Tongue Jack base fell off - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-21-2016, 06:18 PM   #1

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp
Ohio
Tongue Jack base fell off

We picked up our new Scamp 13 on Thursday and stayed in Backus MN for two days to do a shake down. We left for Porcupine Mountains State Park and just arrived and set up. We noticed the bottom plate for the tongue jack is gone.we checked the manual and video and are trying to figure out if it should have stayed on with a pin?

Input would be appreciated and luckily we had ordered a wheel as well!

Besides this we are having a blast and met with really nice folks last night with a 2005 16 foot scamp!

Scott L

Old 05-21-2016, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post
We picked up our new Scamp 13 on Thursday and stayed in Backus MN for two days to do a shake down. We left for Porcupine Mountains State Park and just arrived and set up. We noticed the bottom plate for the tongue jack is gone.we checked the manual and video and are trying to figure out if it should have stayed on with a pin?

Besides this we are having a blast and met with really nice folks last night with a 2005 16 foot scamp!

Scott L
The foot is normally held in place with a pin which has a wire clip retainer. If the main shaft of the jack is not damaged or bent then the odds are that the clip was not secured and it just vibrated out and the foot just fell off.
The good news is that the parts are easily gotten at any local RV dealer such as camping world. They also sell a wheel which will fit on the same spot so that you can wheel your camper around on the driveway at home with ease.
If you think Scamp is at fault for leaving the clip loose, give them a call and I am sure they will either send you one or pay you to pick the parts up locally.
Enjoy your new Scamp!!

Here the foot is sold for $4.55....

http://www.redtrailers.com/ShowItem....FUI9gQoddcUCHQ

Old 05-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #3

IllAnnoy
Registry
OBTW! You could use a piece of 2X4 or something similar as a foot until you get the new foot. I use the lego style pads for leveling and setup even with the foot in place....

Old 05-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #4

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
You don't necessarily need to go to an RV dealer for the foot. It is a common part that should be available at any trailer supply place.

You can also get a dolly foot that will allow you to move a 13 footer around with ease.

You might call Scamp and tell them you are sending the receipt for reimbursement on the foot. No guarantees, but worth a shot.
Old 05-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe they already have the wheel, which they are using in the interim.

But I agree- the flat foot is neither hard nor expensive to replace, and you can decide whether to hold Scamp responsible for the cost. I'd try Walmart, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, U-Haul, auto parts store,... , or go online after you get home.
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post

You might call Scamp and tell them you are sending the receipt for reimbursement on the foot. No guarantees, but worth a shot.
You might.. but removing the foot (or wheel), or at least checking that the pin is in place, is part of the process of hooking up and preparing to tow, and the responsibility of the driver. I would eat the very minor cost and forget about it (well, actually I would remember it when hooking up).

Many people remove the foot for the added clearance when towing, and it is even possible to set up the trailer without the foot, as long as long as you have a way to cushion the jack shaft (wood block). But you should take care not to damage the shaft end so that you can continue to use the foot / wheel. In other words, don't put it down right on the pavement where movement of the parked trailer might damage it. Of course the foot also holds water and will rust out faster if it is not removed when it is not needed. Those are a few of the reasons why it is removable.

On my pop-up I always removed the foot when towing and rarely used it when setting up for camp, but on the Scamp I put on the Ultimate Jack which can be raised and so have left the foot in place (so far).
Old 05-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I leave the foot on. Two days ago I had a minor tongue strike exiting a gas station. With the foot on, it slid on the pavement without damage. Without it, the sharp edge of the jack shaft might well have caught and bent. I hadn't thought about it trapping water, though. Seems like a hole in the center of the foot would solve that.

I like your Ultimate Jack, Gordon. What is your impression of the quality of the materials and the internal mechanism? I was thinking about it after the tongue strike, but had forgotten the name. This time I'll bookmark it…
Old 05-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I like your Ultimate Jack, Gordon. What is your impression of the quality of the materials and the internal mechanism? …
I guess I would give it a 7.5 out of 10 for quality of build.

You surly need to make sure the locking pin is in place. If not, I could see it vibrating loose and dropping the jack (at 65 MPH) But after I lock the pin in place it seems very secure. There are a few internal components that might be subject to wear. There is a hard plastic piece that might be damaged if you repeatedly let the jack drop by itself instead of lowering by hand. And if you let it drop it can get stuck too, so you need to lower it by hand.

I got it so I could open my tailgate / back door while the trailer was on the hitch, something I could not do with the original jack (which I would rate a 5-6 for quality). It works very well for that and there have been many times that I forgot something in the rear of the van and the jack saved me from either unhitching or crawling over the rear seats to the back to get to what I needed.

In the lowered position the handle can hit the single propane tank but if I am careful its not a problem. If you have dual tanks it might be worse (or better).

I'm happy with it and would buy it again. It should be available for about $55 or less.

Another option is the Jack-E-Up which is completely removable.
Old 05-22-2016, 03:25 PM   #9

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal6342 View Post

Scott L
I tried a wheel on our 16 ft, but found I could not lower the hitch far enough to engage the ball on the TV. My flat plate foot is secured with a bolt and self locking nut, which takes wrenches. Less likely to come loose.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:12 PM   #10

Name: None
Trailer: None
None
I removed the wheel from my Casita and replaced it with a plate
Drilled a couple of drainage holes in the plate and secured the attachment clip with a heavy duty tyrap so it could not vibrate loose. We have a gravel driveway and the wheel was useless plus the plate is more stable and has better ground clearance.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:25 PM   #11

IllAnnoy
Registry
I have the wheel which I keep at home. It makes it SOOO easy to wheel the trailer around in the shop and on the driveway. I bring it out with the wheel when ready to hook up for a trip, then switch to the foot and leave the wheel at home. When I get home I just pull straight into the driveway and switch to the wheel and put the trailer away.No backing around the house to the shop. I used to use a trailer dolly but the wheel is so much better.