Too cool for Tranny - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #1

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Too cool for Tranny

There has been a lot of talk about the merits of a transmission cooler because it keeps the tranny fluid cooler when towing. This is fair enough advice. Many only to on an occasional basis. As a result, the transmission cooler is only needed a small percentage of the time. An engine generally runs better once it has warmed up a little. Is there any consequence in a transmission running too cool? Thoughts?

Derek
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #2

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
You bring up a good point Derek. I'm not sure about transmission temps possibly running too cool, but it is possible to have problems if engine oil runs too cool. Which is why the modern way to "control" engine oil is to pass it thru a heat exchanger that is part of the engine coolant system. That way, the oil runs in a range that is "the right" temperature, instead of too cool, or too hot.

I suppose that in very cold weather you could run a tranny too cool if you had a regular old fashioned "air" cooler plumbed in, but again, coming from me, that is just a guess.
Maybe someone with experience rebuilding auto trannies could chime in on this. I have almost zero experience with auto trans, as I have always been a manual transmission kind of purchaser.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
The service manager where we buy our vehicles told me that both our Chrysler minivan, no tow package, and our Chevy Silverado with tow package, have transmission coolers. FWIW
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #4

Name: Derek
Trailer: 1973 boler 13', Earlton On
Ontario
Registry
Another issue that this topic brings up is the "transmission cooler bypass valve.". Any thoughts for or against one of these?
glamourpets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
The cooler the better for a transmission. If you change the fluid in accordance with your manual, it will last forever.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #6

Name: Daniel A.
Trailer: Bigfoot 17.0 1991 dlx
British Columbia
Registry
Heat is the number one killer of transmissions followed by lack of servicing.

Even putting a bypass on in my view just means one more thing to leak down the road.
Daniel A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Cold transmission oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamourpets View Post
Another issue that this topic brings up is the "transmission cooler bypass valve.". Any thoughts for or against one of these?
When I lived in northern Minnesota ,the morning temperature would reach -50 Deg F (70 below windchill) .The automatic transmission fluid would thicken up and you could put the car in drive , give it some gas and it would just sit there for what seemed a lifetime then finally move. We would then drive 4 or 5 miles in first gear (D1) until the fluid warmed up enough so the transmission would shift. I was told the bypass valve was to help bring the transmission up to proper temperature faster. Another trick was to tie the gas line to the heater hose and insulate around both lines so the fuel was warmer when it reached the carb. I am not an automotive engineer , I just know it worked
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote