Tongue weight - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 03-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
News Flash! The Subaru manual or at least mine and a number of others I have checked says ** Not to use a weight distribution hitch**.

Suspect this is due to the fact that the Outback unlike many other SUV's does not have a truck bases frame. It is also all wheel drive and has a very different suspension system than many of the other SUV;s.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:28 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
The the gas mileage you were hoping to get may be optimistic since the Outback is rated at 22 mpg city and 29 mpg highway when not towing.
Andy is correct - while towing on the freeway my Outback gets about 23/24 mpg. On average I get about 19/20 while towing. But my towing is mostly on the coast where we have lots of hills.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #17

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Jim,
That sounds way heavy, even with dual 27s and a full water tank. Can you shift some of that weight aft to lighten the tongue?
I've got the same rig as you, but without the dual batteries and although I haven't put the tounge on a scale, I doubt that it's much over 300#. On mine, I added an access hatch on the aft curb side, so I suspect that some of the junk that I store there evens out the tongue a bit.

BTW, I just went back to a Toyota Sienna for a tug. My old Sienna (2002) worked well, but when I traded it in, I opted for a 4Runner. The 4Runner did just as well as the old Sienna, but I had to carry a ladder just so our aging dog could get in the vehicle. So, it's back to a Sienna. I have to admit that the access and space is the minivan is a huge benefit. No kids, so I take all the rear seats out and it becomes a huge cavern.

See you at the Poconos.

Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I was looking at the new Outback 2.5i with 2700# towing and 200# tw- The tongue weight limit seems low for a 2700 pound trailer.
I got my Sherline scale and measured my Egg today-410# was the tongue weight. My trailer is about 2200# but I have dual 27 batteries up front.
So unless Subaru changes their numbers that leaves the Outback out- it is a nice car with the CVT transmission. I have the salesman verifying the tongue weight limit.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 PM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I'm shocked by your hitch weight, 410#s seems impossible. We have a 1991 Scamp 16 with side bath and our hitch weight is 220#s. We do have only one type 27 battery but our water tank is empty. We usually carry a half tank of water that lightens the hitch weight.

We are presently in a Casita 16 with front bath and are fully loaded for 6 months of travel and have a hitch weight of 230 #s with 2 propane tanks and rear battery.

We considered purchasing a Casita 17 but read they can easily have hitch weights of 400#s, too much for our Honda. We use no W/D and tow with a Honda CRV.

Norm

Quote:
This is why a tongue scale is important. My factory specs listed 240# before options. My Sherline shows 410# loaded. So unless one weighs the trailer, it is all guess work. I'm contacting Subaru to see if the w/d will effect their rating.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #19

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Update on tongue weight,
I spoke with Jim Palmer this am, the capacity is 375# on the tongue, but it will take twice that amount before any issues. I went back and looked at my set up. I removed everything from the tongue box other than 2 batteries and 5 lb propane bottle. I also put the scale in the coupler in lieu of under the jack stand. I put my spare back on the rear and now I'm at 380# and if I removed the propane tank, down to 360#. I will measure again after loading up with water and food to get a "on the road" amount. I'm hoping it will be less.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Sounds like you are getting it down and are at least within the capacity but it still seems rather high for this size trailer. Have you considered installing a solar panel on the roof of the trailer so you can get by with just 1 battery?
Old 03-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #21

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Update on tongue weight,
I spoke with Jim Palmer this am, the capacity is 375# on the tongue, but it will take twice that amount before any issues. I went back and looked at my set up. I removed everything from the tongue box other than 2 batteries and 5 lb propane bottle. I also put the scale in the coupler in lieu of under the jack stand. I put my spare back on the rear and now I'm at 380# and if I removed the propane tank, down to 360#. I will measure again after loading up with water and food to get a "on the road" amount. I'm hoping it will be less.
When I got my Trillium it had never had a battery, and when I did put one in I carried it on the rear bumper in a box built for the purpose. It helped a lot in keeping tongue weight down. I can't tell by your pictures if you have the necessary room or meat on the rear bumper, but you might consider that option, even if it meant a welded add on. Two 27's, evenly spaced on the rear (spare tire between?), might put you near the 200 lb.tongue weight range, though you'd still have the same over-tow-limit problem.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think the Outback is not meant to be a tow vehicle, nice car though.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:06 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
I think the Outback is not meant to be a tow vehicle, nice car though.
It may not be meant to tow your trailer. But take it from someone who has towed thousands of miles with an Outback over 4 years that it is indeed meant to tow and it tows well and safely. As with all vehicles it will do it only within its designed limits.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:18 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post

We considered purchasing a Casita 17 but read they can easily have hitch weights of 400#s, too much for our Honda. We use no W/D and tow with a Honda CRV.

Norm
Norm,
If you would like to view an EggCamper, we're only an hour from Hampton. However, you'll have to wait till the snow melts around ours.

1 degree F this morning. Will spring never come?

Ron
Old 03-03-2011, 06:26 AM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Ron,

I'd definitely like to see your Escape. We won't be home until the snow melts. We have two trailers to tke home, the Casita and a Scamp. Once ir's clear we'll be heading home and quickly returning to FL to get the Scamp/

Thanks so much for the offer. WE'll be looking forward to meeting you.\\Nirm
Old 03-03-2011, 06:38 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Ron,

I'd definitely like to see your Escape. We won't be home until the snow melts.
Norm, It's an EggCamper, http://www.eggcamper.com, 17 ft, side dinette. If that still interests you, send me a PM. I'm sure we don't have to bore everybody on the forum with arrangements.

Don't bother hurrying back to NH. Spring doesn't look like it'll be here until sometime in June this year.
Ron
Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #27

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
It may not be meant to tow your trailer. But take it from someone who has towed thousands of miles with an Outback over 4 years that it is indeed meant to tow and it tows well and safely. As with all vehicles it will do it only within its designed limits.
I'm curious, have you checked your tongue weight on the Outback. The listed tongue weights for 16' Scamps here on the forum all exceed 200#. I feel if Subaru changed their brochure number to 400# it would open up a lot more customers.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #28

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Jim,
You got me curious, so I just weighed the tongue on my EggCamper; I got 281 lbs. It's pretty empty except for a fairly heavy memory foam mattress on the bed, which probably helps lower the tongue weight.
Ray

Tags
weight