Tonneau vs. Cap - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #15
Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
+1 on the Undercover. Light and strong. Lockable. Ok, not as secure as a trunk, by far, but it locks...
Can be removed in minutes, reinstalled in same, when we need to carry a tall item.

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:15 PM   #16
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The fiberglass caps will impact your mpg as they are heavy, between 2-300 lbs for a good one. A tonneau cover weighs less than 20 lbs. Your Frontier is a 6 cyl and has a weight limit, the cap will impact that.
I have been towing a Casita 17 SD using a 2004 Frontier Crew Cab with a small 3.7L V-6 engine and A/T. I have a cab height fiberglass canopy and haven't noticed one iota of loss of gas mileage during my ten years with this truck. I usually drive at 65 mph+ and there hasn't been any appreciable fuel consumption difference. Don't get me wrong, when I tow, my gas mileage goes from 18 mpg down to 11.5 mpg, but there is no difference in towing or not towing fuel economy whether I have the canopy on or off.

Also, the tongue and gross towing weight on a pickup, even a small Frontier, is generally better than many of the other "tow rigs" I've seen being used, particularly minivans and anything "unibody" constructed. YMMV.

The main reason for the canopy vs tonneau cover is the extra storage space. You can never have enough storage space, especially with a small trailer.

"Government doesn't have an answer to the problem, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #17
Name: bill
Trailer: Burro
I just bought a Diamondback HD for my Chevy Silverado. I love it. It is Linexed Diamond plate, has 12 tie-downs, 2 lids (front and back) and only weighs about 125 lbs. The best feature is I can haul 1200 lbs on top of it I make handmade outdooor furniture and take my camper and furniture to shows. I can haul 8 adirondack chairs and stools on top and still have the bed for miscellaneous stuff and also pull my little 13' Burro. So far it has been great. Each lid comes off in about 5 minutes and the whole thing can be taken off in about 30.
billhenry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Roll-n-Lock is a good product

Originally Posted by The Minimalist View Post
Check our Roll and Lock,

Roll-N-Lock | Retractable Tonneau Cover For Your Truck Bed

I have have been using on since 2011 and am very happy with it. I have several friends that are very satisfied as well.

One big advantage is that it will make your tailgate lockable.
I bought a new Roll-n-Lock in 1997 for my Ford F150 and both are still working great. Its made from very sturdy powder coated aluminum. When your cargo is too tall to be covered the top easily slides back out of the way. When its closed and locked your cargo is very secure. I think its worth the extra cost if you plan on keeping your truck several years. After 18 years of use it looks like it will last as long as my old Ford.
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:34 PM   #19
Name: Bob
Trailer: Rockwood Roo
Look for a Bak flip folding cover on line . I put one on my f 150 and love it. It will keep your stuff secure and only weighs about 30 or 40 lbs. easy to install I am mechanicaly challenged and did it in 45 min. with minimum tools. I have had the Lear tonneau cover ,it looked great but you couldn't carry anything tall. Same with a shell on my next truck. With the bak flip you only lose a few inches near the cab when it is folded up .
Bobj 616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:49 PM   #20
Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I have an EXTANG Full Tilt on my Tacoma.
The EXTANG was the only light weight, less than 20 pounds, that could be made to accommodate a cross bed tool box.
It has an aluminum frame and is covered with a vinyl material that has a life time guarantee.
It hinges behind the tool box and lifts from the rear.
If I need the whole bed it takes about 10 minutes to remove the top and all of the mounting hardware.
Just the Tonneau self can be removed in about a minute.
I've had it on my truck for almost 7 years and have had no problems with it.
I did need a corner bracket, called them and had it in 3 days at no cost.
It looks as good as the day I bought it.
I've had caps and prefer this arrangement.
If I need the whole bed it can be had with a minimal of effort and I don't have to worry about where to store the cap. if you're interested.

Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #21
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
A.R.E. cap with windoors on each side.
Attached Thumbnails
Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:17 PM   #22
Trailer: Escape 19 ft
Bottom line -- how much stuff do you want to carry? Caps obviously offer way more room. I have one (plus Yakima racks on top) and wouldn't be without it. But I take lots of toys with me.

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 PM   #23
Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
We just put an Extang Solid fold cover on my girlfriends truck and it is one of those solid covers that is about an inch thick. It requires no tools to install and only takes a couple of minutes.
Captleemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #24
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I really like my aluminum topper with side window doors. Now that I have had one with the side doors I am never going back to anything else. I really like the extra lockable space and the side windows are large enough not to obstruct my rear views. I have thought about a cover on occasion but have been spoiled by too many years with a topper and can't see giving up the space. I actually have a false floor built in the back of the truck (just clears the wheel wells) that gear (folding camp table, chairs, etc.) slides under and the height makes it easy to reach everything else thrown on top.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 AM   #25
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
I have a fiberglass tonneau on my Fronter - love the way it looks vs a cap and happy with the room but if I was to get another tonneau I would go with the Bakflip Hard cover one. Just spent a week using a truck with one hauling a lot of gear around and it worked great.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 01:35 PM   #26
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
I needed more covered space than a tonneau cover provides so I went with a cap (shell), specifically a SnugTop XV (Xtra Vision), color matched to my Tundra.
Attached Thumbnails
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #27
Name: Patrick
Trailer: R-Vision Trail Lite
New York
You will find a cap (fiberglass of course!) will hold more stuff and as an added benefit (because the height of the cap will line up with the trailer's height) you will improve your gas mileage while towing....and when not towing as well.

I also recommend the side opening windows on the cap for easier access to stuff when you are connected to the Travel Trailer.

Happy Camping.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 03:32 PM   #28
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
The cap is streamlined but also weighs a couple of hundred pounds, something you will be carrying both towing and not, it will impact mileage.

Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote