Too rainy to unhitch! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-13-2009, 07:24 PM   #15
Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
We rarely unhook and never use the stabilizers (we spent years sailing). Although, Gina D. did warn that this could happen:
Attached Thumbnails

Patrick Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:17 PM   #16
Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie

I was thinking the same thing Don....................
YUP---- from my time on the road driving truck... doesn't keep me awake when it's sleepy-poo time. Besides, since it's a percolater, we just pull the guts and warm it in the morning with a dash of fresh water added. Not bitter---- goooood.... Larry

Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
After I got the Burro down, I did it again...

yes, I have done it with no issues. I DO take the tension off the WDH and drop the jack down to stabilize the front. If only for one nite I don't bother with the stabilizer jacks on the trailer. Usually its a "Park, eat, sleep" situation and it just does not matter.

I have pulled into campsites as a destination and know I would be there for a couple of nites, but still not drive anywhere, THEN I drop the jacks but don't unhook.

If your car is set up to charge the battery and it does not automatically switch that connection out when you turn the rig off, you will want to detach the umbilical cord if you are a heavy electric user... your trip out the next morning may be delayed if you don't!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #18
Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Did that once, that's why I carry a JUMPIT now.
Plus it can extend your off grid by a few hours if needed.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:34 PM   #19
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
We stay on the hitch when traveling, but do level and use the stabs and tongue jack. Part of the reason we switched out TV's to a PU with locking bed cover was so we don't carry anything in the Scamp anymore when we're towing. Now if it's raining we can pull in-level on the hitch and jump in the trailer without having to unload it first.

Larry, u are my coffee drinkin hero! Wish I could drink one at night...
Scamp Owners International
2005 Escape 17-B
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #20
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
A point to be made about pulling the umbilical from the tug if you're stopped for any length of time is it causes you to go right to where you can check the coupler and receiver before you pull out and go. More than one person has had someone else screw around meticulously in that area and has had problems a bit down the road.
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #21
Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I come from sailing too ( Patrick), and whenever I would undo something that I wanted to make sure was "re-did" before getting underway, I would put a certain, bright "scunchi" type ponytail holder on the tiller to remind me (or anyone else) that there was something important to do before moving.

So I think if I undid the "umbilical" I might want to put something like that on the shifter of the TV, or someplace else obvious. Granted, you should check the rig always before leaving, but it's just a reminder since the wiring hookup is not as obvious as the tongue jack or the like.

As I found out when I first got a hitch put on my car, the "bulb out" light on my dash lights up whenever the trailer wiring is in use (if lights are on, or a blinker, or brakes depressed). This is because it uses a sensor that tells it to light up when there is any imbalance in loads. I would have needed some more wiring done to correct it. But, after driving with it for a week or so, I found that I like it that way. I always know if my trailer wiring is hooked up or not, which has come in handy. And the dash light is not a distracting, bright one.

Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:34 PM   #22
Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Many brake controllers will give a visual indication that the brakes aren't functioning if the umbilical cable isn't connected.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 05:23 PM   #23
Trailer: 73 Boler (modified)
Many brake controllers will give a visual indication that the brakes aren't functioning if the umbilical cable isn't connected.
I don't stay hitched. i unhook, but keep the umbilical cord attached. My egg has 4 automotive scissor jacks attached to the frame on 4 corners, so often times in my quests for level in imperfect spots, I have a wheel off the ground. I know the scissors can take it, considering a single scissor is rated for 2000 lbs, and i'm using 4 at once. i'm never concerned about it rolling away.

I too can drink coffee at night. drinking one right now...going to bed in about an hour...
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 10:04 PM   #24
Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp
I have stayed hitched before...never worried too much about it. From the beating my hitch (entire tow kit) takes on the road, I figure little ol' me am not going to hurt it!
Monica M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:59 PM   #25
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I never unhitch for an overnighter. I have a large level on the front of the Casita where I can see it from the drivers seat. That gets the trailer level side to side. The tongue jack or wooden blocks level it front to back so the fridge is comfortable. If the fridge is comfortable, we are comfortable.

I have an battery charging isolator, so I never unplug unless I am unhitching.

Raya L has the right idea about "reminders" so that you don't forget something that needs to be done before driving off.

Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote