Tires - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel A. View Post
Other than tire ratings does anyone know about difference in construction.
We're awfully glad you asked, Grasshopper- this oughta be good for another fifteen or twenty pages!

Here's a link to one page worth reading, with some differences enumerated. It's pretty good stuff, or will be until everybody gets back from the Early Bird Special down at the Senior Center...

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #72

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Thanks Brian for clarifying things.

Francesca,
I'm not old enough to qualify for membership at the seniors center. It is intersting to note that every time I read that page, something else pops out at me that I missed before. There is a lot of info packed into it.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #73

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
... AFAIK Michelin doesn't sell trailer tires(at least not in the U.S.)...
Michelin does not - as far as I know and according to Michelin Canada a few years ago - make any ST tires. They do, however, make tires in Europe where the ST (and LT, and P) standard is not used - they may make trailer tires there. More relevant to the U.S., they are a major manufacturer of tires for all positions - including specifically trailer service - in commercial applications; they may be the world leader. Look at the tires on an 18-wheeler on the road anywhere in North America, and there's a good chance that they are Michelins... including on the trailer.

If there is something to be known about tires of any kind, for any application, it is likely that Michelin knows it... and there is a good chance that they invented it. If I must blindly believe either Carlisle or Michelin based only on the source, I would certainly go with Michelin.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #74

Alberta
Quote:
I would really like someone to explain what the difference is in construction of different brands of ST Tires.
Other than tire ratings does anyone know about difference in construction.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
We're awfully glad you asked, Grasshopper- this oughta be good for another fifteen or twenty pages!

Here's a link to one page worth reading, with some differences enumerated.
The linked page describes Carlisle's view of the differences between ST tires and LT and P tires; however, I believe that Daniel asked about the difference between "different brands of ST Tires"... an entirely different question.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #75

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Yes Brian I want someone to explain the difference in ST Tires not one manufactures view.

With all the different brands that can be talked about based on ratings, what is the difference in manufacturing process that makes one better?

Does anyone know?

My tire guy's tell me they are all similar.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:59 PM   #76

Registry
Quote:
Yes Brian I want someone to explain the difference in ST Tires not one manufactures view.

With all the different brands that can be talked about based on ratings, what is the difference in manufacturing process that makes one better?

Does anyone know?

My tire guy's tell me they are all similar.

Differentiating "quality" between brands among tire types has been a consumer problem for many years. In an effort to address that problem, at least for passenger car owners, the UTQG rating system has been established. It goes a long way towards providing specific information as to how the tire itself can be expected to perform under specific conditions and since it's based on actual testing of the tire it can be considered fairly reliable.

Unfortunately neither ST's nor LT's are subject to UTQG testing/rules of labeling. (Some other "special purpose" tires are also exempt) This means that the average trailer toter is left to make decisions based on opinions and perhaps experience.

In my view it's important to understand the basic differences in form/function of such special purpose tires if one's to make a reasonably informed decision, hence the utility of posting links/explanations of such differences.

NOTE:
For the "faith-based" few referred to above who are cautioned to listen only to The Church of Michelin, I hereby request the posting of any/all Michelin publications on the subject of which (U.S.A.-available) tires to put on a trailer.

After understanding of function is achieved, decisions as to brand are best made according to the recommendations of experienced professionals. In my case I've been buying tires for vehicles from cars to pickups to tractors to heavy equipment from the same vendor for many years. I trust their judgement and have learned to rely on their recommendations.

Since you refer to your "tire man", it sounds as if you're lucky/wise enough to have a similar relationship. His statement that "they're all the same" notwithstanding, if he's someone whose judgement you've learned to trust you would do well to ask him for specific recommendations, and follow them.

Good luck!

Francesca
Old 05-08-2013, 01:57 PM   #77

Alberta
Quote:
IFor the "faith-based" few referred to above who are cautioned to listen only to The Church of Michelin, I hereby request the posting of any/all Michelin publications on the subject of which (U.S.A.-available) tires to put on a trailer.
Technical decisions should never be about faith. Information sources must be considered, and some are more authoritative than others, but none should be believed blindly... especially ones with relatively little demonstrated competence or experience.

When I last asked Michelin Canada, they did not offer a tire specifically for the light trailer market.

When I looked at the tires on the smaller trailers (meaning big trailers by our standards) of teams in the Bridgestone/Firestone sponsored Indy Car series at a race - years ago - they were split between Maxxis M8008 and Bridgestone LT tires... and I note that Bridgestone/Firestone did not offer ST tires.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #78

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Technical decisions should never be about faith. Information sources must be considered, and some are more authoritative than others, but none should be believed blindly... especially ones with relatively little demonstrated competence or experience.

When I last asked Michelin Canada, they did not offer a tire specifically for the light trailer market.

When I looked at the tires on the smaller trailers (meaning big trailers by our standards) of teams in the Bridgestone/Firestone sponsored Indy Car series at a race - years ago - they were split between Maxxis M8008 and Bridgestone LT tires... and I note that Bridgestone/Firestone did not offer ST tires.
I dealt with most of the major tire companies in my engineering career and Michelin was, hands down, the most technologically competent.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:06 PM   #79

Alberta
Quote:
Since you refer to your "tire man", it sounds as if you're lucky/wise enough to have a similar relationship. His statement that "they're all the same" notwithstanding, if he's someone whose judgement you've learned to trust you would do well to ask him for specific recommendations, and follow them.
To learn to trust someone, you would need to see their advice proven correct. It is unlikely that the average person ever objectively assesses the advice which they receive (Do you buy the recommended tires and the not recommended one, use both equally, and compare performance? I didn't think so), so the "tire man" is just the same guy you go back to, presumably getting similar advice, which may always be right, or may always be wrong, or might be random.

Experience and expertise should not be confused.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #80

Registry

Much better to rely on the overwhelmingly undersubstantiated opinions of Anonymous Forum Participants, eh?

The twenty-first century version of Tent Evangelism...

Thanks for preach- er- posting!

Francesca
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #81

Alberta
Quote:
In my view it's important to understand the basic differences in form/function of such special purpose tires if one's to make a reasonably informed decision, hence the utility of posting links/explanations of such differences.
I agree... I was only commenting on the desire of another member to compare between brands within a tire type.

Quote:
After understanding of function is achieved, decisions as to brand are best made according to the recommendations of experienced professionals.
Sure, if those professionals are unbiased. Unfortunately, tire retailers usually carry a limited selection of brands, and will understandably tend to recommend the brands which they carry, or even those which they have in stock or sell most profitably.

Don't you find it strange that the very best tire for your vehicle just happens to be the one sold by The Tire Guy?
Old 05-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #82

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Sooooooo, most of you don't trust the people who designed your trailers? Or do the rules you follow for your car and truck get thrown out when applied to the trailer?
[/soap box]

I had some mandatory training on tyres in part because of some wheels coming off cars going down the hiway. This was back when I work for Wally World tyre center. At that time the manufactures the guy represented recommended useful life of tyres is about 6 years. This was directed towards cars and SUVs, but could be applied towards trailers.

So I researched my tyres, weight of my trailer, and decided the trailer's recommended pressure is correct for the load I carry. I will replace them at about 6 years based on the tyre manufactures recommendation. Also I understand the wear caused by under and over inflation, as required of my job.

Interesting side note; look at the tyre label on a pre 2004 VW or Audi. They will list tyre size and inflation pressure based on speed and load. Touaregs continued to have this label for several more years.

Jason
Old 05-08-2013, 04:11 PM   #83

Registry
I run vehicle-manufacturer recommended tires on everything I own, and that includes the 21st century equivalent of the original tires recommended by my trailer's maker.

And I refuse to shop "tire manufacturer specific", which would include doing business with any tire vendor limited to a single brand. The "tire man" I do business with is Les Schwab, whose golden reputation all over the West can in my opinion be relied upon as a first cut in making tire decisions. Les Schwab sells many brands, but it doesn't sell products whose poor performance is likely to result in a whole bunch of customers having to seek recourse in its very liberal guarantees of satisfaction.

And as the second cut, the excellent training/supervision of their employees and their well-founded advice has been 100% dependable, especially here at the Port Townsend store where I've been buying tires since 1980.

Francesca
Old 05-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #84

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I run vehicle-manufacturer recommended tires on everything I own, and that includes the 21st century equivalent of the original tires recommended by my trailer's maker.

And I refuse to shop "tire manufacturer specific", which would include doing business with any tire vendor limited to a single brand. The "tire man" I do business with is Les Schwab, whose golden reputation all over the West can in my opinion be relied upon as a first cut in making tire decisions. Les Schwab sells many brands, but it doesn't sell products whose poor performance is likely to result in a whole bunch of customers having to seek recourse in its very liberal guarantees of satisfaction.

And as the second cut, the excellent training/supervision of their employees and their well-founded advice has been 100% dependable, especially here at the Port Townsend store where I've been buying tires since 1980.

Francesca
OEM tires are generally an adequate and safe option.
However...I NEVER run vehicle-manufacturer recommended replacement tires on anything I own. I shop all available options and choose from what will work best for my use.
In fact... my present truck and car each got replacement tires on the day they were purchased new.
This is not so much a safety issue as it is a performance issue.
On my Scamp for example I chose to replace the demonstrably adequate "B" rated Marathons with "C" rated Carlisle radials just for the added margin of capacity and longevity.

Tags
tires