailer use.
When I bought the Carlisle trailer tires for my boler American, I was surprised to see the LT designation on the tires. My initial thoughts that they were used on those little 3 wheeled trucks you see in pictures of India.

I wonder how these white walls would work on our trailers? They look kewl ...
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #65

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
You guy's are really into this happy travels .

Welcome to the modern version of the old General Store's gatherings around the pot bellied stove, Grasshopper...

Those being long gone, forums like this are where we geezers of both sexes now gather and argue interminably about minutiae. The discussion usually ends in a draw due to one/all of us forgetting what we were talking about.

Watch. Listen. Learn.

And remember: Some day you'll be one of us!

Francesca
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:57 AM   #66

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
The discussion usually ends in a draw due to one/all of us forgetting what we were talking about. ------------- Francesca

Many times I have to check the first post to see what we were talking about.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #67

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
- 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire, regardless of mileage.
– Maintain air pressure at the maximum PSI recommended on the tire sidewall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
What the first item tells me is that I should not take the second item seriously.
Quote:
You lost me Brian, I don't initially see any corelation.
Sorry, apparently that was too cryptic...

A company which makes tires which disintegrate in 3 to 5 years may be building junk, and one that states this lifespan may be providing "information" for the purpose of increasing sales; in either case, they lose all credibility with me in the process.

The statement about maximum pressure is simplistic and based on the assumption that all trailer installations use the smallest possible tire... which may be true for most Carlisle customers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:07 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do have to wonder, would car tires have the same 5 year recommended life too. I don't think I have ever had a vehicle that went more than 2 or 3 years without requiring the tires to be changed.
On the other hand, the only vehicle I have ever had which required a tire replacement in as little as three years was used in competition (racing). Tire life depends on many factors.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #69

Quote:
Quote:
– An "LT" designation, when shown on a trailer tire size specifies load range only, it is not designed for use on light trucks.
– ST tires generally offer approximately 10% percent more load capacity than a similar LT tire and nearly 40% more than a P passenger tire.
What I don't know in the last quote is where the LT refers to truck tires or trailer tires.
I believe that it refers to the tire design standard, so in this case to LT tires in trailer (or any other) service; they are referring to load capacity for the same size and perhaps inflation pressure... although with Carlisle it could also hide an assumption of higher inflation pressure for ST and LT.

In the first point, Carlisle is saying that the "LT" in the designation of their LT-standard trailer tires means that the tire follows TRA's LT standards, not that it is actually intended by Carlisle for light truck use. The 12" (145R12) size of their current radial trailer tire line is actually an LT (not ST) tire, even though it is only for trailer use and the rest of the sizes are ST.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #70

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
OK I posted to soon earlier. LOL.

I would really like someone to explain what the difference is in construction of different brands of ST Tires.

I just replaced my nine year old tires more because they were on my mind a lot. When my service guy looked them over he really could not see any reason to change them same as my tire guy.

But for piece of mind I changed them.

I had Goodyear Marathon now have Hercules both are radial and yes I'm one of those guy's that run max. pressure as the sidewalls carry the load.

Other than tire ratings does anyone know about difference in construction.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #71

Registry
Quote:
We're awfully glad you asked, Grasshopper- this oughta be good for another fifteen or twenty pages!

Here's a link to one page worth reading, with some differences enumerated. It's pretty good stuff, or will be until everybody gets back from the Early Bird Special down at the Senior Center...

Francesca
Old 05-07-2013, 08:28 PM   #72

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Thanks Brian for clarifying things.

Francesca,
I'm not old enough to qualify for membership at the seniors center. It is intersting to note that every time I read that page, something else pops out at me that I missed before. There is a lot of info packed into it.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:05 PM   #73

Quote:
... AFAIK Michelin doesn't sell trailer tires(at least not in the U.S.)...
Michelin does not - as far as I know and according to Michelin Canada a few years ago - make any ST tires. They do, however, make tires in Europe where the ST (and LT, and P) standard is not used - they may make trailer tires there. More relevant to the U.S., they are a major manufacturer of tires for all positions - including specifically trailer service - in commercial applications; they may be the world leader. Look at the tires on an 18-wheeler on the road anywhere in North America, and there's a good chance that they are Michelins... including on the trailer.

If there is something to be known about tires of any kind, for any application, it is likely that Michelin knows it... and there is a good chance that they invented it. If I must blindly believe either Carlisle or Michelin based only on the source, I would certainly go with Michelin.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:11 PM   #74

Quote:
I would really like someone to explain what the difference is in construction of different brands of ST Tires.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
We're awfully glad you asked, Grasshopper- this oughta be good for another fifteen or twenty pages!

Here's a link to one page worth reading, with some differences enumerated.
The linked page describes Carlisle's view of the differences between ST tires and LT and P tires; however, I believe that Daniel asked about the difference between "different brands of ST Tires"... an entirely different question.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:26 PM   #75

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Yes Brian I want someone to explain the difference in ST Tires not one manufactures view.

With all the different brands that can be talked about based on ratings, what is the difference in manufacturing process that makes one better?

Does anyone know?

My tire guy's tell me they are all similar.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Yes Brian I want someone to explain the difference in ST Tires not one manufactures view.

With all the different brands that can be talked about based on ratings, what is the difference in manufacturing process that makes one better?

Does anyone know?

My tire guy's tell me they are all similar.

Differentiating "quality" between brands among tire types has been a consumer problem for many years. In an effort to address that problem, at least for passenger car owners, the UTQG rating system has been established. It goes a long way towards providing specific information as to how the tire itself can be expected to perform under specific conditions and since it's based on actual testing of the tire it can be considered fairly reliable.

Unfortunately neither ST's nor LT's are subject to UTQG testing/rules of labeling. (Some other "special purpose" tires are also exempt) This means that the average trailer toter is left to make decisions based on opinions and perhaps experience.

In my view it's important to understand the basic differences in form/function of such special purpose tires if one's to make a reasonably informed decision, hence the utility of posting links/explanations of such differences.

NOTE:
For the "faith-based" few referred to above who are cautioned to listen only to The Church of Michelin, I hereby request the posting of any/all Michelin publications on the subject of which (U.S.A.-available) tires to put on a trailer.

After understanding of function is achieved, decisions as to brand are best made according to the recommendations of experienced professionals. In my case I've been buying tires for vehicles from cars to pickups to tractors to heavy equipment from the same vendor for many years. I trust their judgement and have learned to rely on their recommendations.

Since you refer to your "tire man", it sounds as if you're lucky/wise enough to have a similar relationship. His statement that "they're all the same" notwithstanding, if he's someone whose judgement you've learned to trust you would do well to ask him for specific recommendations, and follow them.

Good luck!

Francesca
Old 05-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #77

Quote:
IFor the "faith-based" few referred to above who are cautioned to listen only to The Church of Michelin, I hereby request the posting of any/all Michelin publications on the subject of which (U.S.A.-available) tires to put on a trailer.
Technical decisions should never be about faith. Information sources must be considered, and some are more authoritative than others, but none should be believed blindly... especially ones with relatively little demonstrated competence or experience.

When I last asked Michelin Canada, they did not offer a tire specifically for the light trailer market.

When I looked at the tires on the smaller trailers (meaning big trailers by our standards) of teams in the Bridgestone/Firestone sponsored Indy Car series at a race - years ago - they were split between Maxxis M8008 and Bridgestone LT tires... and I note that Bridgestone/Firestone did not offer ST tires.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #78

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Technical decisions should never be about faith. Information sources must be considered, and some are more authoritative than others, but none should be believed blindly... especially ones with relatively little demonstrated competence or experience.

When I last asked Michelin Canada, they did not offer a tire specifically for the light trailer market.

When I looked at the tires on the smaller trailers (meaning big trailers by our standards) of teams in the Bridgestone/Firestone sponsored Indy Car series at a race - years ago - they were split between Maxxis M8008 and Bridgestone LT tires... and I note that Bridgestone/Firestone did not offer ST tires.
I dealt with most of the major tire companies in my engineering career and Michelin was, hands down, the most technologically competent.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Since you refer to your "tire man", it sounds as if you're lucky/wise enough to have a similar relationship. His statement that "they're all the same" notwithstanding, if he's someone whose judgement you've learned to trust you would do well to ask him for specific recommendations, and follow them.
To learn to trust someone, you would need to see their advice proven correct. It is unlikely that the average person ever objectively assesses the advice which they receive (Do you buy the recommended tires and the not recommended one, use both equally, and compare performance? I didn't think so), so the "tire man" is just the same guy you go back to, presumably getting similar advice, which may always be right, or may always be wrong, or might be random.

Experience and expertise should not be confused.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #80

Registry

Much better to rely on the overwhelmingly undersubstantiated opinions of Anonymous Forum Participants, eh?

The twenty-first century version of Tent Evangelism...

Thanks for preach- er- posting!

Francesca

Tags
tires