Too crazy or good fun? Legacy pulling 13ft'er across country - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2012, 12:37 PM   #71

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep, that's the speed limit. I'm also using a half ton pickup rated to tow 9600 lbs, with a fifth wheel trailer that weighs not much more than yours, you can't compare the two when you're using a CRV with a bumper pull.
This is true...and to expand on your point, the same is true in reverse.

What one can/should do with a fifth wheel doesn't follow with a bumper pull trailer regardless of tug size. A fifth wheel is a very different tow, performance-wise.

I think the "speed limit" argument superfluous- regardless of any stated upper limits on a road, it's still only an upper limit. Every driver is required to adjust speed for "conditions", and those conditions can certainly include speeds lower than 70 while towing.

As to the supposed "danger" of going slower than 70:

I think this logic flawed since outside of perhaps Montana, most roads with 70mph speed limits are multi-lane highways...right lane travel at 60-65 is perfectly safe....and safer.

Francesca

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #72

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Yep, that's the speed limit. I'm also using a half ton pickup rated to tow 9600 lbs, with a fifth wheel trailer that weighs not much more than yours, you can't compare the two when you're using a CRV with a bumper pull.
Having pulled through many states with the speed limit of 75mph all I can say is thats the max speed limit & it doesnt mean you have to do it. Actually confirmed that with highway patrol in Montana once. Most if not all states have something written into their laws that says you dont have to do the speed limit if unsafe to do so. If your running ST tires it is very unsafe and even if your not a good argument can be made as to why pulling a trailer at 75 mph is unsafe regardless of the size of tug or tire type. In fact in my experience the majority pulling travel trailers dont do 75 mpg regardless of tug size. Actually I have found that even when I stay to under my trailer tires rating of 65 mph I pass more big tugs than small tugs ;-) Yup even on some pretty big hills - actually the longer the hill the more I normally end up passing.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #73

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
I think that the OP has staggered off, wondering what kind of asylum he has wandered into.
Old 11-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #74

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
I think that the OP has staggered off, wondering what kind of asylum he has wandered into.

My guess is that he's too busy to post here because by now he's probably swamped with private messages... each of which sounds convincing, and all of which are contradictory!

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 02:13 PM   #75

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post

My guess is that he's too busy to post here because by now he's probably swamped with private messages... each of which sounds convincing, and all of which are contradictory!

Francesca

I still think we need a permanent, on going thread called "Your Tow Vehicle is Too Small - No It's Not- Yes It Is".

If that works well, we can expand to "Only Old Women Drive at 55 MPH - Oh, Yea? - Yea!"

Old 11-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #76

Registry
Quote:
I still think we need a permanent, on going thread called "Your Tow Vehicle is Too Small - No It's Not- Yes It Is".

If that works well, we can expand to "Only Old Women Drive at 55 MPH - Oh, Yea? - Yea!"

Great idea!

I suggest an all-encompassing title: " I'm All Wet??? You're All Wet!!!! "

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 03:11 PM   #77

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Smile Towing with a Subaru

We have towed our Trillium with our 2000 Subaru Outback 5 speed stick, rated 2000#, for four years and have had no issues.
Well, we did have one. We had a clunking noise when we first started towing and it turned out to be that we didn't have the hitch ball torqued correctly. After torquing to 150 in-lbs have had no issues.
We have been to Arizona three times and Cranbrook BC once. Our Trillium was weighed at Quartzsite and came in at 1840#. We will win no drag races, of course, but we do get 19.5mpg.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DCP_0146.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	53012
We have been limited to 32mph ascending Crow's Nest Highway to Stagleap Provincial Park going east, and 40 mph ascending the Siskiyou Pass in Oregon, but we are no worse than some of the semi trucks.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #78

Name: Jason
Trailer: Egg Camper
Tennessee
Back to whether the Subie can tow a 13' Scamp. I commented in another thread on towing with a Tacoma. Over there I said something to the effect of "you can tow with this, but will you want to?"

To be clear - you want to tow with a car that has a 2700lb tow rating. You want to tow a trailer that has a stated weight under 1500lb, possibly 1200lbs. I think you will be fine, even with your gear in the car (just leave the kitchen sink at home).

The 2.5 non turbo was never a "fast" car. And getting low 20's MPG towing is still better than a trunk getting mid to low teens towing. So long as you are willing to not be the first to the top of every mountain pass, then it should be fine. If you tow the trailer a lot then maybe a more powerful tug would better trade off, but if you are more concerned on daily driver duties and go on less trips then go with the Subie.

BTW, the Outback was just a trim level on a Legacy for years. It added plastic body cladding and a little ground clearance. No extra wheel base. I haven't looked in the last couple years to see if the same is still true.

Jason
Old 11-20-2012, 03:37 PM   #79

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
We have towed our Trillium with our 2000 Subaru Outback 5 speed stick, rated 2000#, for four years and have had no issues.
Well, we did have one. We had a clunking noise when we first started towing and it turned out to be that we didn't have the hitch ball torqued correctly. After torquing to 150 in-lbs have had no issues.
We have been to Arizona three times and Cranbrook BC once. Our Trillium was weighed at Quartzsite and came in at 1840#. We will win no drag races, of course, but we do get 19.5mpg.
Attachment 53012
We have been limited to 32mph ascending Crow's Nest Highway to Stagleap Provincial Park going east, and 40 mph ascending the Siskiyou Pass in Oregon, but we are no worse than some of the semi trucks.
I just noticed the axle is more towards the rear in the trailer body. I went out and looked at our Egg - it is almost perfectly in the middle (eye balling it). I wonder about that and tongue weight.

Jason
Old 11-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #80

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGhost View Post
I just noticed the axle is more towards the rear in the trailer body. I went out and looked at our Egg - it is almost perfectly in the middle (eye balling it). I wonder about that and tongue weight.

Jason
The placement of axles is a design element that differs from trailer to trailer. A lot depends on where interior fixtures/tanks etc. end up, since that has an effect on the targeted proportion of around 60% weight ahead of the axle.

Francesca
Old 11-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #81

Name: Andrew
Trailer: In the Market
Connecticut
Quote:
Asylum because of this crazy idea?..

And I agree with the comment on trying this setup with smaller trips. I will go on a few weekend trips to start, and make sure that I am well prepared!

I will keep looking for campers and will update the thread with my progress!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #82

Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zealous Interiors View Post
Asylum because of this crazy idea?..
No, asylum because every time a new poster asks for advice on a smaller tow vehicle it sets off a fresh round of arguments.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM   #83

Registry
Quote:
No, asylum because every time a new poster asks for advice on a smaller tow vehicle it sets off a fresh round of arguments.
That is, if you can call the same old roundy-round "fresh"...

Francesca
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #84

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles
The placement of axles is a design element that differs from trailer to trailer. A lot depends on where interior fixtures/tanks etc. end up, since that has an effect on the targeted proportion of around 60% weight ahead of the axle.

Francesca
Well, I understand that basic principle. But it made me think of small cars and SUVs that have a low tongue weight rating relative to total trailer weight rating.

And more specifically the Casita came to mind. I passed on looking at them because of weight issues, even though they appear to be well built rigs. The pictures I have seen show the axle very far back and I have been told they have a high tongue weight. Both non starters for me.

I think there is some variation between manufacturers concerning towing guide lines. Seems to be based on what that builder thinks is more important - stable at higher speeds or easier to back into a spot, or ???

Jason