Tires rubbing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2006, 02:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 1974 Ventura
Had a closer look at the wheel well on the left side. There is evidence of the tire rubbing on the wheel well. I don't know if it was already there from the previous owner. The new tires have already been installed. The right side shows nothing. Hmmm. One other thing I noticed is the clearance of the left side is say only about three inches whereas the right side it is a couple of inches more. I could ask the tire place that I had them installed and ask his opinion.

Right now I am trying to get rid of some of the bugs before I embark on my trip. I can see already how easily it is so spend lots of money on things. Money is an issue because I don't want to run out of money before I go on holidays.
bonnie w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:00 AM   #2

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
Quote:
Had a closer look at the wheel well on the left side. There is evidence of the tire rubbing on the wheel well. I don't know if it was already there from the previous owner. The new tires have already been installed. The right side shows nothing. Hmmm. One other thing I noticed is the clearance of the left side is say only about three inches whereas the right side it is a couple of inches more. I could ask the tire place that I had them installed and ask his opinion.

Right now I am trying to get rid of some of the bugs before I embark on my trip. I can see already how easily it is so spend lots of money on things. Money is an issue because I don't want to run out of money before I go on holidays.
This is typical. You most probably need a new axel. This is described in the new Trillium US Web site under "
Do you need an axle replacement?" : http://www.trilliumrv.com/Service.htm . It is lower on the left side as this is the "heavy side", it carries more weight than the right side : fridge, heater etc...
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:54 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Presuming this is a torsion axle and the correct tires of appropriate diameter are installed, I agree with Normand -- Sounds like the tire is rubbing when the suspension hits a bump because the internal rubber is weakened (and can't be replaced; the entire axle will need replacement).

Dexter's literature calls for three full inches of "bump clearance" between the tire and top of fenderwell -- The rule of thumb is a closed fist stuffed in there.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 06:40 AM   #4
Suz

Trailer: 1989 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Bonnie, I had the very same thing happen.

When I got my '89 Casita, I put on 14" tires because it seemed that others did it with no problem. What I discovered was that my trailer sat a little more forward on the frame than others. And, yes, one side was a little closer than the other. I removed those tires and went with a wider 13". Later when I had my axle replaced I put on 14" tires thinking that the two inches I raised it would take care of it. Although it did help, I found that after a long trip, I still had a few rub marks on the side that was closer. So, yes, the new axle helped some, but not quite enough. I eventually had it raised two more inches and it did the trick.

I say all this NOT because I think you need to get an new axle. Obviously, a new axle didn't completely solve the problem. For whatever reason, a few of our trailers just sit slightly off center from the axle. I think mine might be because it was built with a "leading" axle, rather than trailing.

Two questions: What size tire do you have on there now? Do you have a trailing or leading axle. In other words, is the hub in front or in back of the axle. Assuming of course, you have this type of axle.

If you have 14" tires, the least expensive way would be to go back to 13" tires. Be aware, that you can special order wider 13" tires. That's what I did and they were much better.

Hope this helps.
Suz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Bonnie, I had the very same thing happen.

When I got my '89 Casita, I put on 14" tires because it seemed that others did it with no problem. What I discovered was that my trailer sat a little more forward on the frame than others. And, yes, one side was a little closer than the other. I removed those tires and went with a wider 13". Later when I had my axle replaced I put on 14" tires thinking that the two inches I raised it would take care of it. Although it did help, I found that after a long trip, I still had a few rub marks on the side that was closer. So, yes, the new axle helped some, but not quite enough. I eventually had it raised two more inches and it did the trick.

I say all this NOT because I think you need to get an new axle. Obviously, a new axle didn't completely solve the problem. For whatever reason, a few of our trailers just sit slightly off center from the axle. I think mine might be because it was built with a "leading" axle, rather than trailing.

Two questions: What size tire do you have on there now? Do you have a trailing or leading axle. In other words, is the hub in front or in back of the axle. Assuming of course, you have this type of axle.

If you have 14" tires, the least expensive way would be to go back to 13" tires. Be aware, that you can special order wider 13" tires. That's what I did and they were much better.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-11-2006, 11:57 AM   #6

Ok here's the scoop. When the man helping me when the trailer came off the hitch did that little test trick when he hooked it up again. He jacked the hitch up which raised the truck rear end and then jumped on the bumper of my truck. Pop, off the hitch came. So the mechanism is hooped that holds the ball in there. The mechanic took off the coupling and cut it back somewhat and welded the new one on. A two inch ball has been exchanged for the 1 7/8.

The mechanic agreed about the clearance on the tire to the wheel well. (more clearance on right side?. So the mechanic changed the tire size from 175x80 - 13inch to 175x70. The total bill was $152 which I am very satisfied with thought it would be much more. He also grounded the wiring to the tail lights so brake lights and turn signals are all working.

For everyone who tells me that I don't need to hook up the electric brakes there are just as many who say I should. I am going to get them hooked up when I go down to Courtenay. I also need to check the fridge out and put it on propane. Getting there anyway. By the way the mechanic said that the axle is just fine. Thank you for all your replies feel much less alone with my problems and making them feel not so catastrophic.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:31 AM   #7
Suz

Registry
Bonnie, I'm really glad you got it all worked out and for (what seems to me) a fair price. I don't think you will ever regret hooking up your brakes. Once you learn how to adjust them, it will become second nature and a definite plus.

I know what you mean about catastrophic. Sometimes (especially in the beginning) some of it can be seem overwhelming. I had so many things to correct in the beginning, I really wondered if I could handle it. Especially some of those times when I had to twist my not-a-teenager's body up like a pretzel in order to reach some of the areas. As time goes by, though, it becomes less daunting and REALLY enjoyable.
Old 08-12-2006, 05:09 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I see that I made an unwarranted assumption about the tire rubbing on the fender well -- I assumed it was rubbing on the inside TOP of the well, which would mean the tire was too tall or the axle rubber was sagging.

However, I see other folks assumed the tire is rubbing on the SIDE of the fender well, in which case it's not the axle, but a tire too wide, a rim with the wrong offset or a problem with the original installation of the axle on the frame. If the tire is indeed the correct size, then a change of rim to one with a slightly larger offset away from the rub should fix the problem.

If the coupler was "hooped", then it needed replacement and a 2" ball seems to be the growing standard now for small RV trailers (eggs and popups alike).
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
Suz

Registry
Mine actually made a mark on the inside back of one side only. It was where the wheel well rounded from the back to the side. It didn't rub all the time because it took a long trip before it happened -- which I assumed was of a rut or pothole I hit. Since her description sounded like what mine did, and it was only on one side, well, I just assumed that it was the tire and not the axle. But you're right ... I did assume.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:12 AM   #10

Trailer: 84 16 ft Scamp
Would it be possible that you ran over a stick or tree branch that got stuck into the wheel well and scraped the tire for a few turns?
Loren G. Hedahl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires