Tongue weight scale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2017, 09:45 AM   #1

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Tongue weight scale

The Sherline tongue weight scale looks nice, but for occasional use, can I just use a bathroom scale? Theoretically my Burro 14 tongue should not be over 300 lbs. And should the weight be taken with the jack, or should it be at the ball hitch location?
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:31 AM   #2

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
The best location is at the coupler location. The jack is far enough back that it is less accurate. Is it accurate enough at the jack? I haven't done the math. It should be just the ratio of how far back the jack it is from the coupler vs. the distance from the coupler to the center of the axle. Besides, "accurate enough" is subjective.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I would recommend the Sherline scale. If you do get one, make sure it has the 1,000 lb. gauge, not the 2,000 lb. gauge as the gauge is most accurate and easiest to read at the middle of the range.
This is from Sherline Towing Guide. You measure once at the hitch and once at the jack and then apply the math formula when measuring at the jack from then on.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 9.52.43 AM.png  
Old 06-19-2017, 10:59 AM   #4

Name: Alan & Barb
Trailer: Bigfoot 25RQ
Washington
Registry
First, the weight should be taken at the ball receiver. I find it's very easy when the trailer is unhitched to put blocks under the scale, lower the jack to get the weight and then jack it back up. Weighing at the jack will be close(ish) but would depend on the distance from the ball receiver on how off it is. Don't forget to weigh all hitch components as well.

You could use a bathroom scale (thrift shops are full of them). Our trailer has a tongue weight approaching 500# which makes using a bathroom scale impractical without offsetting it with boards which is a PITA for me and less practical on the road.

I caved and bought the Sherline after we had an unnerving swaying incident with our Bigfoot. I've found a nearly 50# variation in tongue weight depending on how we load for just a 4-5 day trip. It also helps me when I need to carry water in my fresh tank at the extreme rear which drives the variation much higher.
Barb and Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Escape 17B
Nevada
I bought a 330lb scale from Walmart, and use a jack stand to support the tongue.
Jim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:23 PM   #6

Name: KAY
Trailer: SCAMP
Missouri
Registry
etrailer -Sherline Tongue Weight Scale is the Deal of the Day

Got this in today's e-mail.

This portable scale makes it quick and easy to measure your trailer's tongue weight at home or on the road. It gives you accurate weigh-ins that lead to confident, safe towing. No more guesswork, trip to the scales, or bathroom scales.*
www.etrailer.com/Tools/Sherline/5780.html
Our customers give it a 5-star rating with over 300 reviews!
George Jiggs * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
george@etrailer.com
(636)887-2712 * * * *

$139.39 today 6/19/2017
likeair2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeair2me View Post
$139.39 today 6/19/2017
Just make sure it has a 1,000 lb. gauge. Last I looked etrailer only sold it with a 2,000 lb. gauge, so I then had to buy the 1,000 lb. from Sherline ( although you can get one elsewhere ). That increases the price, especially if shipped to Canada.
And, if buying from etrailer.com, ask them to ship from their Ontario warehouse, if you live in Canada, to avoid the border fees.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2017-06-19 at 11.44.42 AM.png  
Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: Casita Independence "Callimachusita"
Ocean City, NJ
Yes you can use a bathroom scale. Etrailer explains it. https://www.etrailer.com/faq-how-to-...ue-weight.aspx
Pod Puppies: Josie and Frankie, Casita Kittens: Madison & Razzel & Mrs. Chow
librarianocnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 02:15 PM   #9

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
If you want a Sherline scale.. I have one for sale. It does have the 2k gauge but you can buy the 1000 lb gauge if you want - it just replaces the 2k gauge. List price is US $32 but maybe you can find it lower.

I used it (with the 2,000 lb gauge) to get the weight on the individual wheels (left and right sides of the camper) or at least as close as I could with the Sherline under the frame.

I was not going to ship it but I will ship it to CONUS for the price listed in the Ad to members of this forum. Send PM instead of replying in this thread.

https://charlotte.craigslist.org/pts/6144355671.html
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
A bathroom scale works just fine. Under the jack is fine; close enough for all practical purposes.
But for accuracy, adjust the reading by the ratio of distances of the ball and jack from the axle.
For example: Our 16 ft Scamp had a hitch ball weight of 285 lb.
The distance from ball to axle was 121 inches. and the jack is 11 inches behind the ball, or 110 inches from the axle.
The weight at the jack would be 121/110 x 285 = 313.5 lb.
Conversely, if you measure, say 300 lb at the jack, the formula is:
110/121 x 300 = 272 lb.
Be sure the trailer sits level. the wheels are chocked.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #11

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If this is mentioned earlier, sorry but I missed it. Whether you use a Sherline or bathroom scale make sure the ball receiver is at the same height as when towing.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
If this is mentioned earlier, sorry but I missed it. Whether you use a Sherline or bathroom scale make sure the ball receiver is at the same height as when towing.
I don't see how this is relevant. All that matters is that the trailer is level.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
1000 lb Scale on Ebay and Amazon

I saw the 1000 lb on ebay for about $142 and $144 on Amazon. Since I order quite a bit from Amazon, went ahead a placed my order there. Should arrive tomorrow.

brad
BradBev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 11:42 AM   #14

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
I go to the simplest, with the bath room scale :
Attached Thumbnails
Poids au hitch.JPG  
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:14 PM   #15

Quote:
That would be most accurate, but won't make a significant difference. Your scale set up may only be accurate to plus or minus 10 lb.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:28 PM   #16

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't see how this is relevant. All that matters is that the trailer is level.
It's relevant because the tongue weight will vary depending on the height of the ball (or receiver). If the trailer is not level when hooked up, you will not get the actual travel tongue weight if measured level.
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 12:31 PM   #17

Well, the Sherline guide says to measure at 'approximately' the ball height, which is a rather vague term that can mean anything. If you tow level ( as you should ) then you'll be accurate with the trailer level. The main thing is avoid side-loading the scale.

On the issue of accuracy, the reason for getting the 1,000 lb. gauge is that it is most accurate in the middle of the range.

From Sherline towing guide:

For maximum accuracy, select a gauge that puts your final
measurement in about the middle of the gauge’s range. (For
example: for tongue weights of about 1000 lb. use a gauge
that reads to 2000 lb.) The reason is that pressure gauges
of this type are accurate to within about 2% in the middle
ranges, but accuracy decreases to about 3% at extreme low
or high readings.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:45 PM   #18

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
We use a bathroom scale and the method (Figure A) shown in Franswa's post (#14). We don't do it for every trip, but at least once a year. We jack up the trailer with the tongue jack and then lower it onto the scale set at the same height as the ball on our hitch. BTW, we didn't have too much trouble finding a bathroom scale that went up to at least 450 lbs. People are getting heavier!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:36 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
For most fiberglass trailers, you can use a bathroom scale directly. 400 pound scales are not unusual, and with a little on line shopping, 500+ pounds are not hard to find.

I made an adapter that I put on the scale that fits in the ball socket at level height. Since i only have to raise the tongue jack enough to take the weight off it, even if it broke, no much would happen. I use it before every trip.
Attached Thumbnails
ASG_2484.jpg   ASG_2481.jpg  

Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 06:44 PM   #20

Quote:
It's relevant because the tongue weight will vary depending on the height of the ball (or receiver). If the trailer is not level when hooked up, you will not get the actual travel tongue weight if measured level.
How much it changes depends on the height of the Center of Gravity and degree of off-level. As a percentage of the actual it is insignificant.

Tags
weight