Tongue Weight Concern - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #21

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
Cathi,
Good advice. I realized that I'm was wrong in my assumption that the full weight of anything added on the tongue would be added to the tongue weight. Simple physics - a portion of the weight will be supported by the axle. I will probably be under the 350 lb limit.

Moving the battery under the bench in back might not be a bad idea but I'd rather not cut a hole in the side of the trailer for the vent and I'm hesitant to add weight behind the axle. We've had sway issues in the past (a bike rack and bikes on the rear was a BAD idea).

I don't think I can add a weight distribution hitch for several reasons. One, Deryk said in a post that the factory hitch on the RAV4 is a Class II and is not compatible with a WDH. I can't find verification of that online or in my owners manual. Also, the hitch is probably too low and set too far forward. And, the tongue rack I've added would interfere with the mounts.

Thanks for all the great input.
Yes, that is what I knew: your first paragraph. You can try moving some cargo around and changing tank weights if that can possibly help, before other measures.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:00 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Is not a WDH going to add to an already over weight situation?
Old 05-16-2017, 02:17 AM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin00 View Post
Is not a WDH going to add to an already over weight situation?
Yes, it will add weight
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:58 AM   #24

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
Thanks for all your input. I will wait and see what my tongue weight is when I have all the components put together. I think I'll be okay. If I'm over 350 lbs, I'll see what weight I can shift toward the rear of the trailer. While the extra stability that a weight distribution hitch might provide is tempting, the additional tongue weight, expense, and hassle is not.

P.s. The owners manual for the 2011 RAV4 doesn't say anything about weight distribution systems.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0261.jpg  
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:40 AM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug in Sacramento View Post
T
P.s. The owners manual for the 2011 RAV4 doesn't say anything about weight distribution systems.
I'm not surprised. I've seen excerpts from the owner's manual of the same model-year Highlander as mine (2006) where there was the same "Toyota does not recommend using a weight distribution hitch" text. However my owner's manual has absolutely no mention of WDH, nor is the pdf version of the manual you can download from Toyota's website.
May be there was an update to the manual some time ago, I don't know.
I've been using a WDH with it since day one with my popup, and now with the Trillium. Hitch is a WD-rated Class III Curt.

In any case, Toyota, like most manufacturers, has a dedicated bunch of lawyers whose job is taking great care of your safety , and from them comes all the Caution and Warning yellow rectangles in your owner's manual that warn you on very important stuff like "do no tow at speed over 72 km/h" (seriously, that's 40 mph, I don't know if this ridiculous "limitation" still appears in Toyota's manuals, but until recently it could be found in all of them, including the 4Runner, FJCruiser, Tacoma and Tundra!).
I'm sure if using a WDH created the slightest risk, it would certainly be in a yellow Caution or Warning rectangle. But for those who have it, it is not.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #26

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
I can't speak for Toyota but some manufactures don't want you to use a WDH because the uni-body was not designed to take the twisting load at the hitch mounting points.

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:21 PM   #27

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I don't know about any other vehicles, but the Town and Country hitch manual says that for over 1800 lbs trailer weight a WDH is required.
I haven't bought one yet because I haven't found a used one that is rated for the low weight of the Scamp.
The Mini 350 is and a few others, but most are much higher a thousand pound hitch weight and 10,000 lb trailer weight.
Any good suggestions?
So far I have had no problems towing with the van and the trailer is stable and well behaved.
I want to carry two cruiser bikes on the hitch on the rear of the Scamp and I would like to have the WDH and stabilizer built in along with rebalancing the unit.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #28

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
If it was me I'D rather be over weight with a WDH than be over weight without it. The real question is does your trailer manufacturer recommend a weight distribution hitch as your trailer frame can be the weak point.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #29

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The Mini 350 is and a few others, but most are much higher a thousand pound hitch weight and 10,000 lb trailer weight.
Any good suggestions?
The 350 Mini was discontinued some time ago. That's what I used with my Coleman Popup.
I occasionally see some appear in the classifieds, although not always identified as such.

Reese now offers the Steadi-Flex, available with a 400 lbs rated tongue weight.
Equal-i-zer also offers a 400lbs version of their WDH.
Carl V is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight