Tongue Weight - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tongue Weight

We're going to Lake Mead in Boulder, NV, dry camping, so I weighed my propane bottle to see the amount left. It turned out to be 30 lbs meaning about 1/2 full.

In the process I decided to weigh the tongue weight. It was 189 lbs or almost 8% of our 2400 lb total. With a full bottle it gets to about 200 lbs.

I know 8% is light to many of you but we've always been in this range and never had any sway.

As well I flushed the top of our solar panels with the water hose this morning to get the desert dust off. It immediately improved their output by about 0.2 volts.

The only negative to the desert so far is the dust.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
make sure you also go to Valley of the Fire!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:02 PM   #3

Florida
Carol,

We have been there and plan to go again. Did you camp at the Valley? Any other suggestions?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-04-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Yes was at Valley of Fire last December - amazing sunsets in the valley just behind/above the visitors center....No other suggestions for that area other than Vegas baby! :-))

Close by and within a days drive are two spots you may have already been, Death Valley & Grand Canyon - both amazing! Allow lots of days in Death Valley as there are many day hikes etc to do there that were wonderful.

Dont know what your trip plan is from Yuma but I stayed at Buckskin Mountain State park near Parker - it was the nicest of the state parks in Navada along the Colorado River that I stopped at. If you go there ask about the Desert Bar - its about a 45 min drive from Buckskin and a cool thing to see and just a few miles off the main highway down a gravel road into the desert - no power or water but they have live bands and cold beer - oh and a church you can get remarried in..... ;-))

My Fav spot in Southern Cal was Aqua Callente Co Park, San Diego Co. - Anzo Borrego Desert.....

If your heading anywhere near Palm Springs area there is a nice little park at La Quinta called Lake Cahulla County Park - its on a man made lake and compared to other RV spots in the area the price was very right & a bit more low key. Its only an hours drive or less to Palm Springs if you are wanting to go there to do the tram sight seeing etc. A lot of golf courses around where good deals can be had as well. Also possible to do a day trip to Joshua Tree National park from there although it would be a bit rushed - would be better to just stay at Joshua which is another amazing national park with plenty to explore.

If you find yourself stuck anywhere near Bakersfield Cal. I can recommend a cute little RV spot called the Orange Grove RV Park.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #5

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I live near Bakersfield so I really don't have any reccomendations for camping spots.
If you do find yourself in the Bakersfield area let me know and I'll buy you dinner.
John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:23 PM   #6

Florida
John, My wife says you can take her to the 'In and Out' there....... she loves a burger. Send me a PM. If we pass thru we'll give you a call.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #7

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
John, My wife says you can take her to the 'In and Out' there....... she loves a burger. Send me a PM. If we pass thru we'll give you a call.
When I go to Bakersfield I drive about 10 miles out of my way to have an In and out Burger. Best hamburgers in the County.

John
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:07 PM   #8

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Oh how I miss that dust.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight