TIRES, HOW MUCH AIR? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 09:30 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I am wondering how much air you all usually have in your tires. I have a 16 ft Casita, and will be putting air in tomorrow.
Thanks

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I put in what it says on the sidewall. I'm running 15" Marathons... 50 psi cold.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
I have 15" 225/75R15 Goodyear Marathon tires on 2 axles Bigfoot 21RB trailer. Tires print shows 50 PSI pressure for full load on the sidewall. The Bigfoot's information sheet in the closet states 32 PSI recommended inflation pressure. With additional weight of generator I increased the pressure to 35 PSI. I would look for Casita data sheet.

George.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0942.JPG   DSC_0949.JPG  

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:20 PM   #4

thanks, I put in 50 psi but will check the sidewall also

Old 06-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #5

I can not find a PSI rating on the tires.
I think next I will have to get new tires. One of these looks like it may be the origional, that would make it a 9 yr old tire. Yikes?! The other tire is only 2 yrs old.
I do not see a PSI rating on either make of tire.

Old 06-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's in little tiny type next to the size of the tire. I've found, my tires wear badly and quickly when I run at lower PSI, usually on the outside... like the tire is trying to run on the edge of the side wall. But obviously it works for some. My trailer is also heavier due to the all wood interior. I usually travel at freeway speed... at whatever the trucks are running. The axle is a 3500#. I think all these things should be taken into account. I know those that run "offroad" find it's easier on the trailer with a softer tire.... like some of the roads in Alaska!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1994 Lite House
are the tires mounted back wards? feel the back of the tire and see if there are some letters. you should have a dot stamp date and psi on there. also some people increase the load rating in the tire more than what the factory specs sheet says. i personally run a lot of pressure to keep the bouncy down. too little air and it will fight against the leafs or torsion and will create a bounce. for instance if my tires are rated to 50 psi i run at 43 to 45 cold and adjust after a few trips.. bad uneven wear let out air to bouncy add air. on a side note when i hit dirt roads i let out a ton of air to soften the ride. i would get new tires.
curtis c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

I go by usage.

I run my tires at 35psi. After a few miles, I stop and FEEL the tires, sidewall and tread. If they are normal, then they do not need more air. If they are warm, probably ok but I watch them. If they are hot, they need more psi up to the tire max, 50psi.

One advantage of spoke wheels, is I can also feel the brake drums. Again, hot is bad.

After a few miles you can go by wear. If the center of the tread is worn, too much pressure. If the shoulders are worn, too little pressure. If only one shoulder is worn, misalignment.

http://www.carlisletire.com/product_care/t...r_tires_101.pdf

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #9

Thanks everyone. I FOUND IT! yep, it is 50 PSI
IT IS A 205 75R 14
I called tires plus and they can order them in for me. I think I will put the 2 yr tire as a spare and get two new tires to be safe.
Thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #10

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Interesting information from searching Goodyear Marathon site:

"… Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by the trailer manufacturer. The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer….."

See fourth bullet on http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marat...nfo_032806.pdf

George.

GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:08 AM   #11

Trailer: 2000 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
I have a 16' Casita. Tires are Kuhmo Radial 857, size 205R14C (do I vaguely recall load range D?)
Max load cold is 65 psi
I run them at 60 psi, hoping for a smoother ride but probably negligible effect, if the truth be known.
It makes me happier, although one trailer manufacturer once told me to run tire pressure at the max load specified on the tire.
But, who really knos for sure?

Tire pressure is printed in raised letters right on the sidewall
John Hussey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: John Hussey... Just like leaving room for dessert, I always run slightly less, up tp 5 psi, than the max. cold tire pressure. This leaves a little room for expansion; (that's why mens belts have so many holes also)!!!
Check tires often, add or subtract some air if necessary, and you have done what you can do!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. the important word here is MAXIMUM... like speed limits, over is not good!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Owners of more recent manufacture trailers should have a placard specifying their trailer maximum gross weight and tire inflation specs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	VIN_Sticker_VinBlurred.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	21052
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires