To brake or not to brake that is my question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM   #1

Name: Lyndsay
Trailer: 1975 Trillium 1300
Alberta
Registry
To brake or not to brake that is my question

I have a 1975 trillium 1300 and I tow with a 2008 Ford Escape.
I expect the loaded tow weight to be about 2000lbs.
Should I be putting brakes on my trailer? How easy is this to do? I took a look at the frame and all looks good. Some surface rust but no cracks. I will have to pull a wheel and see if I even have the mounting bracket for brakes.

Lilly The Trilly - 1975 Trillium 1300
Attached Thumbnails
ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1429636202.410797.jpg  
PrettylilTrilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #2

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
With the 1975 trailer if it has the rubber suspended trailing arms like the dexter, AL-KO etc. the rubber is probably dead and the suspension is really a fond memory.
Brakes would be a good addition and they could be either electric or surge brakes.
If you are happy with the surge brakes you need to change out the coupler for a unit with the overhauling brake cylinder and install hydraulic brakes on the axle or with electric brake buy the axle with them.
If the axle is still good ( My 1986 Scamp AL-KO axle had sagged and most of the suspension was in the tires) then if it has the brake backing plates for mounting just buy the proper units to fit.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:20 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If putting on a new axle order it with brakes.

You don't need to pull the wheels. Just lay on the ground and look behind the wheel. If the required plate is there, you will see it on the axle, before the hub. Most Trilliums I have seen have it.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:43 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If something like 27 states require brakes for trailers over 1500 lbs (NY is 1000 lbs) there must me something to it. I don't have a list for Canada, but the roads and risks are about the same. Be sure to read the recent post titled "Sway Disaster..." for a good reason to have trailer brakes.

BTW: I think that your picture shows something more than just "Surface Rust".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Smile Followed you over

Pull a wheel and look for a plate with 4 holes. Thats the flange needed to add brakes. Without it you can't add brakes. With a trailer that old you might consider replacing the whole axle. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 PM   #6
Raz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post

Early Trilliums had a frame cracking issue. Under a recall gusset plates were added for strength.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
If something like 27 states require brakes for trailers over 1500 lbs (NY is 1000 lbs) there must me something to it.
At most that number is "something like 7 or 8" which is hardly anything like 27.
Still it is best to get educated, make good decisions and take personal responsibility.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 02:05 PM   #8

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
???? Bob, I see paint. I see way too much reinforcement. I don't see significant rust. Could you please circle what you are seeing so I may learn the difference between surface rust, and "more then just surface rust"?
Old 04-21-2015, 02:42 PM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
???? Bob, I see paint. I see way too much reinforcement. I don't see significant rust. Could you please circle what you are seeing so I may learn the difference between surface rust, and "more then just surface rust"?

Dave what do you mean by way too much reinforcement? Is this a bad thing?

Old 04-21-2015, 02:49 PM   #10

Alberta
Registry
No not a problem, maybe at bit heavy. You have large plates on both sides of the bend, looks like 1/4". Plates on the bottom of the bend as well. My 4500 frame has 1/8" plates, just on the sides.
Attached Thumbnails
Clipboard01.jpg  
Old 04-21-2015, 02:53 PM   #11

Alberta
Registry
Ah ok. I'd rather over kill then under estimated

Old 04-21-2015, 03:09 PM   #12

Rust

Quote:
When enlarging the pic it appears that the frame area to the left of the diagonal brace has what I would call "Serious" rust.

IMHO: "Surface Rust" is a light coating that can be removed, usually with a wire brush, without removing significant amounts of the base material and without leaving significant pits or craters in the base material. I think that a cleaning of the indicated surface would reveal significant incursion into the base material, including pits and craters.

Others may have a more forgiving definition of "Surface Rust".

Old 04-21-2015, 03:12 PM   #13

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
in BC you don't...

3100 lbs is the tipping point....at 2000 you're a long way away....it's your call....it should be said that where and how you intend to tow... most of the time...along with your comfort/experience with towing things... will/should be a factor in your decision....have fun...
Attached Thumbnails
brakereq.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 03:18 PM   #14

Brake Requirements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
At most that number is "something like 7 or 8" which is hardly anything like 27.
Still it is best to get educated, make good decisions and take personal responsibility.
Yes, 7 states is more correct, with Ohio being 2000 lbs. I was looking at the 3000 lbs requirement.

But that said, Alberta has a 2000 lb limit "If the trailer is greater that 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle".

With California, the state with, by far, the largest number of RV's on the road, setting the limit at 1500 lbs., I still suggest using that as a figure.

We also have a 55mph speed limit for towed vehicles and that works as well.

BTW: Personal Responsibility isn't worth a lb of warm spit after the fact.....

Old 04-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #15

Alberta
Registry
I may try a few trips that aren't too far from home first before I make a final decision. I want to be safe on the road.

Old 04-21-2015, 03:28 PM   #16

BC does not equal Alberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
3100 lbs is the tipping point....at 2000 you're a long way away....it's your call....it should be said that where and how you intend to tow... most of the time...along with your comfort/experience with towing things... will/should be a factor in your decision....have fun...
The O.P. is in Alberta when the brake requirements is apparently set at 2000 lbs when the trailer exceeds 50% of the towing vehicles weight.

Common sense, or as others may prefer to call it, Personal Responsibility, should trump legal requirements, and my guideline will remain at 1500 lbs, regardless of what the legal requirement is (unless, as in NY state) it is even less at 1000 lbs.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:27 PM   #17

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

BTW: Personal Responsibility isn't worth a lb of warm spit after the fact.....
No law can reincarnate an accident victim either.

Thus, I see no issue...
That's why I suggested... "Still it is best to get educated, make good decisions".... and THEN "take personal responsibility".

Doing what's right usually includes following the rules, but always obviates them.

Brakes are not required on my Scamp 13, but I got educated, and took the personal responsibility to have my trailer equipped with brakes.
That kinda renders the law on that issue worth less than a pound of warm spit before the fact.
Adequate insurance is another example of taking personal responsibility which is certainly worth something "after the fact"... when mistakes or failures have occurred.

Why would taking personal responsibility be a bad thing?
Following the rules can be the belt... but personal responsibility adds the suspenders!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:39 PM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Ummm..... How much is a pound, (0.4536kg) of warm spit worth?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:11 PM   #19
Raz

Quote:
Ummm..... How much is a pound, (0.4536kg) of warm spit worth?
I suppose you could list it on eBay to find out?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:41 PM   #20

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Raz View Post
I suppose you could list it on eBay to find out?
Please don't I think I know people who might bid on it, and an item offered is a contractual obligation to provide the item as described. Ewwwh

If you find the axle needs to be replaced getting it with brakes just makes sense, not a huge additional cost. If nothing else even without brakes order with the mounting plate that allows brakes to be added later. The mounting plate cannot be added later if not on originally. Pretty sure welding it on would fry the rubber suspension inside the axle tube.

With say a small SUV or many other vehicles one can tow a 13 ft. safely without brakes provided one uses care and is knowledgeable about good towing set up, or willing to learn. However with the lite weight a 13 ft. is more likely than a big camper to be pulled by something small enough that it has to struggle to stop the camper (reason for the > 50% weight of tow vehicle in the regulations mentioned).

Brakes are a resale selling point. One that provides you an extra measure of safety while you own it in hard stopping or downhill stopping situations in particular. Or sway condition. Properly adjusted a progressive brake controller can make the trailer "part of the car" to the extent that driving is a whole lot more comfortable.

So value up front, value on resale, increased safety, more comfortable towing. I think they call that a win-win x 2 for having brakes.

If on the other hand you don't have brakes don't sweat it. There is a reason many small trailers don't have brakes by default. You will need to use knowledge, care and vigilance to compensate is all. The heavier your tow vehicle is the less they matter. Full size pickup vs say a Subaru outback the outback driver will miss the brakes more.

Short trips that are reached with routes you are familiar with are a good way to get a feel for the towing experience of this trailer. And since when was a lawn chair in a campground a bad idea no matter how close it is.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote