Tires: Will P175 80R 13 work? - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-03-2006, 05:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
I've got a S13' -- The tires that are on this are P165 80R13, will the 175 be ok? and Yes, I am getting a class "C" rated tire.

Old 06-05-2006, 12:08 AM   #2

Trailer: 1970 Boler
yup, that'll work

Old 06-05-2006, 06:28 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
What does your trailer weigh?

You mention P175/80R13 which is properly rated for 2143 pounds for the axle when used on a trailer. Elsewhere on the site people have input what their trailers weigh loaded for travel. Some of them were 13 footers. It would give you an idea.

Load range "C" is not part of the P type tire designation. Perhaps you're getting an ST175/80R13? (I can't find an LT175/80R13 size listed in the Tire & Rim Assn. book.) An ST175/80R13 "C" tire is rated to 2720 pounds, axle, at 50 psi. That would be adequate for all the 13 footers I've read about on this site.
Old 06-05-2006, 06:49 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
here is a link to Tirerack's data for Goodyear Marathons

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?mak...Marathon+Radial

Tom Trostel
Old 06-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Quote:
here is a link to Tirerack's data for Goodyear Marathons

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?mak...Marathon+Radial

Tom Trostel
I too need new tires. I've tried to get educated on trailer tires by searching the web. I've been shocked by the horror stories on Goodyear & Carlisle SC tires.

Those 2 are all I've heard comments on....are there any SC tires out there that do not have such a track record on tire failure or should I buy 14" P tires for my 13' Scamp?

Thanks Don
Old 06-05-2006, 10:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Scamp
Quote:
I too need new tires. I've tried to get educated on trailer tires by searching the web. I've been shocked by the horror stories on Goodyear & Carlisle SC tires.

Those 2 are all I've heard comments on....are there any SC tires out there that do not have such a track record on tire failure or should I buy 14" P tires for my 13' Scamp?

Thanks Don

Hi there, we have just this past week changed our tires on our 1991 17ft Scamp. When we purchased it used in 2005 it had on P 165/80 R13. Wrong ,wrong!! We visited our local RV dealer and learned that P stands for Passenger as in Car or truck type vehicle, not Trailer tires. Apparently the side walls on these are not as strong. An ST tire is appropriate and stands for Special Trailer tire. In fact, in Ontario where we live it is illegal to have a P rated tire on your Camper. We went as far as to call Scamp to find out what tire they install at factory installation and he told us that they put on Goodyear Marathon ST 175/80 R13's with a C rating. (1360lbsper tire) Hope this helps out when making your new tire decision. Janine and Jim
Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi there, we have just this past week changed our tires on our 1991 17ft Scamp. When we purchased it used in 2005 it had on P 165/80 R13. Wrong ,wrong!! We visited our local RV dealer and learned that P stands for Passenger as in Car or truck type vehicle, not Trailer tires. Apparently the side walls on these are not as strong. An ST tire is appropriate and stands for Special Trailer tire. In fact, in Ontario where we live it is illegal to have a P rated tire on your Camper. We went as far as to call Scamp to find out what tire they install at factory installation and he told us that they put on Goodyear Marathon ST 175/80 R13's with a C rating. (1360lbsper tire) Hope this helps out when making your new tire decision. Janine and Jim
Thats the tire that has all the failures.......Don
Old 06-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
To avoid repetition I won't add any new information here, but I suggest a look at a couple of recent topics in this forum which you might have missed and which involve this same subject:
More Tire Talk, Regulations say ST
tires n rims, 14 inch
Auto/Truck tires on 13 ft. Scamp?, Bias or radial?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:34 PM   #9

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Thats the tire that has all the failures.......Don

Interesting...

My guess is that like many things, one failure got a lot of publicity without the whole story.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:58 PM   #10

Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I don't think it's just one or two isolated failures. During the last two or three years, I've been reading quite a few first-hand experiences with Goodyear failures on several RV groups besides our Egg groups. Prior to that, there were a lot of Carlisle failures (and they used to wear like iron when I had them on boat trailers).

Of course, it's possible that tires are failing across the board, but only a few brands are being mentioned.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:53 PM   #11

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
I don't think it's just one or two isolated failures. During the last two or three years, I've been reading quite a few first-hand experiences with Goodyear failures on several RV groups besides our Egg groups. Prior to that, there were a lot of Carlisle failures (and they used to wear like iron when I had them on boat trailers).

Of course, it's possible that tires are failing across the board, but only a few brands are being mentioned.
I did some internet search, not much but some, and I couldn't find much on ST tires failing, any brands. From what I could see most failures are due to under inflation or overloading. I did read a lot of positive comments though.

One bit of negative news travels very well through the forum/mail list system. Positive news takes a bit longer, if it ever gets through the system.

I wonder if there's been any reported failures to the National Transportation Safety Board?
I just did a quick check and search. I didn't find anything about trailer tire failures. So at least they don't seem to think it's an issue.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:21 AM   #12

Trailer: Trillium
Ontario
The Carlisle tires on my boat trailer are 2 years old and have less than 2000 miles on them.
When servicing the hubs this year I noticed that both tires are so badly split between the tread ribs that they need to be replaced. My brother had a set of Carlisles on his motorcycle camper trailer, with less than 5000 miles on them, both were shot, his tires were less than two years old, and they had bulged out and split all around the center tread rib.
Personally I don't think I would ever use Carlisle tires again.

Tags
tires