Tongue Weights - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 PM   #71
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Just as a point of reference, I noticed that the 2013 Escape has a trailer stability function built into its regular stability control system. This functionality may be a big help in the future for towing.

Here is a link to an explanation of how Ford's trailer stability function works. Aside from applying opposing braking on the tow vehicle, it can reduce engine power ie. slow you down. http://media.ford.com/images/10031/T..._SuperDuty.pdf

In Europe, some trailers have stability equipment built in to the trailer itself - essentially applying the trailer brakes in sync with trailer sway oscillations to bring sway under control.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #72

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPJ View Post
In Europe, some trailers have stability equipment built in to the trailer itself - essentially applying the trailer brakes in sync with trailer sway oscillations to bring sway under control.
GP I saw that on the site that Andrew posted (or maybe not that one) and wondered if anyone had any first hand experiences with its use. I hadnt seen anything like it here.

How long have they been putting that system on the trailers? Is common to many trailer manufactures or just certain brands and sizes?

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #73
GPJ

Name: GP
Trailer: Looking
British Columbia
Carol:

I have been reading about experiments with these for years, but first noticed them in european brochures only a couple of years ago. I haven't read any user reports as of yet, but then again, I haven't really been looking for them.

THey are actually produced by the chassis manufacturers - ALKO being the most prevalent, so they should be available for most caravans. ALKO produces about 90% of european caravan chassis.

Here is a YouTube link to the system as used in Australia: ALKO ESC (Electronic Stability Control) 2012 - YouTube

These systems work by applying the trailer brakes independently of the tow vehicle. One could argue that with our electric brake controllers we can simply reach down and apply the trailer brakes, but these systems react far more quickly than we can, and when we are fighting for control it is difficult to pull a hand from the wheel to control the trailer brakes. As for using the vehicle and trailer brakes by applying the foot brakes, as the driver in the video points out, sometimes that is the worst thing we can do.

Let me know if you find any user experiences out there.