Too crazy or good fun? Legacy pulling 13ft'er across country - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #15

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Andrew your Subaru should clearly state in the manual what its tow capacity is & what it needs to meet that capacity - rather than relying on what you read on the internet I would go with what the manual actually says. I know that my Subaru's manual has a pretty long section dedicated to towing, that is well worth reading as each year of car and model is different. Or at least that has been my experience - on my 4th Subaru. :-))

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #16

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Obviously, the Subaru has evolved and improved in twenty years, but I'd make sure I looked into brakes.
luv my Subaru but I personally wouldnt tow anything behind it over 1000 lbs as the manual states without good brakes on the trailer and an equally as good brake controller.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #17

Name: Andrew
Trailer: In the Market
Connecticut
Thank you for all of the input!

For specifics on the vehicle, it is a 2.5i sedan actually (not outback), not the wagon. But I know the class 2 hitch works with the sedan. I do not own this car yet, I was planning on purchasing it as my daily driver since my older Subaru is not built for daily driving anymore. I will try to find a manual on it even though I don't own it yet.

If I do go with this setup, I will make sure it has good trailer brakes even if I go with Thomas's suggestion: "The simplest fix is to have a new axle with electric brakes installed at about $600."
Old 11-18-2012, 05:25 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealous Interiors View Post
I do not own this car yet, I was planning on purchasing it as my daily driver since my older Subaru is not built for daily driving anymore. I will try to find a manual on it even though I don't own it yet.."
Before you buy it ask who ever is selling it to just show you the manual & just ask for a few minutes to read it.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #19

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
I thought Google knew everything.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #20

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
"If it is on the internet, it must be true!!"
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #21

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
My opinion is that I wouldn't. I say this as an owner of a 2011 2.5 legacy that has towed with it.

This was enough for the car, still had to downshift it on some hills, usually only to fifth, some down to fourth. It also pushed on the car more than i thought it would in high wind (gusting over 40). Gas mileage went from 29-30 down to 22.

I think the car is solid enough, I just don't think the power is there. I might not even pull that 4x8 trailer behind it again.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #22

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
only if you are one of those with the location serves turn on your phone, then they really do know everything!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:07 PM   #23

British Columbia
Registry
I have a hunch the sedan probable wouldnt be as solid a tow as the Wagon or the Outback either way.

Jared not surprised with that set up that up that you noticed some wind action. Why the long tongue on such a light small trailer?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #24

Kansas
I got it that way. I suspect it's a modified boat or pwc trailer, as the end of the frame, and the last three crossmembers were rusted out. I cut them out and welded new parts in when I put new wood on it.

I left it that way, because it works out well for launching this:

Actually, one of the kayaks was left in mn on this trip (gave it to my mom), and the yellow one came back on the trailer with the other kayak, so I had a little more weight/wind resistance.

Sorry for the hijack…
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #25

Connecticut
I may be young, but I'm not part of the crew that believes everything on the internet is true! I would never hook up a trailer without consulting with the people with experience, along with the manual. But I saw this information on multiple websites, so until then I am going to believe the Legacy's towing limit is around 2700 pounds with trailer brakes.

Jared, thank you for the input it's nice to hear from someone with an Outback. Do you have a 6 speed? Even with my turbo Subaru not towing, I still downshift to 4th on the highway sometimes while going up a hill, I just think it's geared that way. But if I keep hearing from Subaru owners that tow, I guess I will have to scrap the idea.

My point is that if I had a Tacoma with similar tow rating (another vehicle I am considering), I feel like everyone would be all for it because it is a truck. I am hoping to get passed the biases that you need a truck! That way I can keep the car after the trip as a daily driver. An '04 Tacoma has only 142hp/160lb torque, and weighs less than the Legacy sedan. But if I want 4wd in the Tacoma, the gas mileage is pretty bad.

Taken from the internets so this info may not be true about the Tacoma:
"Weights: gross vehicle weight rating (lbs) 4,250, curb weight (lbs) 2,770, gross trailer weight braked (lbs) 3,500 and max payload (lbs) 1,480"

Sorry if I seem defensive in this post, I love this Subaru idea, but I also do not want to be putting others in danger.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM   #26

Connecticut
Carol, I think you have a good point about the sedan vs. wagon, I am going to start researching this!
Old 11-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #27

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealous Interiors View Post
Jared, thank you for the input it's nice to hear from someone with an Outback. Do you have a 6 speed? Even with my turbo Subaru not towing, I still downshift to 4th on the highway sometimes while going up a hill, I just think it's geared that way. But if I keep hearing from Subaru owners that tow, I guess I will have to scrap the idea.
Actually its Jared that has the Legacy its me that tows with the Outback. hate to say it but I have a hunch that towing with the Legacy is probable not the same as with an Outback. I dont have time to look right now but I know the Outback has great ground clearance and possible longer wheel base and a heavier? both the later items will impact how well a something tows or doesnt tow. My current Outback is an automatic. Have towed it thousands of miles without a problem and would suggest that if you looked at an Outback rather than a Legacy sedan you would be a much happier camper with the way it handles a 13' trailer. I have had it in very high winds - high enough to put a semi side ways in front of me but I didnt feel any wind.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #28

Kansas
Yes, it's a 6 speed.

What speed do you plan on driving, and how far? Hilly areas? Pulling it through the hills in Iowa sucked, I was rowing through gears every two minutes. Cruise control became pointless. I was honestly going to get a 13' scamp or teardrop, and pull it with the car. My family is 650 miles away in mn. After pulling that trailer, I realized several things.

1. I would have to drive slow.
2. The gas mileage was dropping off so hard, it wouldn't be much of a benefit vs. the truck.
3. It was making the car work harder than I liked.

I scrapped all plans of that, sucked up the fact I was going to get crappy mileage, and bought a scamp fifth wheel for the truck instead. No worries about it being hard on the truck.

Now, if you have a park you like that's 100 miles away, and you can putter there, go for it. If you're planning big trips, I would reconsider, especially since you don't have the tow vehicle yet. I would look for one with the six or a turbo four.

It's not the handling that would worry me, I think it would do fine in anything but very high crosswinds. I just think it needs more power, IMHO.

If its an outback wagon, definite more wheelbase and I believe ground clearance, also. Standard outback is actually smaller, my sis had one.