Too crazy or good fun? Legacy pulling 13ft'er across country - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #57

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
My comments regarding the Legacy are only to give my experience with towing the trailer. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Subaru and LOVE my SCAMP and I LOVE towing the Scamp with the Subaru. You should know that I am 5'4" and there isn't much knee room for me as a driver in any sedan. When the 1" thick brake controller was added next to the steering column there was even less room for my knees. I cover the controller with a neoprene cover and that helps to cushion it. The issue with the tow hitch scraping is minor and can be avoided by going slowly over speed bumps (as they are designed) and look ahead for steep driveways and avoid them or approach them diagonally. It's actually great fun to see people's reactions to seeing the 13' Scamp being towed by a relatively small sedan.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:19 PM   #58

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
It might be helpful to know that I owned the Subaru Legacy sedan long before I owned the Scamp trailer. I chose the Scamp because the Subaru could tow it and I was not in a position to, nor did I want to change vehicles. Looking back I would still have chosen the 13' Scamp no matter what vehicle I had for towing.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:30 AM   #59

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
How long is this trip, and is the trailer only getting used for this one trip? I didn't get what you were saying about selling a different tow vehicle after this one trip. I think it will tow it ok, you'll just be going slow and have your foot buried in the throttle body all the time. If you're content doing 55 mph like some, it'll probably work. Me, I would be going nuts. I don't have unlimited vacation, I want to get where I'm going so I can enjoy it, not spends time off on the road. 55 is another 3 hours of driving on top of my normally 10 hour trip.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 AM   #60

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jared,
If you have a 3 hour difference in a 10 hour trip it means you are driving around 75 mph. Mighty fast for most trailer drivers.

Of course all stops, food and gas take the same amount of time, a constant portion of drive time, requiring higher speed to maintain the average.

We drive at 55 to 60 mph with a small engine and fortunately have time. However it does not mean the throttle is buried in the floor board. We typically are in 4th gear around 3000 rpm, a very happy point for Honda' s engine.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:09 AM   #61

Kansas
Yep, that's the speed limit. I'm also using a half ton pickup rated to tow 9600 lbs, with a fifth wheel trailer that weighs not much more than yours, you can't compare the two when you're using a CRV with a bumper pull.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:24 AM   #62

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Another option is to install the 16 foot VT surge brake system, but that takes a lot of scrambling to find parts.
Doubt if that is an option without changing the springs on the VT surge brake controller. The lighter CT would not initiate the surge brake as fast and it would likely only react during a panic stop. Most parts are available on the UHaul web site. May want to look at the system used on TAB's which are relatively light weight.
Michael J
Old 11-20-2012, 07:35 AM   #63

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
This is true of surge-type brakes, which is one reason for their unsuitability for RV trailers.

Francesca
agree that most are, but there are some called free backing drum brakes that at are specifically designed to allow backing, such as those on the UHaul VT. I Back it up an inclined drive with no issues if I take it slow. My two cents

Michael J
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #64

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Another option is to install the 16 foot VT surge brake system, but that takes a lot of scrambling to find parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Doubt if that is an option without changing the springs on the VT surge brake controller. The lighter CT would not initiate the surge brake as fast and it would likely only react during a panic stop. Most parts are available on the UHaul web site. May want to look at the system used on TAB's which are relatively light weight.
Michael J
I should have said a VT- type surge system. You would need to track down the VT drums either from UHaul, or find functional equivalents. It has been said the the 10 lug hole drums sold at UHaul fit both the car trailer and the VT - I can't verify.

Once you have the drums, you can freely buy 10" hydraulic brakes and tongue mounted actuators that are for lighter trailers.

Example: Hydraulic Surge Trailer Brake Actuators at Trailer Parts Superstore
Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #65

Florida
Trailer Speed Limits

Jared,

My point is most people who have fiberglass trailers don't tow at 75 mph no matter how big their tow vehicle or how small their trailer.

I believe there are only 4 or 5 states that have trailer speed limits of 75 mph, by far most state speed limits are 65 mph or less. The reality is that it's not legal to tow in most of the country at 75 mph and specifically not Kansas (70).

The typical state max tow speed is between 55 and 65 mph. For most small fiberglass trailers there are 4 cylinder vehicles capable of towing them well.

As far as our 'bumper tow' Honda CRV goes, it tows well, reliably and efficiently. I know many on the site don't like our use of our CRV, that's fine with me. We are careful, do obey state speed limits and the ratings of our tires.

Wishing you safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #66

Kansas
There is no trailer speed limit in ks per highway patrol, not sure where you get 70 from. None in mo, ia, or mn, either. As for most people not towing that fast with them, most people on here are already pushing the limits of their tow vehicles, I'm not even close. I prefer a larger margin, each to their own. 75 with mine is safer than much of what I see on here at 55, IMHO. Yesterday I saw a new exploder pulling an airstream that was at least 25', with their headlights pointed at the sky, not even a wd hitch. I hope they just take themselves out.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:11 AM   #67

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Andrew,
I've read all of this thread, and for sure, there are plenty of thoughts and opinions that have now been covered. Lots for you to ruminate. So I'm going to throw another line of reasoning out there, which is not directly related to your question, but I feel it is important to consider.
You state that you have neither the camper nor the tow vehicle yet, and you are planning a "big trip" apparently. My suggestion would be to allow yourself many, many months of ownership of both the car and trailer prior to your big trip. Do your research, buy your rig, and then go for short weekend trips to a local state park or similar, and that will give you time to come back home and work out all the little details. And there will be many, many "little details" and things you will want to customize to make it all work well for you. You will find that early on, you'll likely take some things with you that you really don't need, and vice versa.
If you read some of Norm's ( Norm and Jenny ) many posts, you will see that even with all the years/miles of experience, they are still fine tuning their rig to be just the way they want it.
My overall point is to do your homework early, choose a trailer that will make you happy, buy a TV that can handle it, then iron out all the maintenance/upgrade items, well before striking out on the "big trip". That way, you'll be better prepared to have a great trip with the least likelihood of problems.

Good luck with it, and stay in touch here. It will be a fun journey. Both the purchase, the work on the rig and the use of it, it's all fun.

george
Old 11-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #68

Florida
Jared,

I took a quick look at the states you mentioned. States in the mid west tend to have higher speeds, longer distances and lower density traffic.

I also took a quick count of states with 55 mph and 65 mph.

Iowa 65 mph
MN 70 mph
MO 70 mph

16 states are 55 mph.
17 states are 65 mph

Source: State Towing Laws for RVs

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #69

Kansas
The site is wrong. Ks, mo, ia, and mn have no trailer limits.

Ks speed limit on interstate is 75, the rest are 70. I did my research.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #70

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
It's odd that we all keep trying to teeter on the edge. Buying the least capable tow for the most trailer.
Travel without anxiety should be the goal.
Which is why I leave the bocce balls and the cast iron pans at home...
As a general rule, I find more of the conversation about tow vehicles on MFROG to be closer to "paranoid wretched excess" than to "teetering on the edge", most offering more heat than light with no more information than can be found in the owner's manual.
Informed common sense should lead to "rightsized" and "adequately equipped" tow vehicles.
Either extreme can be ridiculous and negate the point of small fiberglass trailers.
At any rate, a tow vehicle with twice the required capacity,adequately equipped, and adult driven should not be denied it's place on the road.
Drive safely and enjoy your trip!