Tongue weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Did you measure the tongue weight at the ball socket or the hitch jack?

Ball socket weight = hitch jack weight X distance from wheel bearing shaft to hitch jack / distance from wheel bearing shaft to ball socket

This would reduce the hitch weight slightly.

CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:21 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
I recently returned from a trip to Custer SD, and than on to WY and MT before returning to MN. I pulled my Scamp 13' onto a certified scale at a truck stop and found out that the way I was loaded, the trailer weighed 1440 #.

Prior to leaving home I slipped the bathroom scale under the tongue and I had a tongue weight of 190 #.

Somewhere on this site I remember folks saaying that your tongue weight should be about 10%-15% of the trailers weight. In my case it worked out to 13% and I had no problems with sway or anything during the trip that I just took, covering 1850 miles.

Just another opinion

Jim Paskett
Hi Jim: The important point is that you had no problems or sway. Having said that, the only way to get correct weights is to measure the weight of the trailer seperatly from the tow vehicle. When you are hitched up the tongue wieght will increase the rear wheel weight of the tow vehicle and decrease the front wheel weight.
Measuring the tongue weight as you did is a precise way of knowing the weight on the hitch but keep in mind this weight changes under driving conditions and can increase or decrrease dramaticaly as the vehicles "bounce" down the highway.

This is all just grist for the mill if you are haapy with the way your rig tows.

Happy trails, Ian

Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #17

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Are the axles really more rearward? The effective centre of the axle system in a tandem setup is midway between the two axles, and in the Fiber Stream this is far enough forward that even after a whole tire diameter, there's still enough space behind the wheels for a door and closet.
Don't have the hitch to wheel dimension, but within the Fiber Stream trailer, the plywood floor section in front of the 48" wheel well is 55", and the section behind the wheel well is 48". Major weight behind are the black and grey water tanks. Major weight in front is the fresh water tank, furnace, water heater, and battery. I would say the trailer has significant weight forward, and should be towed level only, not front down.

Victor
Old 05-30-2006, 05:50 PM   #18

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Thanks for the information, Victor.

With the effective axle location in the middle of the wheel well, that's (55+48/2)=99" from the front of the body. Fred says the trailer is 16'0" overall, with a 13'-2" body, so there's 2'-10" (=34") of tongue. That means 133" (99+34) from hitch to axle, which is about 10% longer than my B1700 - not such an extreme case of the rear axle being set back. Despite the tandem axles, which look close to the rear, it seems to me that the Fiber Stream is quite typical in proportions. Maybe none of our trailers are radically different in proportions - they just have varying amounts of equipment loaded up front, and thus have different tongue weights.

Okay, I'll stop bugging people about techie details now...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:59 AM   #19

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Did you measure the tongue weight at the ball socket or the hitch jack?

Ball socket weight = hitch jack weight X distance from wheel bearing shaft to hitch jack / distance from wheel bearing shaft to ball socket

This would reduce the hitch weight slightly.
I just lifted the trailer front jack stand onto my bathroom scale...it was not attached to the car
Old 05-31-2006, 04:04 AM   #20

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Hi Jim: The important point is that you had no problems or sway. Having said that, the only way to get correct weights is to measure the weight of the trailer seperatly from the tow vehicle. When you are hitched up the tongue wieght will increase the rear wheel weight of the tow vehicle and decrease the front wheel weight.
Measuring the tongue weight as you did is a precise way of knowing the weight on the hitch but keep in mind this weight changes under driving conditions and can increase or decrrease dramaticaly as the vehicles "bounce" down the highway.

This is all just grist for the mill if you are haapy with the way your rig tows.

Happy trails, Ian
Thanks Ian...when I went to the truck stop scale, the auto was on one scale pad and the trailer was on a separate pad when they weighed it...the car weighed a little more than 4400 # and the trailer weighed in at 1440#

Jim Paskett
Old 05-31-2006, 10:44 AM   #21

Trailer: X-treme Lite 160
Quote:
I weighed my Scamp's tongue weight recently (13'). It weighed 168 lbs without the water tank filled. Probably a bit less with the water in.
Byron,
I have a Custom Deluxe and my tongue wt. is 156# . So, we are very close. Total wt. is close to 1500 lbs. I have a 9000 BTU portable AC, 2.5gal AC water heater,Microwave, TV, toaster oven, porta potti, and all the other standard items. It tows like a dream behind my V6 '04 Highlander.

Thanks,
Gary

Tags
weighing, weight